Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

First Time using 30 amp

Weird what doesn't work on 30 amp. The washer doesn't but the dryer does. The outlet at the bathroom sink doesn't but all the others do. The fireplace doesn't work but the microwave does.
Is there any rhyme or reason to this?
JamieBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieBoyle View Post
Weird what doesn't work on 30 amp. The washer doesn't but the dryer does. The outlet at the bathroom sink doesn't but all the others do. The fireplace doesn't work but the microwave does.

I'm guessing that your coach has an electric management system (EMS) that springs to life when you are on less than 50 amp power. Winebago can tell you how it's prioritized. Usually everything is functional just not at the same time.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

when you say '30 amp', do you mean a 30a shore power pedestal with a 30a plug and you are using your 50a power cord with a 30a connector to plug into the pedestal?
49 US States(including ALASKA) & 10 Canadian Provinces
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I can also assume that if you are not receiving electricity at certain plugs or devices that your 50a to 30a connector may be the issue. If it is not providing power across both legs of the 50a power cord, then HALF of your electrical items might not receive any power since a 50a coach has two 50a breakers - the first side might host your front a/c unit, the fridge, the water heater, a tv, and some outlets. the second might host your rear a/c, the microwave, other tv's, lights, etc.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
EV2
Winnebago Watcher

The 50 amp service brings two 120 V legs to your coach panel. At the time of installation they have split your load between those two legs. When you plug into a 30 amp service, one of the legs is not hot, therefore any breakers that are on that dead leg have no power.
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
The 50 amp service brings two 120 V legs to your coach panel. At the time of installation they have split your load between those two legs. When you plug into a 30 amp service, one of the legs is not hot, therefore any breakers that are on that dead leg have no power.
Does that mean that both of my air conditioners are on the same leg as they both work when I am plugged into 30 amp with my 50 amp RV?
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

The 30/50 amp adaptor connects both legs on the coach side to the one hot leg on the 30 amp pedestal side. All circuits are powered but the EMS device with attempt to keep your usage lower than the available 30 amps by selectively disabling some circuits. If you can run both A/C units on 30 amp then that accounts for most of your available 30 amps. Everything else will be curtailed.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Check the GFI on the bathroom 110v outlet.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I think you're right Tom, sounds like a problem with one of the GFI breakers to me.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:25 AM   #10

Quote:
That is simply not true.

When a 50A RV is plugged into a 30A receptacle using a 30 to 50A adapter ALL of the 120V receptacles in the RV should be HOT, (because a 30A to 50A adapter is wired like this):

30 to 50 AMP DOG BONE ADAPTER

If they ARE NOT there is a problem somewhere.

In the adapter?
In the power cord?
In the pedestal receptacle?
In the RV itself?

See also: RV Electrical 101 - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

true, when I use a 50a to 30a adapter, I continue to have power to all items and outlets. I do, though, have to be more careful what I use as now I only have a maximum of 30a available, which can conceivably allow me to run 2 air conditioners, but because we also have a residential fridge, tvs, microwave, dish receivers, lights, fans, and other items running at the same time, the option of both a/c's is not probable without tripping breakers.

I purchased a 50a to dual 30a 'dogbone' adapter for situations where I can pull from two different 30a outlets, such as at a 30a campground where a neighboring site is unused.

I also have a 50a to 30a-20a 'dogbone' adapter for situations where I can use both the 30a outlet and a 20a outlet, to give me up to 50a service. (this may only work with a 20a NON gfci outlet)

of course, I also have a 50a to 30a to 20a adapter set for those times when only a normal residential outlet is available close by. I use this mainly to provide a minimal usage within the coach, such as the fridge and tv, and a small trickle charge to the battery charger, to keep the generator run to a minimum, especially overnight.

If you travel a lot, and aren't always in typical RV parks or campgrounds, these items come in handy, whether at a business or church parking lot, or at a friend or relative's home. At one private rv site, where the power was only 30a at each site, I used both a 50 to 30 dual dogbone to draw from a neighboring vacant outlet AND the 50 to 30/20 dogbone to add in another 20a from the bath house nearby, giving me up to 80a total.
This was a unique situation where we were parked for several months during the summertime, where both a/c's are running several hours per day. : )
49 US States(including ALASKA) & 10 Canadian Provinces
Old 07-04-2016, 12:52 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieBoyle View Post

It would be nice to know what MH you are in. Please fill out your Signature with make model and year, then we can better help you.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
GG1
Winnie-Wise

30 amp question

Without getting too technical on a Winnebago coach everythging should work on both 30 & 50 amp normally. But watch your power management monitor if you are on 30 amps if you go over 30 amps you may trip a breaker if the power system doesn't shut down some appliances automatically. Ie: do not run an electric hot water heater and your microwave at the same time or your a/c and microwave or any other large amp draw appliances together.Do one at a time