Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Frustration with Generator

So, we are blessed with an Onan 8000 that has given us no problems. Yet. We can start it at the generator, on the dash and at the OnePlaceSystems panel between the galley and head.

When we are doing 62, and enjoying the view, we often fire up the Onan to drive the basement air. Problem is, when rolling we can't hear the Onan, so would not know if it stopped except if the HVAC stopped.

The EMS displays a light, but you can't see that from up front. There is no indicator light on the dash. Seems like the start/stop rocker switch on the dash should be lighted when the Onan is running and dark when it is off. Has anyone such a switch light? Any ideas how to retrofit such?

Or do we have a solution in search of a problem?

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

my 02 Journey has the same switch location and the dash switch as well as the switch at the panel in the kitchen have a green light that is lit when the Genny is running. These switches are most likely factory installed.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The switch should have a running indicator light. Check out the attached diagram and you can check the connector pins if able. I saw if able because everyone's mechanical / electrical skill varies. The factory switch uses a switch with a light. If you do not see four wires on your switch there are not enough wires to power a indicator light.

I attached a pdf of one page with the wiring but didn't see it in the post. It must need approval.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Thanks Mike. Good info, even without the diagram. I have downloaded most, will look through them.

Replaced my slide lock rocker switch a few weeks ago. Piece of cake. In a much more accessable location. Reaching the rear of the gen start rocker will be an adventure!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, rust