Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator

I have had our motorhome stored in our building and pluged in to 30 amp for about a month. In the last 2 days I went in to check it. A noise was coming from the generator sounding like a pump or like it was wanting to try to start. I tried several thing and the way I got it stop was when I pushed the start switch. The second day was the same. Ideas please. Jim
Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Rig and gen set info would help somebody chime in who has a similar setup.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

2008 Vectra . I think 8000 diesel generator. Jim
Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Rudolph,
I had the identical problem. The noise is the primer on the generator. The problem is the control module on the panel inside the motor home. Call Cummins/Onan and explain the problem. They had a "service notice" on this a few years ago and they should replace it for free. I will try to find previous thread on this website that helped me find the problem. In the meantime you need to lift off the cover on the control module (it is merely held there with a sheet of magnet; there are no screws to get it off). Then unscrew the two screws holding the unit to the wall, and then pull out the quick connect wire connector on the back but don't drop the wires out of site. This will obviously disconnect the unit and it will stop trying to prime your generator. (The problem is a coding error in the module and it needs to be replaced). More later if I can find the thread. I hope this helps.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Onan 8000 Quiet Diesel ticking when not running

I have the same ticking noise in my unit. It happens when the unit is not running and hasen't been run for some time. Push the start button and the ticking (sounds like pump) noise stops until the next day. I am going to attempt to contact Onan to see what they have to say.
Fix it Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Do you have an automatic start feature on your generator??
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes I do have the auto start options. I was just out looking at the unit and tried to start it
The plot has thickened. Now all I have is clicking and no start. Looking at the flashing light it indicates that it is in preheat mode. I stood there with my finger on the button for about 3 minutes and no go. A big click every once in a while but, no go.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Outside start switch Onan Quiet Diesel

Onan Silent Diesel outside start switch does not work
It seems that the outside start switch on the genitor will not start the unit. Perhaps this is some kind of a safety feature, This Onan is installed in an Itasca Horizon 2008 TD. All inside start stop switches work normaly.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Dave,

If the start switch works from inside of the coach but not at the generator, the start switch on the control board or control panel is defective. You can test the switch with an ohm meter.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote