Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Foglamps

We have a 2014 Winnebago Forza 38R. Has anybody tried to put fog lamps on their Winnebago Forza. We sure could have used them when we went through the mountains and it was so foggy you couldn't see within 10 feet out in front of us. Why don't they install fog lamps on these coaches? Is there an aftermarket company that makes fog lamps or does Winnebago make fog lamps to put on your Forza and how come they didn't install these from the factory in the first place as a safety feature. I also noticed that there are no running lights on the front. There are two strips of LED lights but these are courtesy lights for coming in at night. What a waste of space, they should've put running lights or some sort of fog lights there.
Forzatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I don't think there is any U.S. regulation requiring fog lamps. I do know that Britain requires one bright rear fog light to be illuminated when fog lights are in use. I see this here on Volvos and Jaguars that apparently retain European lights when sold in the U.S.

True fog lamps can be very useful when needed and you could probably fabricate some sort of sturdy bracket to accept any of the available aftermarket fog lamps. Here's an excellent site for lighting information and products Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Fog / driving lamps are on most newer vehicles and are one of the most incorrectly used accessories in the country. Many, many, people just leave the switch on and drive everywhere with these additional lights blazing. Some, like BMW's, almost every SUV, and many trucks, have no upper beam cutoff and have no business being used where not needed. Others have no utility value at all and the drivers are just poseurs wanting to look "cool". Some people in my area never turn the headlights on, rather drive at night with only fog/driving lights. These mental giants don't realize that this condition doesn't illuminate the tail lights. End of rant...

Edit: Use of fog/driving lights during the day is not equivalent to "Daytime running lights". My understanding is that these run at reduced voltage and are not as bright as regular headlights. My gripe is that some fog/driving lights are much brighter than regular headlights and are mis-used. Discussion regarding the new projector beam headlights is yet another topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzatm View Post
We have a 2014 Winnebago Forza 38R. Has anybody tried to put fog lamps on their Winnebago Forza. We sure could have used them when we went through the mountains and it was so foggy you couldn't see within 10 feet out in front of us. Why don't they install fog lamps on these coaches? Is there an aftermarket company that makes fog lamps or does Winnebago make fog lamps to put on your Forza and how come they didn't install these from the factory in the first place as a safety feature. I also noticed that there are no running lights on the front. There are two strips of LED lights but these are courtesy lights for coming in at night. What a waste of space, they should've put running lights or some sort of fog lights there.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I found a set of fog lamps at Walmart, very inexpensive, complete with wiring and brackets.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Did you Mount this up on the front of your motorhome if so pics please
Old 01-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, this was on my last MH, and it was several years ago, no pics. I just crawled under the front fascia and found a bracket to attach the lamp mounts to. Sorry I'm not more help, it wasn't a big job, it can be done.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I run my fog lights on my Hummer H3 all the time, and never bother to use my high beams... No, I'm not a poseur. The reality is that the headlights on the H3 are so badly designed that high beams without the fog lights (they cannot be run together) give noticeably less visibility than low beams WITH the fog lights. Since the fog lights do not aim high enough to blind/annoy oncoming drivers (the whole point of fog lights is to aim low onto the road rather than high into the fog, where the light reflects back), I simply use the low/fog all the time and ignore the high beam setting.

On previous vehicles (with high beams that actually worked well), I still ran my fog lights along with the low beams all the time, and in fact I rewired so that they would remain on when the high beams were in use as well, since there was a noticeable increase in the close area illumination. Fog lights are more defined by their beam pattern rather than color. They have a wide angle beam that, when properly aimed, will not project as far as your headlights. They're designed to allow visibility to the shoulders and immediately to the front in low visibility conditions, not for distance. I'm not sure that I would call that "incorrect use" of an accessory, since anything that will increase your visibility without blinding oncoming drivers can only be considered a positive thing.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Found these fog lights on eBay flush mount
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	150122  
Old 01-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Great! Are you going to mount them yourself? If so, give us a running description of what it took to mount and wire them. Then attach a couple of pictures of the results.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Good fog lights are a Godsend when it's real foggy. That said, I used to carry a yellow felt pen on my motorcycle for times when I hit bad fog after dark. The yellow light really helped, even if it did cut down on light strength. So look for good yellow tinted fog lights, and I'm sure you will be happy.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Yes I will send pics after the weather warms up here in Ohio. It's too cold for me to work on the coach so I will repost in the Spring. I was just glad to find what I was looking for. They also make white LED flush mount running lights in the same size.
Attached Files