Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

When we bought our Adventurer 35A one year ago, my wife did not think I could find any remodelling projects in what admittedly was a very well equipped rig. Wrong. I found it anoying to sit sideways on an uncomforable (but expensive) sofa so we could watch the front TV. The solution was to:
1. replace the sofa with two recliners
2. replace the TV with additional storage space.
3. install a flat-panel TV across from the recliners on a new "hutch".

As a bonus I was able to install a storage bench behind the recliners. A great place for our built-in vacuum cleaner and wine collection. The new setup fits our style very well. Three pictures are attached (I hope).

Arne

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When we bought our Adventurer 35A one year ago, my wife did not think I could find any remodelling projects in what admittedly was a very well equipped rig. Wrong. I found it anoying to sit sideways on an uncomforable (but expensive) sofa so we could watch the front TV. The solution was to:
1. replace the sofa with two recliners
2. replace the TV with additional storage space.
3. install a flat-panel TV across from the recliners on a new "hutch".

As a bonus I was able to install a storage bench behind the recliners. A great place for our built-in vacuum cleaner and wine collection. The new setup fits our style very well. Three pictures are attached (I hope).

Arne

Old 11-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Arne - you 'da man

We never liked TVs over the dash - that's one reason why we have our 40AD floor plan. You have also rid yourself of unnecessary weight by going to the LCD.

We are going to induct you into the modder's hall of fame!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Arne:

Great job! I replaced my failing RCA 26" CRT TV with another CRT and have always wished I had done the extra work and found a way to install a flat panel (either overhead or some other location).
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Arnie,
What a great job. Thanks for sharing. I hope you don't mind if I share with a number of friends? A number have asked me how to move the TV and you solved the question. Thanks.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Excellent idea, Arnie. Looking at your front picture, I can just see your electronics. Did you run cables to the LCD from your front electronics compartments? If so, how and where?

Also, do you leave your LCD mounted even when traveling? How is it hung on the hutch? How did you attach the hutch to the wall/floor?

I've been eyeing the space in front of our sofa (behind the passenger seat) for many months wondering how to transfer the LCD we have. Your transition has inspired me to tackle this.

Thanks.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Jim
Here is more information:
Cabelling
The TV set gets its power and signal from up front. The cables run through existing holes to the side of the overhead storage area . They then continue under the shallow side compartment by the passenger seat. The interior of this compartment is removable, so this was easy. I then drilled two holes (one for 110V and one for the signal) to route the cables to a point slightly above the exit door trim. From there the cables run over to the side window. A false front hides this cable run.

The hutch.
The TV stand is built of solid maple. Small brackets attaches the side panels to the wall and the floor. The TV set is attached to a sturdy cross member using standard wall hanging hardware from WalMart. Lower down, I built a storage area with a lid. This is where we store dog treats, hats etc. I built a prototype version of this unit at a camp ground in Boise last summer (sing cheap pine). We traveled with this unit for several months with the TV permanently attached. The design proved to be sturdy, and the hight of the TV is such that there is sufficient visibility through the window under the set to manage well in traffic.

The storage area.
This was the biggest challenge. After removing the TV (a two person job), I was left with a big gaping hole, with no obvious support for a cabinet. Hence the first task was to cover the hole by moving the panel doors originally used for the side compartments up front. Fortunately they fit perfectly. At the GNR this year I was able to by two more of these doors ($6 each)so the side compartments again do have doors.. Unfortunately these doors were of a slightly darker color (see pics), maybe I have better luck at next years GNR. I won't bore you with more details about the cabinet construction. Suffice it to say that almost no panel is square, and i built several prototypes before I came up with a design I liked.

In the final analysis I am happy with this project, and I am surprised that this option is not available from Winnebago.

Arne
www.thesen.org

PS.
If you are interested, I can post more details and pictures on my website.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Arne for the followup. I think I've got enough for me to get started.

Should something come up, I'll send you an email request.

Again, great job.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Great Job Arne.
That is the same floorplan we are planning on getting, unless the DW finds something she likes better.
This has always been one of my pet peeves with motorhomes. You have to look sideways to watch TV from the couches. Hopefully Manufacturers will now be more flexible with TV positions now that LCDs are installed in motorhomes. And you have shown that it can be done without getting a much longer floorplan.
Thanks for the installation notes too.
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the idea. Just purchased a 23" LCD for my '94 Adventurer and was trying to figure how to mount it up front so it would swivel down. Like your way much better.

We were thinking of replacing the sofa and this just further encourages us.

One question, we have a 74" jackknife sofa. How easy/hard is it to get it out and what do you do with it? It has no wear, looks like new.

Merrill
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Romer
It was relatively easy to remove the sofa. It was bolted to the floor with a few very sturdy bolts. Since I did this single handedly, I first removed the arm rests, then the foot rest/extension. The electric motor was connected to a plug by the wall, so that was easy too. I posted the sofa for sale for $250 at last summer's GNR. No takers. It is now sitting in my son-in-laws garage where he uses it when he watches football. I assume the sofa has no value.

Arne

Old 11-28-2006, 05:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Arne,
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to assume the sofa will wind up in trash.

Merrill
Old 11-28-2006, 05:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

DW gives me the dickens since I'm always talking about ways to 'improve' the rig. I considered removing the sofa (we don't sleep on it and aren't likely to ever have anyone along to need it for sleeping..although it is comfortable for napping, watching TV). My thought was to remove it and get a nice Ekornes recliner w/ottoman. However, DW thinks removing the sofa might hurt at resale/trade-in time and I do believe she has a point.

I'd remove it and store it if I had the space.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:52 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Well, since it's a '94, I don't think I have to worry a lot at this stage of it's life

We plan to keep it quite a while. Only has 30,000 miles on it and we haven't seen anything that we're all that impressed with. Like the fact it has NO slideout.

Merrill
Old 11-28-2006, 06:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I am not sure that two Ekornes Stressless recliners will fit in the space provided. We purchases to smaller knockoffs from IKEA. Yesterday I saw an even cheaper ($100) version at Staples.

Good luck.

Arne

Old 11-29-2006, 12:11 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Nice job Arne. Thank You!!!! for the pictures. I've wanted to remove my couch too.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote