Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hope someone out there can help us. Our TV in the front (25" RCA) is no longer working. Nothing happens when you press the power button. We have power to the Directv box and to the VCR. So we are pretty sure the TV is dead.

The question is...How do you get it out to replace it?

Or does someone out there know something else to do. Tried to turn it on with the remote and still it won't come on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated?

Linda and Ed Lavin
2002 Journey DL 36'
The Lavin's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hope someone out there can help us. Our TV in the front (25" RCA) is no longer working. Nothing happens when you press the power button. We have power to the Directv box and to the VCR. So we are pretty sure the TV is dead.

The question is...How do you get it out to replace it?

Or does someone out there know something else to do. Tried to turn it on with the remote and still it won't come on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated?

Linda and Ed Lavin
2002 Journey DL 36'
Old 01-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Not sure how similar it is to our rig, but I needed to pop the screw cover pegs off the trim, then removed the trim. There is a black steel bar that runs across the top of the TV, two bolts on either side are loosened to release the TV. These bolts are tough to get to, each has a small opening for a ratchet wrench, and enough turn to be really annoying. After that it just lifted out.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Y Guy (You don't happen to work for the YMCA do you?)

The only screw cover pegs we can find are on the plastic in the back not on the wood. Is this what you are talking about?

Ed and Linda Lavin
2002 Journey DL
Old 01-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Make sure it is getting power to where it is plugged in. On our 35U it was plugged into a receptacle on the inverter. On several occasions the GFI on that plug had tripped.

Getting the trim off can be tricky. You have to open the compartment doors on each side and you'll see several screws on each side that go into the front trim piece...you cannot get out off until you get those out. Then the bracket that is already mentioned. That TV is heavy!

Hope it is just a tripped GFI.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If you can access the recepticle where the TV is plugged in, I would check it first. My previous coach had a wiring problem in that recepticle, something with the 12 volt circuit it was also wired to.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Lavin's:
Thanks Y Guy (You don't happen to work for the YMCA do you?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I sure do, going on 28 years Are involved with the Y?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only screw cover pegs we can find are on the plastic in the back not on the wood. Is this what you are talking about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is what I wasn't sure about as far as differences. The trim surrounding the TV has several screws holding the trim in place, those screws are covered by small Screw Hole Covers. You're set maybe different, once I popped those off I was able to back the screws holding the trim off.

Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Y-Guy
I have 17 years with the Y and am retireing in August of this year. DH and I are going full time. We are located now in Richmond Virginia area but spent 14 years in the Los Angeles California area.

Linda
Old 01-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Y-Guy:
"...There is a black steel bar that runs across the top of the TV, two bolts on either side are loosened to release the TV. These bolts are tough to get to, each has a small opening for a ratchet wrench, and enough turn to be really annoying." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Y-Guy;

Do you think a swivel-socket might work? I'd like to pull my T.V. and line the area with foam; too many rattles when on the highway.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Do you think a swivel-socket might work? I'd like to pull my T.V. and line the area with foam; too many rattles when on the highway.[/QUOTE]

When I pulled mine, I used a swivel socket and it was pretty effective. A deep socket backed up by a unversal was also helpful. Those ratcheting box wrenches might also be useful.

The rattles that I went after were all of the loose cables in there. I used ty-wraps to get them into bundles and then retained the bundles. I used both double stick tape and those little adhesive squares that are set up to accept ty-wraps. I wrapped the bundles in foam rubber first, as far as I could reach to both sides.

There is a thing that looks like a little can that is some kind of electrical noise suppressor in there that was loose. This thing made an awful racket. I could feel mine by reaching around from the front. While I had the TV out, I secured it to the front of the cabinet and the bottom of the cabinet with velcro.

I put the sticky rubber stuff (don't remember the name but it is used to keep things from sliding around) all around the area that grips the TV. I tightened the bolts pretty tight and used loc-tite on them.

When I put the fascia back on, I put velcro between the two pieces (on the bottom, this way you can still remove the fascia in case you need to go back in) to keep if from rattling.

I also secured the inverter better and put the rubber sticky stuff under the back. You don't often have access to the back of the inverter.

A second adult male makes life much easier when re-installing the TV. I got it out by myself but wouldn't recommend it unless you are really pushed. I am 6'2" and 200 lbs. A shorter person would have a tough time. When it was time to put it back, I called a friend.

My TV is now very quiet and stable under all sorts of conditions that used to make it dance. There were times when it was scary looking up at this thing bouncing around.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

They've got a new rachet now that Wal-Mart sells where the handle turns (twists) for those very tight spots.

I'd make sure there is juice to the plug first.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bruceh:
Do you think a swivel-socket might work? I'd like to pull my T.V. and line the area with foam; too many rattles when on the highway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I pulled mine, I used a swivel socket and it was pretty effective. A deep socket backed up by a unversal was also helpful. Those ratcheting box wrenches might also be useful.

The rattles that I went after were all of the loose cables in there. I used ty-wraps to get them into bundles and then retained the bundles. I used both double stick tape and those little adhesive squares that are set up to accept ty-wraps. I wrapped the bundles in foam rubber first, as far as I could reach to both sides.

There is a thing that looks like a little can that is some kind of electrical noise suppressor in there that was loose. This thing made an awful racket. I could feel mine by reaching around from the front. While I had the TV out, I secured it to the front of the cabinet and the bottom of the cabinet with velcro.

I put the sticky rubber stuff (don't remember the name but it is used to keep things from sliding around) all around the area that grips the TV. I tightened the bolts pretty tight and used loc-tite on them.

When I put the fascia back on, I put velcro between the two pieces (on the bottom, this way you can still remove the fascia in case you need to go back in) to keep if from rattling.

I also secured the inverter better and put the rubber sticky stuff under the back. You don't often have access to the back of the inverter.

A second adult male makes life much easier when re-installing the TV. I got it out by myself but wouldn't recommend it unless you are really pushed. I am 6'2" and 200 lbs. A shorter person would have a tough time. When it was time to put it back, I called a friend.

My TV is now very quiet and stable under all sorts of conditions that used to make it dance. There were times when it was scary looking up at this thing bouncing around.[/QUOTE]

bruceh;

Some great ideas there; I only want to pull the T.V. out once, so thanks for the heads-up on what to look for!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I had a similar problem. Try this: unplug the TV from the back of the inverter; then plug it into ANOTHER source (i.e., 110V extension cord). See if TV turns On (mine did).

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thank you everyone for your responses.
Thudman,
Is it only the TV that is plugged into an inverter? Our direct TV box and the VCR on the other side both work. Are they not all plugged into the same location.

If there as easy way to get to the plug on the TV without pulling the who thing out?

Thanks again
Ed and Linda
2002 Journey DL
Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I pulled my TV to find all the rattles.Drive you nuts. Tie wrap all the wires velco a few iteam, the main thing I found was the braket that goes over the TV when it goes thew the square hole in the frame where it bolts down, that the bracket was allmost the same size as the hole and the bracket was rubbing the side of the frame. I grind the bracket where it went thru the hole. Gave it some room. Put lock ti on bolt threads. Thing are much queiter now.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
They've got a new rachet now that Wal-Mart sells where the handle turns (twists) for those very tight spots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't find that tool at Wal-Mart, but did find the Stanley universal joint adaptor accessory set that hopefully will work. It was $4.95...

http://www.geocities.com/mymercedesb...ls_adaptor.jpg
Old 01-25-2008, 07:57 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

On my inverter there are two outlets. One on "all" the time, the other is controlled by the ignition - off when the ignition is on. There is also a standard 110v outlet that the inverter plugs into. On mine, the TV plugs into the ignition controlled outlet of the inverter, and the other components plug into a power strip that plugs into the on "all" the time outlet of the inverter. You could have a problem with the ignition controlled outlet of the inverter, causing it to never come on.
just my experience.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

When I pulled out my 19" TV in my '03 Sightseer I found that there is some kind of adhesive or mastic holding the clamp to the top of the TV. I took a hacksaw blade, put some masking tape on one end to protect my hand,cut through the glue, and was able to lift up the clamp.
Greg
oldpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

One other thing that I forgot about. When I pulled my TV, it was plugged directly into the inverter and it was a bear to unplug as I puled the TV. I couldn't imagine the contortions to plug it back in as I inserted the TV. I got a couple of short extension cords and plugged them into the inverter. One went to the TV and the other to the VCR. Much simpler to reach and they got wrapped in rubber so that they wouldm't rattle.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Hi everyone,

Thought I would post and let everyone know what happened to our TV. We have a 2002 Journey DL with a 25 inch TV in front.

After much effort (and some help from smlranger and the guys at Winnebago) we finally got the TV out. After sitting and trying to fiqure out how we would get rid of it, we wondered if it could be fixed. We found a repair outfit that would look at it for $30. We figured that was not to much to loose so we let them have their shot. Well, they were able to fix the TV for a total of $85.00 (the $30 came off the total so we paid another $55)

Are really happy it could be fixed as we know that it fits perfectly. If we ever have to get another TV will have to go to a smaller one unless we can find someone to do modifications to the cabinet.

Thanks for all the help everyone gave us.

Linda and Ed Lavin