Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

We are so sorry to read about the loss of your dog. Ironically, we are interested in purchasing a 2005 Itasca Meridian model 39K. You very well could be saving our and others' lives with your post. God bless.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

ggreene,
Well folks, incredibly sorry for your situation and loss. I've been saying this for 30+ years, there are two entities that no one on this planet can control and never will. One is Oil companies and the other is Insurance companies. Absolutely NO ONE has any power against or over these two factions. So, when I read of a situation like yours, it's par for the course. That doesn't help your particular situation and, I do hope it eventually all evens out.

We're mandated by law to have insurance. Those of us who wish to remain law abiding citizens, go out and get it, and comply with the law and, hopefully will never need it but, sometimes we do. And, like anything else that's big business, it can work smoothly for some and, very harshly for others. It really is too bad that you can't make ONE phone call to an incredibly powerful person, who over sees all insurance companies in the U.S. and tell this person your situation and, that person makes a call and within 24 hours, your check is special delivered to your door step.

Then, if the Insurance company wants to take on Winne or Itasca or any other RV mfg, then they can spend decades if they want doing so but, at least the end user, YOU, can be placed back into normal life and move on. But, we all have to deal with it.

Weimaraner ,

We have an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the 330 CAT and it's very close to the same rig as the OPs. They are outstanding rigs. We love every inch of ours. I've had to do some maintenance issues and repairs in the 18-19 months we've owned it and, to me, that's about par. Very few of these rigs are problem free. I've been in that section under the bed the OP is talking about and yep, there's a few miles of wiring because that's where the main, 110VAC breaker panel is located. There are hydraulic lines because of the hydraulic ram that operates the bedroom slide, and, some water lines for winterization are all in that same compartment.

It's a very congested compartment, to say the least. There power wires coming into it from each side of the rig. On the passenger side, there's very large 12VDC wires from the battery compartment adjacent to it. One the drivers side, as the OP mentions, there are 110VAC lines coming in from the electrical compartment/transfer switch box etc. So, it's a major Los Angeles freeway system, right at the foot of the bed.

I certainly wouldn't back away from a nice rig if that was a deal breaker for you. That can be remedied if, it was a problem like it was for the OP. But, you'd have to lift the bed, remove the top panel of that wiring/hydraulic line/water line compartment and look to see if what, if any, was a potential wiring/chafing problem. Then, go into the electrical compartment, where the inverter/charger, the cord reel for the 50 amp cord is, (if it's so equipped) and see what, if any is a wiring/chafing issue there too.

If found, then steps would be taken to remedy whatever needs to be done. I most certainly hope the OP gets their situation all back in order.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Exclamation Thanks, Fire Up!

Thank you for the advice and encouragement in our consideration of the Itasca Meridian. My husband, Dennis, is an electrical engineer for sonar systems on submarines, so he will be sure and check all of the wiring out. This forum may very well be saving lives.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

RE "What insurance companies are good to work with that know RV's?"

I had good experience with Progressive on a hail claim in TX and both windshield replacements in NY. But it was not a total....

Tags
insurance