Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I contacted Freightliner (Gaffney)about getting an M3 chassis inspection completed. While on the phone I asked if there had been any modifications designed to eliminate slow fueling issues on the last 20 gallons or so on my Winnebago. They told me there was a new fuel tank available and it would be installed under warranty on my coach. They said it was not a recall and was available for certain models Winnebagos. I would assume that some other manufacturers with FL chassis might also qualify. I will be a happier camper when I can actually fill my tank.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I contacted Freightliner (Gaffney)about getting an M3 chassis inspection completed. While on the phone I asked if there had been any modifications designed to eliminate slow fueling issues on the last 20 gallons or so on my Winnebago. They told me there was a new fuel tank available and it would be installed under warranty on my coach. They said it was not a recall and was available for certain models Winnebagos. I would assume that some other manufacturers with FL chassis might also qualify. I will be a happier camper when I can actually fill my tank.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Our '05 36RD has had this problem from day one. Whom did you contact, specifically??

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

That's really good news Jim. It's good to be a happier camper! I'm thinking you should get'er done right away before a heard of iRV2 members hit Freightliner and they change their mind.

I bought a brand new '73 Ford F250 with dual gas tanks back in 1972 and kept it until 1999. During those 27 years it would take me forever to fill those tanks 'cause most gas nozzles would kick off from the get-go. I'd have to babysit the nozzle the whole time during a fillup. Obviously that old F250 had a lot of good thing that offset the pain at the pump.

Did you get any good fall colors yet up there in NE? Actually I figured you were still in NE & I didn't know you're back in Mich now.

Bill
Old 09-23-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
Our '05 36RD has had this problem from day one. Whom did you contact, specifically?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just contacted Freightliner Custom Chassis at 864-487-1700

Bill, I made an appointment. The soonest they could get us in is November 4th. I sure hope I didn't jinx myself and they don't change their minds. I applaud them for finally realizing or acknowledging there is an issue but they should have somehow let us know this without having to schedule maintenance at their factory. Plus the fact this has been an issue for years.

We haven't seen any fall colors yet but haven't been much further north than we are now.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Wow that would be a great fix! I've only had my Tour for 3 months and fuel filling is the biggest pain. I spend 10 minutes trickling fuel in and still only have 3/4 of a tank registering on the dash.

I tried filling with the other fuel port open to let air out but that backfired pretty quickly...
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Whoa - hold the phone.. stop press

A fix for slow fueling? I have got to see what that's all about. It takes me 15 minutes to get the last 20 gallons in the tank. Some of the board old-timers might recall the "fueling wedge" I created to use on a pump handle to slowly meter the fuel in the tank as a workaround for the problem.

This has been the very most frustrating aspect of our coach ownership.. we really love our Horizon and are extremely pleased with it except when it is time for a fill up.

PS: we also found out quickly that opening up the other fill does nothing except provide another outlet for fuel to gush out

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The painfully slow fueling is the reason I avoid truck islands and usually try to get into the RV island at Flying J. My coach just cannot handle the high volume pumps.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I was in Gaffney in June and had my M-3 maintenance done along with a lot of other maintenace issues. While there, I asked at the time if there was a fix, seeing that I have complained from day one about the slow fill. Well to my delight, Pat(what a sweetheart)at Gaffney Freightliner ordered a new tank for us, which has to be custom made off site and it took ten days or so to get. I swung by Gaffney in July on our way back home to Florida and had the new tank installed. After the tank was installed we left and went to the Flying J down the road and filled up. Wow what a difference! I didn't have to spend the afternoon filling up. It is a great solution and the difference is like night and day.It takes pretty much the whole day to install.
I suppose you are all wondering why I haven't spilled the beans before now. I was waiting to see if this really fixed it for good and it has. I was told by Pat that it really isn't a recall, they are just addressing the ones that "complain" about it and have it on record from what I was told? They are realy not advertising it unless you ask for it I guess?
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob O:
I was in Gaffney in June and had my M-3 maintenance done along with a lot of other maintenace issues. While there, I asked at the time if there was a fix, seeing that I have complained from day one about the slow fill. Well to my delight, Pat(what a sweetheart)at Gaffney Freightliner ordered a new tank for us, which has to be custom made off site and it took ten days or so to get. I swung by Gaffney in July on our way back home to Florida and had the new tank installed. After the tank was installed we left with a few gallons in our tank and went to the Flying J down the road and filled up. Wow what a difference! I didn't have to spend the afternoon filling up. It is not a perfect solution but the difference is like night and day.It takes pretty much the whole day to install.
I suppose you are all wondering why I haven't spilled the beans before now. I was waiting to see if this really fixed it for good and it has. I was told by Pat that it really isn't a recall, they are just addressing the ones that "complain" about it and have it on record from what I was told? They are realy not advertising it unless you ask for it I guess? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob O Thanks for coming "out of the closet" on the fuel tank replacement

Why isn't it a perfect solution? What doesn't it do that you think it should?

Thanks for the info.

Jim

PS: was it a warranty or out of the pocket issue?

Our Webpage
Old 09-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Jim, I need to go back and edit my post. I got that from someone, I can't remember who said it, but as far as I am concerned it is a great fix! I will go back and edit my post(sorry).
I am also sorry for lurking in the closet about this fix. I didn't want to be the one that opened the flood gates if you know what I mean. But now that the cat is out of the bag, I can chime in on my two cents about what I know
This was done at no charge to us under a goodwill warranty?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the explanation Bob O. I feel good about opening the flood gates as long as I am on the high side of the dam.

Thanks Freightliner, you will get more out of this Goodwill Warranty than you would get with paid advertisements!

PS: My guess is that the custom fuel tank shop will do well also!

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 09-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Ok boys, let's at least stagger our calls to Freightliner tomorrow morning...

I got dibs on the 9am slot!
Old 09-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Make sure you have the VIN / serial # when you call.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Please try and not throw me under the bus. I hope that we don't all have a stampede to the phone at one time. I would like to go back to Gaffney and show my face again and be welcome!
Thanks! Maybe you could say "I heard it through the Grapevine!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

porscheracer, in my experience all that is needed is the last 6 number and or digits of the vin such as Y899XX. Those last six alpha numeric is all I have needed for warranty work for the coach and or chassis thru out the country.

Bob O, don't get to upset over it. I broke the news, I am sure Freightliner had a thought that this might get out at some point or another.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Now if only there was a fix for the F-53.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

OK, I called Freightliner this morning with the last 6 digits of my VIN.

"John" was great. He took down my info, the name of the nearest FCCC repair facility to me and said he would call me back after he checked with the Winnebago liaison about whether I needed a fuel tank or just a new feeder tube.

About 15 minutes later he called back to say that he contacted my local repair facility and told them what parts to order (new fuel tank) and that I should call them on Monday to set up an appointment to get it done.

Was pretty painless! After dealing with Workhorse for the last 5 years, Freightliner is a welcome relief.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

I gave Gaffney a call today and they said that I had a different tank than the one they had a fix for. That's seems odd to me, since as far as I know I have the same tank Bob O has on his 2005 Horizon, and they replaced his tank! I think I may give them another call and see what happens.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cbeierl:
I gave Gaffney a call today and they said that I had a different tank than the one thay had a fix for. That's seems odd to me, since as far as I know I have the same tank Bob O has on his 2005 Horizon, and they replaced his tank! I think I may give them another call and see what happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think asking the question a 2nd time is a great idea. But maybe since your coach is a 36 footer vs bob o's 40 foot coach there might be a difference. My guess would be that FL chose the more popular sold 40 footer to have a tank mold fabricated for the warranty replacement. This is all speculation on my part and I hope you can get a repair that fixes your fueling issues.

Jim

Our Webpage