Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On our 2005 35A we have a light that is under the coach and lights up the exterior steps-but only works when the key is in the ignition and I believe the porch light is on. Does anyone know if this is something that should work when the key is NOT in the ignition and the porch light is on ? Our service dealer was no help on this--he didn't even realize there was a light there.

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On our 2005 35A we have a light that is under the coach and lights up the exterior steps-but only works when the key is in the ignition and I believe the porch light is on. Does anyone know if this is something that should work when the key is NOT in the ignition and the porch light is on ? Our service dealer was no help on this--he didn't even realize there was a light there.

Old 07-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My light only works if the step switch is on, and if in storage it will drain the coach battery in a few days.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bagger97:
My light only works if the step switch is on, and if in storage it will drain the coach battery in a few days. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you turn the step switch OFF in storage?? How do you get in and out of your coach with the switch in the off position???

Leave the switch on and the light will go off when the step automatically retracts when you close the door.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So you turn the step switch OFF in storage?? How do you get in and out of your coach with the switch in the off position???
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The off switch keeps the step from retracting when the door is closed. In the on position the step will retract every time the door is closed. Even with the step switch in the off position, it will retract if the ignition is turned to the on position.

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I also believe that with the switch in the "on" position the circuit board for the steps is drawing some juice and will eventually drain the battery.
Bagger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob RV:
On our 2005 35A we have a light that is under the coach and lights up the exterior steps-but only works when the key is in the ignition and I believe the porch light is on. Does anyone know if this is something that should work when the key is NOT in the ignition and the porch light is on ? Our service dealer was no help on this--he didn't even realize there was a light there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob,

The light should come on only when the steps are extended and the power to the steps is turned on. The power is on when the key is in the ignition and in the on position or when the step switch is flipped to the active position.

You can go to Kwikees web site and download the manual there if you don't have one.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Neil--I was hoping mine was wired wrong. It would be nice to have the step light hooked up to the porch light.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob RV:
Thanks Neil--I was hoping mine was wired wrong. It would be nice to have the step light hooked up to the porch light. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can hook it to the porch light. As stated read the manual.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just may do that! 1st I have to figure out what steps I have and go from there. I definatly like how it looks when the light is on the steps.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Just went to a Kwikee seminar this morning at the WIT GNR here in Forest City. The light only goes on with the door switch on and the door open. The only other knowledge from the seminar is to lubricate all the joints, the drive rod under the step and the pivot joints under the step with a light lithium grease preferably their own lubricant and to not use WD40 which they claim is more of a solvent then lubricant. They also recommend Hammerlite paint for rust control. He also mentioned that the two and three step steps are inter changeable, but the single step has a different bolt pattern.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Geez, I could never get my step light to go out, the only thing I found I could do was to unplug the light. That was easy

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Our step light comes on anytime the door is opened. It and the steps are wired to the engine battery. The battery was draining down and we were told to remove the key from the ignition because this also drains the battery. However the step light still works and to solve the problem I have hooked up the engine battery to a trickle charger.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote