Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Fun with Heat system 2016 38Q

So the last few nights its been a bit cold by west Georgia standards- low 20's--- and this year I decided not to winterize the unit as we are using it on and off every few weeks. I opted to run heating to protect the rig plumbing from freezing, and added a small heater (250 watt) in the wet bay for a bit more protection.

So I'm trying to learn how to effectively use the heat system and my preference is to utilize the roof mount heat pumps and the wet bay auxiliary heat I added primarily to protect the rig-- hopefully minimizing or eliminating use of the propane heat. Thus I have been fiddling around with various settings. The in- floor gas heat system runs off the front (unit 1) hvac unit and thermostat setting; the rear seems to do its own thing without the gas in floor system.

Last night with mid to low 20 temps I thought I'd try running just the rear unit (unit 2 on the therm) with no gas heat from unit 1. I set the therm at 55 and turned on the wet bay heater I set up. This morning with only the rear number 2 unit running the interior of the coach was only 42 degrees.

As a Georgia boy I'm used to struggling heat pumps when it's cold and dry and never expect any heating miracles from them. But it seems they never put any heat in the heat tanks for this new unit as the 2 roof mounts just don't offer much help.

Am I expecting too much to run these two roof mounts in 20 degree weather without the gas floor heat?

Idea's, recommendations, thoughts?

Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If i'm understanding correctly, then yes, i believe you are expecting too much. Heat pumps do not do well in sub 30 degree weather. I'd say that you need to use electric heat strips if you have them. If not, then the propane. Light bulbs and/or the small heaters like you already have, placed in the right locations can help.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Mudfrog is correct. Heat pumps are worthless when temps are that low. Mine doesn't do much if temps are below about 45 or so. Also, most RV heat pump installations that I've seen only drop air down through the ceiling vents, and are not pushing any heated air into your basement compartments where the plumbing is. Many RV's (not all) have heated water bays as standard or an option, but to the best of my knowledge, that's only from the RV's primary furnace (for example, propane furnace).
Old 12-17-2016, 04:40 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Good Info Thanks

Thanks for the follow up. Looks like I'm expecting too much. Back to kicking in unit 1 with the gas heat and running it with the gas heater and the little auxiliary in the wet bay when its below freezing here. I'll probably leave unit 2 in the rear off.

Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Heat 38Q

I am impressed you held 42 with only heat pump blowing cold air. For heating the inside the fireplace heater puts out some good heat. I assume you are plugged in if you are using the heat pump. You don't need the gas in the bay with your heater there so use that to save propane.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Owners manual says "The heat pump will not operate when outside temp. falls below 36 degrees F." That being said, the older the unit gets, the more finicky it gets. My '03 needed 48ish degrees F in its later years.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Keep in mind, heat rises, cold air falls. There is no chance heated air from the roof top units will reach the floor much less the underbelly area. It would require a drop down duct with a fan to move it. Even then the output is minimal.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

On my 2016 Vista I keep a close eye on my temperature when outside temperature gets down to about 35 degrees. The heat pump will usually freeze up and start blowing cold air. I turn it off and switch to the gas furnace only. It usually takes some time in the sun or outside temperature over 40 degrees to thaw out the heat pump.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat