Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-15-2008, 02:44 AM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Ben,
Did you call the factory or the service center in Gaffney? I find it hard to believe that they won't cover yours.I have the Horizon 40AD and my tank was replaced by Freightliner in July. I would call Pat at the service center in Gaffney,SC she is the one that informed me and seems to know which coach is or isn't involved. Good Luck Bob O
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:32 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bob, you are right, I gave up to quickly after the initial call to freightliner, I will call Gaffney, even though I am on the west coast and see what help they could be!

Thanks
Ben!

2005 40KD Horizon 400ISL
Lucchese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #43
Winnebago Master

Talked to my contact at Freightliner this morning. Here's the deal (as I understand the situation) on the slow fill issue - there was a run of 400-450 tanks where the venting wasn't appropriate and those tanks will be replaced. If you are within the Winnebago house warranty, parts and labor are covered. If you are outside the Winnebago house warranty, then you pay for the parts and Freightliner covers labor.

Others (like me) that have a fuel tank with improved venting but still the incredibly annoying slow fill issue, there is an improved filler neck available. Same deal - outside the house warranty, you pay for parts, Freightliner covers labor.

Caveat: This post is a reflection of what I thought I heard - do NOT assume this is reality until you talk with either Freightliner or Winnebago. I am NOT speaking in an official capacity for either Winnebago Industries or Freightliner.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

John - based on what I think I heard from Freightliner: You and I share the filler neck problem. When I gave them my VIN, they said the "bad" tanks were all too new for my coach.

It is my understanding that they consider my (our) problem to be a Winnebago issue, not Freightliner. They didn't give me any information about replacement.

I've gott'a check on warranty status on the fuel tank assembly. I THINK I'm good for 4 more months, but I'm not sure. Since mine was put in service by the factory as a demo almost a year before I took "new" delivery, the warranty stuff is a strange mix.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Norm - from what I understand, you will pay for the filler necks (left and right) and Freightliner will pay for the labor UNLESS you are considered within the 12 months house warranty. I didn't get a price, but I don't think the necks are very expensive.

I'm excited there is a fix for the slow fill issue, I'm disappointed I found about this on the forum and not in a letter from Winnebago or Freightliner.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

John, who did you talk to at Winnebago? The person I talked to did seem to know anything about the problem.
Thanks
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:37 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

John - thanks! I'm well beyond the 12 months.

I guess this is one of those "if they're too stupid to realize it's broke and get it reported in the warranty period . . . too bad" issues. Oh well.

Did they indicate who is apporoved to fix it? Winnebago dealer / factory; or FL local service center / or Gaffney only??

We'll undoubtedly meet on the road - I owe you and Jane a couple of dinners!!

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:36 AM   #48
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ms911:
John, who did you talk to at Winnebago? The person I talked to did seem to know anything about the problem.
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You might want to call Winnie back and ask for somebody that does know about the situation. They are aware of it, but perhaps the person you talked to wasn't. Or, call Pat at Gaffney (Freightliner factory service.)

Norm - As far as I know, any FTL dealer will be authorized to do the work. We will have our filler necks changed out at Freightliner Tolleson (Phoenix.)

Here again - my information is not official! You need to hear directly from the powers themselves for your particular situation.

Norm - give a shout if you get to Texas.. we'll take you up on the free food

Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Finally got around to calling Freightliner and they said it was the filler, which is a Winnebago problem but they would handle the labor and Winnebago would bill me for the parts. At this point in time thought it was fair enough,especially if it works. Will get this and the steering recall done at the same time.
DonGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:22 AM   #50
Winnebago Master

More information...

This is apparently being handled strictly by Freightliner at least as the initial point of contact. Those who think they have a slow fill issue should contact Freightliner and give them your chassis serial number (last six digits of the VIN.) Freightliner will be able to tell you if you would benefit from the new fuel tank, the new filler necks, or if it applies to your chassis at all.

If your chassis is a candidate for new parts, Freightliner will request those.

Same deal on who pays - within the one year house warranty, you don't pay parts or labor. Outside of one year house warranty, you pay parts. If you are outside of the Freightliner chassis warranty, you might wind up paying for parts and labor - I wasn't clear about that.

In any case, Freightliner will have the official information, so don't rely on my interpretation of the situation as fact.

The fuel tank is part of the chassis and Freightliner is strictly responsible for it. The filler neck is part of the 'house' and Winnebago is responsible for those parts. Freightliner and house manufacturers (like Winnebago) have strict separation of 'what's mine, and what's yours.'

Old 10-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #51
Winnebago Owner

John,
I am curious as to what the fix is with the filer neck,(what is the difference between the new filler neck versus the old filler neck? My tank was replaced, and you and I have the same model and year coach. Just curious as to why the different fix? Bob O
Old 10-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #52
Winnebago Master

Bob - as I understand it, there was a run of 400-450 tanks that had a venting issue. My tank doesn't have that problem, but there is a filler neck with a larger vent that applies to my chassis. My chassis was manufactured sometime in Feb 2005.

It's a little confusing to me since I don't know the details of the tank problem, and I don't know exactly how the new filler necks compare to the old ones. I think I remember hearing somewhere the vent opening inside that batch of 400-450 tanks was too small for whatever reason - design or production problem.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #53
Winnebago Camper

I just got an authorization number from FL to change my filler neck. I will have to pay for the parts from Winnebago. Not sure how much that will be but it great that FL is paying for the labor.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:04 AM   #54
Winnebago Owner

Just got off the phone with Winny dealer in Savannah, Ga. Price quoted for the new filler necks was $213.48 each (+ S&H), out of stock and would take several weeks for delivery. According to Freightliner and Winny customer service who would not give me a cost but said "it can't be much". Yeah, Right.

Our coach stock filler necks have 2ea 75-90 degree bends before reaching the fuel tank. The neck is composed of 2ea metal pipes spliced with a rubber hose about midway connecting the 2 metal pipes. There is a metal flange for mounting the neck at the filler door. Can't see the connection @ the fuel tank but suspect it is the same rubber hose used at the splice.
Diesel foaming is probably caused by the 2 sharp bends in the filler neck.

Spoke with "Al" @ Winny Cust Svc. He indicated that the fix for my coach, (others may be different) was to replace the "spliced" filler neck with a one piece hose. I am assuming that they are going to straighten out the bends in the filler neck. At any rate, $550.00 seems awful high for 2 pieces of hose and some clamps. It would be worse had freightliner not stepped up and graciously agreed to cover the labor. IMHO this is a design flaw that should be covered by Winny for parts and FL for the labor.

After 2+ years, I am used to the slow fill and will probably forego the "fix" because of the cost involved for parts. For those of you who are behind me @ the pump please exercise patience and blame it on Winny!!!!!

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #55
Winnebago Owner

Chief, I agree that this is a design flaw and they need to step up to the plate and pay for it!. I understand it is hard times for everybody right now including myself (I am a business owner also so I know).
My tank was replaced by Freightliner in June at no charge.maybe because I complained about it from day one, and at that time Winnebago and Freightliner were pointing fingers at each other while I still had the problem along with the rest of you folks.I do know one thing it fills up in nothing flat now and registers full. I love it!. Hope you can come to a fix for yours.
I am a big fan of Freightliner because of this and also of Winnebago when they stepped up to the plate two years ago and fixed all of my issues to my satisfaction and did whatever it took!
Bob O
Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #56
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chief:
......After 2+ years, I am used to the slow fill and will probably forego the "fix" because of the cost involved for parts. For those of you who are behind me @ the pump please exercise patience and blame it on Winny!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>After 37,000 miles of use I am not used to it - I HATE THE SLOW FILL and will do almost whatever it takes to cure the problem. Every time we have a fuel nozzle stuck in the tank it is another reminder of the problem and totally out of character of our otherwise absolutely wonderful Horizon.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:38 AM   #57
Winnebago Camper

John I hate it too but I might be too tight to fix it.
Manuel
Old 10-31-2008, 06:41 AM   #58
Winnebago Owner

I have had trouble with filling.

Something I do if it doesn't want to fill is simply put the jacks down and raise that side of the coach. It makes a world of difference. Gives the fuel a down hill grade to the tank. I have not really had much problem since I started doing that.

It took me a few months to figure that out when it was new. I remember one of the first times. The pump was slopped the wrong way, and made the fuel connection pipe to the tank almost level. I think it was 45 minutes to fill that time.

I have run into guys at a pump that took longer than that, and was filling from both sides. I suggested raising one side, but he did not want to mess with it.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #59
Winnebago Master

I wanted to follow up with my results. We are at Gaffney, SC now. Freightliner just finished the M3 (@1000 dollars), Steering recall (free), Surge Tank replacement (century class, 280 dollars) and most importantly the fuel tank replacement (free).

I went to fuel the coach up with great results. I had a little less than a quarter tank showing on the indicator. I went to the big truck pumps and turned the nozzle on full. It clicked off when just over 75 gallons went into the tank. I was able to finish the top off quickly, adding a few more gallons. The new tank fixes the slow fueling problems that I had. I am happy

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:15 PM   #60
Winnebago Owner

With a couple of exceptions, it appears that most of you are Vectra or Horizon owners that have this problem.

I've always used the RV islands or a regular gas station to buy diesel so I don't know how my Meridian would react to this fueling issue at the truck pumps.

Hopefully, am I correct that this doesn't pertain to most Journey or Meridian owners?

Thanks.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote