Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2006, 05:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

For the life of me I cannnot find in the literature if the gen set charges the house batteries....... We will be dry camping for a few days next week, trying to cover all my bases
Winnie Adventurer 35 U 2004
Thanks
Walt NJ

New Monmouth, NJ
WALLY NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

For the life of me I cannnot find in the literature if the gen set charges the house batteries....... We will be dry camping for a few days next week, trying to cover all my bases
Winnie Adventurer 35 U 2004
Thanks
Walt NJ

New Monmouth, NJ
Old 01-18-2006, 06:37 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I believe the answer is yes, however not as fast as the alternator.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I don't know whether it's a good idea or not but I used to run my genset and hook up a battery charger from one of the outside plugs to the coach battery.

That was on my class c that only had one coach battery.

Can somebody who is not electrically challenged tell me if that's a good idea or a disaster waiting to happen?

Doug

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yes, the coach batteries are charged by the Generator. However, as previously said, it is very slow. Using a battery charger plugged into the AC current from the generator is much faster.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DSouthw524:
Yes, the coach batteries are charged by the Generator. However, as previously said, it is very slow. Using a battery charger plugged into the AC current from the generator is much faster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
====================
I leave a maintenance free fully automatic batter charger plugged into my two cabin batterys all the time, plugged into the inside of the cabin. That way they stay charged on ground power or Gen power when running works ok for me.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: The only potential downside to having multiple charging devices connected is that of overcharging the batteries (unless the voltage is high enough to damage one charger). This usually doesn't happen with small chargers of the type you refrer to. Most chargers are designed to simply not charge when the voltage of the battery is sufficiently high. The second charging device can't tell that other chargers are hooked but will taper their charge when a higher voltage is sensed. High output chargers of the type used to start an automobile when the battery is dead might actually damage the other charger by raising the voltage too far.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

As others have said, yes the generator does charge house batteries.

Since you're only going for a few days dry camping all should be fine. You'll want to crank up the genny in the morning to run the microwave, hair dryer, coffee maker, etc. anyway. While it's running the batteries will be charging. Run it for at least 1 hour in the morning.

You may want to run it in the evening too for coffee maker, crock pot, etc. Any appliance that draws a lot of electricity just crank up the genny and run it. Your batteries will charge.

When the genny is off, limit your use of power to only necessary lights, TV, etc. Don't run your high wattage appliances off the inverter. You should be able to run a TV, Satellite receiver, a couple of lights, laptop computer, etc. in the evening with no problem. (run the laptop on it's own battery, then plug it in when the generator is running and charge it).

Be sure that you eliminate unnecessary draws on the batteries. Ensure the fridge is in GAS Only mode. If it has a "climate control" switch or "moisture" switch turn it OFF (it draws DC Voltage to heat an element).

Here's a link to more detail about 12v electric for dry camping.

Mac
Old 01-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You generator does not directly charge your house batteries. In a gas coach the generator supplies power to your convertor. The convertor then charges the house batteries the same as an external battery charger. Most gas Winnebagos have a 45 or 55 amp converter.

When the engine is running both the starting battery and the coach batteries are charged from the engine alternator. The engine and coach batteries are kept separated by a battery isolator. Since the alternator is ~140amp the engine will charge the house batteries faster then the generator/convertor combo.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If I wanted to put a charger on them, would a float charger work, would I need a charger for each battery..?
thanks

New Monmouth, NJ
Old 01-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have been struggling with the same problem - keeping the cranking batteries charged while in storage. This week I installed a Xantrex Truecharge 20+ charger in the compartment next to my batteries. It is a 3 stage 20 amp charger. It will plug into the 110 volt outlet in the entertainment center. I plan to run the generator occasionally while in storage and with this charger plugged in I will be charging both the house and the cranking batteries. I can also plug in while camped with shore power.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote