Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Firestick CB Antenna installation where?

I am replacing the original antenna with a side mounted firestick. When planning to install on drivers side ,after removing panel above, I found a steel plate, that stopped me from going further. I am hoping for some suggestions, on where and how some of you have installed a new antenna. The original top mount I found a loose connection, but it still doesn't work the way it should. I did meter with SWR, hoping the firestick will give me some distance.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Your biggest problem is providing a good ground plane. Next problem is the length of the cable. Remember you will need to extend the antenna above the roof line. Be careful here as you can tear it off in heart beat if it is to high even with a spring loaded version and it will not work good if mounted to low.

Here is a link to my install... CB Install

Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks thats the exact antenna I bought! I had planned to install having aprox 2' above roof, there seems to be a steel frame that goes along the side. My plan was to run the wiring down the cowl by the windshield, using the old cable to fish it through. I can't see how to get around that steel plate with out drilling through it. Something I would like to avoid doing.( It looks like that's my only option?) I have the 06 Winnebago Adventurer.

Equinox Toad
Old 08-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Through it, make the hole little bigger than the cable then put the end on on the outside seal the hole good
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
RKL
Winnebago Owner

fIRESTICK CB antenna installation where?

Stearn.....On my Journey I was able to mount the antenna mount without hitting the steel plate BUT once I installed it from the outside, I made up two wires with loop connections at both ends and attached one of the ends on each wire to the bolts (that came thru the fiberglass)that hold the antenna with a nut and star washer..Then I drilled a small hole in the steel plate from the inside and attached the other ends of the wires with self tapping screws into the plate thus producing a good ground plane..
Result was that I have a 1.1 SWR match...Another choice is a non ground plane antenna wire an attached antenna wire cut to length...I used that antenna on my Vectra with very good results.....good luck RKL
Old 08-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your help. I attemted to find a spot for my firestick, still baffled,and can not get around the steel plate. I did try removing the lining above the drivers chair, only to be stopped by the steel plate. I did get a better access to the original antenna, and found the ground wire to be very loose. I thought I had tightened once before when I accessed through the overhead cabinet( obvoulsy not).This time I am sure it is tight, and the SWR meter shows when transmitting a reading about 1.2. I am very leary of using this antenna after what I have read. Knowing the firestick is a much better antenna. I am heading out an a few weeks and will see! I normally can figure out a repair, or at least follow instructions, very frustrating!

Equinox Toad
Old 08-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0187.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	24706

Now here is an antenna mounted and ready to communicate.

ken
Old 08-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Attachment 24706

Now here is an antenna mounted and ready to communicate.

ken

Yea, I know CB'S are getting obsolete, but it's still handy when traveling especially with friends.

Equinox Toad
Old 08-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

CB's are required if you go on a Winnebago Caravan. They use them in the morning to send out each group of four or five motor homes. And, then they pick you up before you arrive at the next destination so they know you have arrived and they can determine your parking spot.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

That is a Lil' Tarheel II high frequency screw driver antenna for 6m through 80m amateur radio.

Ken
Old 08-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I would not say CB's are becomming obsolete though I will say I do a whole lot better with my ham gear and ham licenses are at an all time high just now.

Tha steel plate just takes a more powerful drill is all.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Stearn.....good catch on the loose ground...Ihad to use a star washer to keep mine tight...A 1.2 match is pretty darn good...I am still using my factory antenna and with a Tight ground, I have no complaints....i also put a second ground wite on the ground stud and bolted the other end to a lower steel body piece.....If you decide to drill thru the plate a good heavy duty drill and sharp bit will do it will some oil and a lot of forward pressure...RKL
Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2000 Adventurer and my ant. was no good also. I got a NGP Firestick (4 ft) from Amazon.com. The Ant. Co-Ax comes pre-cut to lenght. As for mounting, I drilled through from the inside out using the inside plate for a pattern. By drilling next to the seat belt cover, I was able to run the co-ax down to the floor, then under the drivers door splash cover and then up to the stearing column and to the CB unit.
As for SWR, mine is 1:1 right out of the box.
Piledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

My used MH came with a Cobra 75 WX ST CB and what appears to be a:

"Everhardt Super Tiger STT4 "Super Tiger" "1 Full Wave Length " Top Load Tunable Tip Power Rating 1500 Watts Includes the Weather Band 18 gauge solid wire Standard 3/8 ' Threaded Base",

but I'm not sure. It does appear to have a screwdriver adjustment on the tip of the antenna. I have two SWR meters. The Lafayette(RS) 99-2537 reads 1.1:1 and the Veritas V-754 reads 1.3:1. The hand held meters look almost identical.

I found the coax was doubled back on itself in a 1 foot long bunch. I cut the zip ties and spread it out, and it made no difference in the SWR.

A Google search says this a good antenna. Anybody have any experience with this antenna?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

The antenna is the key to having a radio work well. Two things....
Spend your money on a good antenna ....a less expensive radio will work fine.
A larger antenna mounted higher will work better, so if at all possible, at least a 4' long top loaded antenna mounted as high as possible.

Going high and to protect the antenna, put on one of the spring sections.

Ken
Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

4', no spring and I had no trouble bending it over enough to see that it had a tuning slug.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna