Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I'm just curious as to the experience of others related to things that break or quit. I understood a motorhome is a house on wheels and repairs/tweaking will always be necessary. Nothing serious but I am averaging one or more things each trip:

1st. trip...front TV died
2nd trip....Water heater thermal cut off failed
3rd trip....plastic handle on gray water dump valve broke off; drawer glide supports break (several).
4th (current) trip...Tru Air thermostat failure; no hot water when on electric (breaker OK so guess it is the heating element). LP fine.

I am a meticulous maintainer of things. I diddle and stroke the rig and keep on top of things. Seems the more I diddle, the more things break.

I guess a guy who isn't handy with tools is in deep doodoo.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm just curious as to the experience of others related to things that break or quit. I understood a motorhome is a house on wheels and repairs/tweaking will always be necessary. Nothing serious but I am averaging one or more things each trip:

1st. trip...front TV died
2nd trip....Water heater thermal cut off failed
3rd trip....plastic handle on gray water dump valve broke off; drawer glide supports break (several).
4th (current) trip...Tru Air thermostat failure; no hot water when on electric (breaker OK so guess it is the heating element). LP fine.

I am a meticulous maintainer of things. I diddle and stroke the rig and keep on top of things. Seems the more I diddle, the more things break.

I guess a guy who isn't handy with tools is in deep doodoo.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I couldn't have said it better, except my doodulling days are over. Now it's just the maintaining that keeps me busy and that's every trip. One thing is for sure, I'll never run out of things to fix, there are more items on the coach then there are days that we use it. The last thing was the electric step cover.It decided that it didn't like the cable being attached to the drive mechacnism and dropped off the shaft. That took me an hour and a half to figure out how it attached. Alls well now. Next, please take a number and stand in line.

radarr
Old 02-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Well said SMLRANGER, Its like I said witha Harley and MH--------you are a good mech.
or you know one. I know a Harley mech.and I try to do my MH mech.work. DO-DO happens!
Go forth and repair!!! TENN.VOL.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

smlranger, your 4th item if you can access the back of your water heater you will see a black cover, under it will be connections for heater coil. Had a friend make two visits to dealer whose tech twice connected a female spade clip between the male clip and plastic, clip heated plastic so clip kept falling out still didn't work when I looked at it because melted plastic now insulated connection. The red led always works, works even in this case its just a indicator that you threw the switch. I cleaned connections and connected correctly been working ever since. You can check element with meter for the open if defective. If heater element thru drain plug use meter to check for 110 at connections. Isn't RVing just great. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
Living The Dream

In my years, I've "worked" on farm tractors and equipment, Navy ships and submarines, and railroad locomotives and freight cars.

I've also "played" with plain cars, my kids' cars, 4x4's, antique cars, hot rods, and muscle cars . . . now I'm "playing" with a motor home! Sure glad I've amassed and retained all my tools . . . still need them for this latest "mechanical adventure." I always try to remember helpful little gems, such as "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy," etc. Once in a while I get fooled! Darn design engineers!

Whatever man (and woman) builds - man (and woman) gets to FIX!

Sure is fun
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #7

Some of us live fairly far from the nearest dealer, and some like to make their repairs themselves..

I usually do the repairs myself, unless we have something bigger that warrantee covers..then I make a list and have the dealer fix all of them at the same time....none of this go in, back in, back in, back in stuff....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yup thats the way they have it planned. If you didn't have things to fix you would be bored.

Only thing you would have to do is relax and have fun and that just don't get it. On one trip you won't have anything to fix and then what will you do?

By the way,,,I'm the deep doodoo guy...Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

In answer to your question.

50,000 miles, 4 years full timming.

We have not had any serious problems.

We have had.
Recall on LP tank mount
Drawer guides replaced (several)
Replaced screws near muffler from utility compartment
Stuck step well cover (required excercise of solinoid)
Leak in hydralic hoses on slides (replace under warrentee)
Twek & toruqed the position of the GenSet (allow access to oil filter)
Normal maintenance
Upgrades and home improvment projects discovered on IRV2

Now that I look at it, doesn't seem too bad.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I am a Purchasing Agent in a yacht repair facility, we repair boats from 20' to 70'. If you think motorhomes have a lot of things going wrong and are expensive to repair buy a boat or yacht.
Like most of you I am constantly tinkering and upgrading and am fortunate to be able to do most things myself. Paying $75.00 to $100.00 and hour for someone else to do the work would put me back in a tent!

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Don,I agree!!

Having recently sold a 53' Hatteras FBMY before taking delivery of my coach I've "slowed" the problems a bit,but they'll still show up from time to time....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote