Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Having the exterios Radio/CD player in the compartment outside is a good idea, but not a great one. In a bad area, you don't get good reception. Has anyone tried to run an additional set of speakers coming off the main RV radio to the outside area to take advantage of the SIRIUS radio? On the RV radio, is there an extra set of RCA outputs? I can foresee 2 ways of making the project work. Either, tap into the radio speakers and go under the coach with speaker wire until you get to your destination, or run an RCA set of pre-outs to the auxiliary input of another stereo unit that would act as an amplifier and run the speakers from this point. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Having the exterios Radio/CD player in the compartment outside is a good idea, but not a great one. In a bad area, you don't get good reception. Has anyone tried to run an additional set of speakers coming off the main RV radio to the outside area to take advantage of the SIRIUS radio? On the RV radio, is there an extra set of RCA outputs? I can foresee 2 ways of making the project work. Either, tap into the radio speakers and go under the coach with speaker wire until you get to your destination, or run an RCA set of pre-outs to the auxiliary input of another stereo unit that would act as an amplifier and run the speakers from this point. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

BigTrace
My exterior radio has an auxilary plug in the face plate that accepts the mini-plug I believe that is what they are called) similar to that of earbuds/earphones. I have an Ipod that I connect using an adapter with a male mini-plug on both ends. Plug one in the auxilary and one in the Ipod, set the radio on aux. and it works. Not sure how your sirius radio connects but if it is portable and uses the mini-plug, you can use it outside. Also, I don't like the speakers for the exterior radio since it not only provides sound outside, you can hear it inside also. I hooked an additional set of speakers to the rear speaker output wires on the exterior radio and set the speakers outside. Crank the radio to rear speakers only and you can barely hear the radio inside the coach. Not sure that I answered your question since I'm not familiar with Sirius, but it sure works with the Ipod. Good luck and let me know if it works.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Jim,

With Sirius, unfortunately, you NEED an additional antenna so it wouldn't work simply by plugging in the unit to the mini-plug connector unless I had another external antenna for it already run. I suppose I could get my portable unit from my other truck and hook in another Sirius auto cradle somewhere which would go along with your solution. I'll think about that too.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-30-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Tracy,

I've been trying to figure this out also. I have not come up with an answer yet but hopefully someone here will have. - hint - hint John C.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Adrian, I did find out that there is a 6 speaker switcher in the overhead cabinet above the passenger (behind where the King Dome Sat Controller is). I have a diagram given to me by Bryan to disseminate the wiring. It's a good "tapping" point, but whenever you tap speakers to speakers you will reduce the power to both sets of speakers due to ohm ratings. In other words, the speakers may not funtion properly and require you to turn up the volume more than would be normally necessary which could then affect your other speakers. It can be done though with another speaker selector, but maybe more complicated than it is worth. I'm more in favor of finding an RCA output to go into an input either by using a small amplifier, or another stereo's auxiliary input. The easiest way would be to just use another Sirius receiver, but I couldn't justify $7 a month MORE just for outdoor entertainment.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-30-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Tracy,

I agree with tapping into existing speaker wires. The end result is normally not satisfactory. You could work out a series of switches but as you said, it will probably be more troublethan it is worth. I think I will give MagnaDyne a call and see if there is an output on the radio. If there is then we can make up something to plug into the outside radio AUX port.

I'll let you know after I talk to MagnaDyne.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-30-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Tracy,

I just got off the phone with MagnaDyne Tech Support. There is no way short of tapping into existing speaker wires to get the audio outside. Bummer -

Now we need some other ideas

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-30-2006, 09:52 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The easiest way would be to just use another Sirius receiver, but I couldn't justify $7 a month MORE just for outdoor entertainment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I say we take up a collection...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I know that we are talking about Sirius radio,but my neighbor has XM radio, when they purchased it they also got a remote transmitter which is used to transmit a signal to another radio in your motorhome set on a frequency that local transmitting stations are not using.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Gardiser:
I know that we are talking about Sirius radio,but my neighbor has XM radio, when they purchased it they also got a remote transmitter which is used to transmit a signal to another radio in your motorhome set on a frequency that local transmitting stations are not using.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed,

Only the Sirius "portable" unit would do that. The coaches come with Sirius installed in the dash receiver which I activated. I do have a Sirius portable unit though and am now searching E-Bay for another cradle that I can attach to the MH outside. That is probably the easiest way of dealing with the issue.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-30-2006, 01:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I took the path of least resistance with satellite radio in the outside entertainment center. We have a Roady2 (XM) and I just move it from the Jeep to the coach dash to the outside area. It was cheaper (!) to buy a complete Roady2 radio for the extra antenna than to buy a seperate antenna. The Roady2 is an old model which is why I could get such a deal on the complete receiver/antenna.

Works for me.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

John - that is not the brilliant idea we were looking for from you

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-31-2006, 04:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdrianLee:
John - that is not the brilliant idea we were looking for from you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ha! - Adrian sometimes simplicity is brilliance (goes hand-in-hand with lazyness)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 04:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

John,

I can relate to that -

I guerss I'll have to look for a portable Sirius receiver.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD