Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2023, 08:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Faulty Switcher or Faulty Backup Camera?

Just the facts as I see them as I have a problem with my backup camera but not my side view cameras.
- 2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y
- The side view cameras show on the monitor when using the turn signals
- The backup camera is not showing on the monitor at all

Took the backup camera cover off to get access to the camera, cleaned the small yellowjacket nest on the outside - still no-show on the monitor

Pulled the cable thru the opening in the back and unwrapped the old electrical tape covering the camera to cable connector, cleaned the connectors as best I could, re-connected, re-taped - no show on monitor when motor is on.

I have read in some older threads that it could be the switcher (not sure I know what that does) which is behind the instrument panel in the dash (which I view as a major PITA to remove while traveling) or a bad camera (which is a piece of cake to swap out provided the new camera pinout would be the same as the pinout of the old one and eliminate the need to try to run new cabling.

Anyone have any insights, advice or thoughts.

Thank you
Brian
Old 03-20-2023, 01:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It a problem as most of us do not have the tools to really test for a signal, but I might throw in what I see by looking at drawings but with the full idea that I do not know fully what you have as there seems to be two options?

But I do not see a switcher indicated, so that may make it a bit easier to sort.

Are you aware of the drawings for the monitor here?

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_169860.pdf

It will take some looking to sort which options you have but if you can spot that, there might be an idea of swapping feeds from one of the side and back to see if the trouble follows the camera or stays on one specific input to the monitor???

Looking a page three seems to be the easy one to get to and do the swap----if you have that one type! Option 74C, 74J or 74L?? Note the options listed at lower right and the notes at lower left for cable marking.

Not so lucky that is just the cable loose/pulled out on the monitor back?

Maybe some ideas to toss around?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 10:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I think sorting out the wiring , in some ways, is the easy part of this challenge. Figuring out how to get at it behind the dash is the rate limiting step. It looks like a couple screws here is all that is needed and ‘unhooking’ pieces of the dash to get access, but I find that not quite so simple and daunting in the middle of a 6 week trip.

The diagram you sent seems clear tho - thank you.

Brian
Old 03-21-2023, 12:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

With the idea that we never have too much info if we see something that "might" help, I will send along a couple other sites which might help.
This is the overall parts drawings for the whole RV:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Possible you will need the build date to get the correct one on some items, so that can often be found on the data plate near the driver's left side?

Then if you get down to looking at more specific to getting the dash part, there may be some in this group for the front end items?

I have no ideas on what you may need to remove on the dash but just having an idea where the clips ans screws might be could help, so I'll send it along to use of ignore!

Click this snip or go direct? This is an example of info from page 9. Maybe you can match things up to what you are finding?

Click image for larger version

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	185444

I have the easy part of looking at drawings. You get the hard part of figuring out if it means anything and then finding the screws!
Old 03-21-2023, 03:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard. I’ll pore over these a bit.
Brian
Old 03-27-2023, 03:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Closing the loop here in hopes it helps someone else.
Looked at diagrams, thought about taking the dash off (into dating), read some threads and then 2 things happened…got a flicker or two on the camera monitor when starting the coach and read rvcams.com return policy. So they had a plug and replacement model for the original Sony backup camera and I ordered it. Had it delivered to the park I was staying. Swapped it out this morning and Bingo! Nice picture, easy swap out with pin for pin connection. All’s well now. Will feel much better with being able to see back there.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Now that seems like a real winner.
Maybe we just need to stand around and think it over while hoping some "magic" shows up?
Glad it happened before you tore the dash out and I'm also glad to hear the results.
Thanks for the feedback on what was sounding like a nasty thing to solve!

Tags
camera, switch