Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Generator 25amp breaker trips on startup

We bought a 2018 Minnie Winnie 22M on August 29, 2017. The dealer installed an GoPower Elite system for us. IC2000 inverter/charger with internal transfer switch. On our initial trip to check it out everything seemed to work when plugged into shore power. We then then moved to a dry site. We plugged the shore power cord into the generator receptacle per the manual. The generator fired up no problem but the coach had no power.

Took it into Fraserway believing it to be a warranty issue. They had it for about a month. When we picked it up, they said the 25amp breaker on the Onan tripped every time the generator was started. The solution they offered was to start the generator without the plug in. Wait 30 seconds to 2 minuets (depending on the tech) then plug it in. Or install a transfer switch at a cost of approximately $700.

Another suggestion they & the Winnebago help line said would be to try shutting off the main panel 30amp breaker with the generator plugged in to see if the generator 25amp would trip after waiting the specified time and switching the main breaker back on.

I also talked to Cummins/Onan. They sent me a operators manual. It suggested it would take a short or an overload to trip the 25amp breaker. Fraserway said their test indicated no short or overload.

I also read in the inverter manual that it was possible to set max power draw to the generator’s 25amps (the default on the inverter is 30amps)

Suggestions?
Pnutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Still sounds like a warranty issue to me. Hopefully others with more electrical knowledge will have an idea.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like the circuit breaker is tripping on the inrush as there is no delay when you are plugged in directly. Do you know if the air conditioner was on?

I thought all Minnie Winnie motorhomes had a 4KY Cummins Onan generator? If so, it should have a 30 amp circuit breaker on the generator.
lotsoftoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:48 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Check your manual. Maybe you need a bigger circuit breaker. Surprised a transfer switch wasn't part of the install. I think a transfer switch is a $200-$300 item + labor if you can't do it yourself.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
Sounds like the circuit breaker is tripping on the inrush as there is no delay when you are plugged in directly. Do you know if the air conditioner was on?

I thought all Minnie Winnie motorhomes had a 4KY Cummins Onan generator? If so, it should have a 30 amp circuit breaker on the generator.
Nothing on except the inverter/charger in sense mode I believe.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Nothing on except the inverter/charger in sense mode I believe.

Tags
generator