Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Front Windshield Shade

Today, I had the front, powered windshield shade replaced due to a hole in the shade. When I was at the dealer, I tested the shade and it went up and down, but it went down too far and bunched up at the top of the dashboard. (I seem to remember the old shade stopped at the top of the dashboard).

When driving today, I put the shade down to use as a sunshade and when I went to put it back up, while still driving, it would not go up all the way. The only way it would go up is if the ignition was off. Since I never used the shade before it was replaced (except at night) I don't know if this is how it worked before, or they screwed something up.

Can somebody tell me 1) if their front shade stops at the top of the dashboard? and 2) if they can retract their shade all the way while driving down the road?

Thanks
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

It is a programmable shade. There are 2 push buttons on the passenger side up by the top pillar near windshield. One is to program solar shade and the other programs the night shade stops. There is a specific procedure for it with key on and key off. Probably MCD shades. Do a Google search for programming them
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Today, I had the front, powered windshield shade replaced due to a hole in the shade. When I was at the dealer, I tested the shade and it went up and down, but it went down too far and bunched up at the top of the dashboard. (I seem to remember the old shade stopped at the top of the dashboard).

When driving today, I put the shade down to use as a sunshade and when I went to put it back up, while still driving, it would not go up all the way. The only way it would go up is if the ignition was off. Since I never used the shade before it was replaced (except at night) I don't know if this is how it worked before, or they screwed something up.

Can somebody tell me 1) if their front shade stops at the top of the dashboard? and 2) if they can retract their shade all the way while driving down the road?

Thanks
I’m in agreement that this sounds like a programming issue. Our MCD shade on the windshield will only go down part way—as a sort of sun visor—with the engine on. But, it will go all of the way up when the ignition is on. They just don’t want you to accidentally close the shade all of the way while you’re driving.

Going down too far is also adjustable. But for mine. I have to have special keys, that they don’t give the end user, or at least did not give to me. I got this off of the MCD manual.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

So, I looked at my set up and there is one green wire under the passenger A pillar that is labeled for set up. I have no learning key and only have the privacy shade, so cant jump the two wires, to put the motor in learning mode , as per the MCD website. Now what?
Old 12-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
So, I looked at my set up and there is one green wire under the passenger A pillar that is labeled for set up. I have no learning key and only have the privacy shade, so cant jump the two wires, to put the motor in learning mode , as per the MCD website. Now what?
I was thinking of getting the keys from MCD, but haven’t done so yet. Wonder if they’d sell a set?
Old 12-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

So, this morning I went and looked at that green wire a bit more closely and it appears that there is a clear rubber cover on the end of the wire. I tried to take it off to no avail. What I did find is that there is a small, what appears to be a switch, under the rubber cover and if you press it, you can hear it click. I am wondering of this is the switch they keep referring to in the manual, even though it does not look like the switches they have in the manual Maybe they changed vendors?

Anyway, later today or tomorrow, I will get the DW in the motor home, as it appears that the programming is a two person job. I will see if this is really the the switch and if I can program the shade.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
So, this morning I went and looked at that green wire a bit more closely and it appears that there is a clear rubber cover on the end of the wire. I tried to take it off to no avail. What I did find is that there is a small, what appears to be a switch, under the rubber cover and if you press it, you can hear it click. I am wondering of this is the switch they keep referring to in the manual, even though it does not look like the switches they have in the manual Maybe they changed vendors?

Anyway, later today or tomorrow, I will get the DW in the motor home, as it appears that the programming is a two person job. I will see if this is really the the switch and if I can program the shade.
Great. Let is know what happens. I’m curious.

Why not put a call into MCD?

I’d like to adjust mine so that it will go down a smidgen farther when I need it as a sun visor, and my one side closes too far and bunches up a tad.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

So I called MCD and they confirmed that this odd switch at the end of the green wire is a newer version of the programming switch. Sometime this week, I will attempt to program. Wish me luck!
Old 12-10-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
So I called MCD and they confirmed that this odd switch at the end of the green wire is a newer version of the programming switch. Sometime this week, I will attempt to program. Wish me luck!
Cool! Now where did you find that switch? Thanks!
Old 12-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

On mine, it was Buried under the trim on the passenger A pillar at the top where the motor is. On mine there is a yellow wire and a red wire for power that are hooked to the motor. There is also a green wire that has the switch.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
On mine, it was Buried under the trim on the passenger A pillar at the top where the motor is. On mine there is a yellow wire and a red wire for power that are hooked to the motor. There is also a green wire that has the switch.
Thanks again! My coach was built in 2017, so it probably has the older style switch but I’m gonna look anyway. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:12 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Hey, good news I found it! Thought I was was going to have to order some special keys. Thanks for the tip now for the programming...
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Glad I could help. Generally it is other people helping me, so I’m glad I could help someone else.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Glad I could help. Generally it is other people helping me, so I’m glad I could help someone else.
And you certainly did. I’d give you another “feather” in your cap, if I could.

My MCD manual said I needed the keys, so I sort of just set that project aside. But you led me down that right path, and when I went back to MCD’s website, the manual I downloaded from there said any post 2017 unit will have the newer green wire actuation system. Ran out and checked, now that you told me where to look, and there it was, and is.

So I guess one can’t always trust the Manuel’s they put in your RV, is a lesson learned as well. Can’t wait to tweak mine. The closing too far on the passenger side bugs DW (not so much me), but, alas, and of course, I was tasked with solving the issue.

My issue was driving into the sun, especially during the fall, winter and early spring, when the sun is always lower in the sky. I just need the sun visor to be able to go a smidgen lower.

Now that you’ve done that for me, my hat’s off to you...
Old 12-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

my switch was in my bag of manuals. Took a while to figure it out. wire is too short for one person to adjust. Your newer model sounds like a better setup than we have.

Took a while to figure it out, but over 10 years, we have had to reset it about three times.

Two of us working together get it done, following their exact steps in the manual.