Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Flickering lights

Hi all... we are starting our 2nd season in our Minnie Winnie 2108DS and at our 2nd campground of the year we are noticing that the LED lights in the trailer flicker A LOT. Do you think this is a campground issue? We have a good surge protector which is showing all green lights on our 30 amp service, and I'm hoping it's not something jiggled loose in getting here that will require repair.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I can't point to a cause but there is one that I can say will not be it and that is the site electrical.

The LED work off the battery and 12VDCs supply and the campsite is only used to power the converter which charges the batteries and powers 12VDC items, so the site electrical is removed by a couple steps from LED flicker.

I might go at this by trying to pin it down to certain LED on a specific circuit or possibly specific bulbs which may not be quite right. If you can pin it down to a specific spot and find others which do not flicker, then changing bulbs to see if the problem follows the flickering bulb to another spot might let you find a slightly defective bulb and replacing it may be worth the small expense.
Also, there may be times when a single LED may cause trouble for the whole group on that circuit, so there may be value in trying to sort the problem by having most of the them to see if there is any reason to when and how the flicker.

I find LED are pretty good items and give little trouble but they are actually very small complex little electronic circuits in them and there are times when they are not right from the start.

But that is where it takes some study to figure if it is the bulb or the circuit that it is used in that is more likely to give the problem.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You might also investigate whether the flickering occurs when some piece of electronic or electrical gear is in operation. As Morich says, the LEDs are complex, and may be affected by pulses and noise in your electrical system that would not show up with incandescent bulbs. If high frequency, the noise may not be visible to a typical DC voltmeter.
NormD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights