Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Engine Batteries

2001 journey - On shore power engine batteries not charging 12.4 House batteries show 13.7. Immediately upon plug in current on panel show 12 to 14 for a while before dropping to 1 to 4 amps with lights only.
Does converter charge both sets of batteries?
mking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I believe I heard that Winnie didn't start adding the Trick L Charge feature untill around 2005 so I wouldn't be surprised if your chassis batteries didn't charge from shore power.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You simply need a Xantrex "echo charge" Works without any input from the user.
When the voltage of the coach batteries reaches a preset point. it starts to charge the vehicle battery. have one on mine, works great.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Winnebago started adding the Trik-L-Start as standard equipment on diesel rigs with the 2006 models. Simple to add yourself and works great. Here's a WIT Service Tip that shows how and where to install one.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Same thing happened in our coach. Shore power would not charge engine battery. Added Xantrex digital echo charger and now shore power charges engine battery too. Cost a little over $200 installed. Charging appears to go in cycles as house battery voltage drops to maybe 12.1V (approx), then charger kicks in and charges to 13.2v (approx). Engine battery follows house battery by about 0.2V (approx).

Only one glitch I ever noticed--I accidently plugged into hot shore power outlet and the charger appeareared to latchup but no damage. Now I am very careful to use my onboard 50A breaker to connect to shore power.

I check battery water levels often and found that every four months I need to add a little water to both engine and house Batteries. Batteries closer to engine compartment seem to take a little more water.

Trickle--start may also be a good product but I have no information to compare them.

jim & debbie, 04 winnabago journey
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I've had one of these for over 7 years hooked up to my chassis batteries on my 02 Horizon...If I'm going to be somewhere for more than a couple of days I just plug it in...

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 022-0150-DL-WH Waterproof 800 12V Battery Charger: Automotive
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

What a great resource. Thanks to all for your kind info.
mking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Chasis battery

I just install a "Trick L Start on my 2005 Winnebago. My chasis battery was going dead in 2-3 weeks. This has solved this problem !!! I highly recommend this product to anyone who doesn't have one. It keeps the chasis battery charged wether pluged into shore power or relying on the solar pannel. I got mine from RV Upgrade for $39.00 + shipping. Simple to install yourself.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote