Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Front Generator Compartment

Ok, some of you may laugh and I feel pretty stupid that I can't figure this out. But today, I was over at my coach and wanted to look under the hood(relative term, the compartment where the generator is) Well I couldn't figure out how to release the latches!! I looked everywhere! I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey 39K. Anybody know how to open this panel?
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Open the hood by feeling between the lower panel and upper panel there are two latches one on each side, slide them to the side or midldle I can't remember and lift up the door. When hood is open you may have to remove a pin to slide the Generator tray out.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBEEBOP View Post
Open the hood by feeling between the lower panel and upper panel there are two latches one on each side, slide them to the side or midldle I can't remember and lift up the door. When hood is open you may have to remove a pin to slide the Generator tray out.
BBBEEBOP,
This presupposes that the OPs gen is "on a sliding tray". Many are not. If the OP has a sliding tray for the gen, then there should be two, vertical body separations, just to the inside of each headlight. It there's only a "hood" or panel, then the gen is not on a sliding tray. In any case, base on your description of how yours works, ours is different. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon with the 330 CAT. We have two recessed, hand entries about a couple of feet apart from center.

You have to reach into those recessed areas and there's levers that you pull towards you and that released the catches and the hood/panel glides out and up. It will stay due to the fact that it has gas springs to hold it up. Now, if there's a sliding tray, and, it's the same as ours, as you lean over the body pane in front of the gen and reach down to the frame, there's a pin that locks that tray in the closed position. You have to pull that pin out of the hole, completely and let it hang. It's normally on a cable so it won't drop to the ground.

Then, there's a secondary latch, right in the center, just behind the front body panel that you have to push or pull, can't remember, and that releases the catch at the bottom of the tray. You can now pull the gen out on the sliding tray. Hope this helps some.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #4

I don't believe there will be a sliding tray on a 2005 Journey. If it's like ours, it just has a small door panel to access the compartment. Just below the door panel on both sides, there should be indentions that contain the release latches. Put your fingers in those two indentions and you should feel the U-shaped handles that are spring loaded. Pull them outward to release and the door will "swing" in an upward direction to give you access to the compartment. This is assuming it's like ours and not like the lucky guys who have slide-out trays that permit their generators to be pulled out.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone. I'll look for the latches the next time I am at the coach.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have an '05 Meridian, your Journey's twin.

Latches are on the bottom of the hood. They slide toward the middle of the hood sliding sideways. The hood then drops down.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
I have an '05 Meridian, your Journey's twin.

Latches are on the bottom of the hood. They slide toward the middle of the hood sliding sideways. The hood then drops down.

That's the same way it is on my 2004 39K. Just clarify a bit the hood pulls toward you and down.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #8

Sorry about that. I can blame it on old age but it's just stupidity by sitting at the keyboard and quickly spouting off an answer without really clearly thinking about it or going out and actually checking it before responding.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Sorry about that. I can blame it on old age but it's just stupidity by sitting at the keyboard and quickly spouting off an answer without really clearly thinking about it or going out and actually checking it before responding.

-harry
You are correct. I do not have a slide out generator. Although I REALLY wish I did!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Went over to the coach today. Thanks everyone for helping me out. I got the compartment open with no trouble. Thanks again.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Deucenut, Glad to hear you got it open. While looking around in there to the left (passenger side) of the Onan is a large multi wire connector. That connector is not well sealed and if/when moisture gets inside the generator will start up on it's own - most often at 3 AM or so. You can use a electric sealant to help resolve that potential problem. On the 39K I suspect at some point you will have the problem of that little door coming lose from the brackets. You can do a search but two ways mentioned for repair are JB Weld or drilling small holes and using bolts.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Deucenut, Glad to hear you got it open. While looking around in there to the left (passenger side) of the Onan is a large multi wire connector. That connector is not well sealed and if/when moisture gets inside the generator will start up on it's own - most often at 3 AM or so. You can use a electric sealant to help resolve that potential problem. On the 39K I suspect at some point you will have the problem of that little door coming lose from the brackets. You can do a search but two ways mentioned for repair are JB Weld or drilling small holes and using bolts.
That's great information. I will check the next time I'm there. Thankyou so much.

Tags
generator