Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
abn
Winnebago Camper

During our most recent trip the front tv went on the fritz. Has sound but no picture. Not surprised tho. The rear tv went last year. It wasn't hard to figure out how to get that one out.

Our mh is an 02 Itasca Suncruiser. Does anyone have instructions on how to get the front tv out of the overhead?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
abn
Winnebago Camper

During our most recent trip the front tv went on the fritz. Has sound but no picture. Not surprised tho. The rear tv went last year. It wasn't hard to figure out how to get that one out.

Our mh is an 02 Itasca Suncruiser. Does anyone have instructions on how to get the front tv out of the overhead?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

ABN, I suspect you will want to use the search feature because there are GOOD instructions posted here on that task! I am sorry I do not remember where I found them but I was able to get to mine with an hour of removal of trim and screws. Of course I only wanted to tighten it up to address squeaks and other noise so I did not have to take it out!

I have an 05 Journey so these instructions are for the configuration where there are storage cabinets on either side of the TV with the set being mounted in the center. If you do not have this then you will need to go slowly but my ramblings should serve as a guideline of sorts.

As I remember, I did the following;

Remove the center surround sound speaker. Take the cover off (pries off) and remove the mouniting screws. The speaker has a plug which will free it from the wiring harness.

On either side of the TV surround there are screws holding the wooden surround to the sides of the component cabinets. They must be removed. They are somewhat difficult to get to but it can be done.

All the screws holding the plastic cover underneath the set must be removed. These are the screws that have a plastic cap covering them. The I removed the cap using a small penknife blade but others have done it with ice picks or awls.

I also had to remove the flip down sun visor mounted under the TV. It's mounting screws go into the metal cabinet which holds the set and, for this reason they were holding the cover on from the underside.

The plastic cover should be loose enough for you to remove it now.

At this point the wood surround will slide down and off the front of the cabinet.

To remove the set you will need to loosen the mounting hardware which became exposed with removal of the wood surround. This will be evident to you when you get to this stage.

Finally, there is one more mount underneath the set. You will see it by looking directly up at the bottom of the tray. Through an access hole there is a small clamp held on by a nut (if I remember correctly) that must be loosened but did not look like it would have to be completely removed. If you do remove the nut you may want to thread it back on after you have the set out and before you try to replace either the repaired set of it's replacement as it looked like it may be difficult to get started (but I did not have to do this part).

Now you will need two people since someone has to hold the set while all the plug locations are noted and disconnected (you want to get this right the first time when it goes back in!).

Installation is pretty much the reverse.

Notes from my experience..... You need a motorized screwdriver and a fairly long bit to get around the front of the surround. I did it by hand but never again! You need a socket set with extensions to deal with the front mounting hardware. I had these and used them on that step.

Finally, the original instructions were all about addressing noise from the TV while traveling. You should look this up and address the issues before you reassemble. The steps worked well for me.

Set aside a day for this and do not hurry. It is the sort of job that is not technical but is tedious. I would have hated to pay shop rates for this even though I was sore when done!

Good Luck!

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
abn,

Bugslayer has given you an excellent description of the removal process on his Journey. I have an 03 Brave which is closer to your coach. I can chip in a couple of other points.

On my Brave, there is a plastic trim piece around the front of the TV. It is removed as Bugslayer says with two screws on the bottom and two scres in each of the side cabinets. They are very close to the front of the cabinet, and the ones on the right side are very close to the cover for the inverter/TV selector unit.

Once you get all six of them out, the front cover comes off. You should be able to see the band clamp that is holding in the TV.

If you sit on the right side of the dashboard, you can look through an opening in the back of the TV cabinet and see the back of the TV to disconnect the cables. You can also use a flashlight to see if there is anything else holding the TV other than the clamp.

With someone else bracing the TV, loosen the clamp and remove the TV through the front.

IT IS HEAVY SO HAVE SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP SUPPORT THE WEIGHT.

Hope this helps.

W8RLM - Bob

P.S. I found two pieces of styrofoam wedged into the sides of the TV to help keep it from rattling. The TV set and the styrofoam caused a horrible squeak. I pulled them out, and the squeak went away.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Have an 01 Adventurer, basically same as Suncruiser. W8RLM-Bob instructions on his Brave are exactly what they are for mine, which I have remove several times.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
abn
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info.
I'll post the results when I can recruit some help with the lifting part.

I had thought about replacing the unit with an LCD model. Lighter weight. Better picture. Any thoughts?

Thanks Again
Old 07-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by abn:
Thanks for the info.
I'll post the results when I can recruit some help with the lifting part.

I had thought about replacing the unit with an LCD model. Lighter weight. Better picture. Any thoughts?

Thanks Again
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A relative of ours did this in their National RV and love it. They found a screen that fit the width of the opening perfectly and setup a mount in the cavity that was once the TV. Beautiful! And lightweight too.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #8
abn
Winnebago Camper

Well ....the results are in.

Getting the tv out wasn't hard at all. Awkward...but not hard. It does take three people tho. Two to lift the unit out while the third unplugs everything.

The best news. The wife found a repair shop that could (and would) fix the tv. AND For less the $75. Apparently one of the solder points that is done at the factory is especially weak. If your unit has sound but loses the picture. That is what the problem is. Contact Ashland TV in Ashland,VA (804-752-4644). They will take care of you. Joe at Ashland TV told us that once this problem is fixed, these tvs will last like any other tube type unit.

Now all I have to do is put it back!! Yeah!!