Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Have the 400 ISL Engine on a Roadmaster Chassis -- Unit has been plugged in since Jan. -- went out this morning and the coach batteries OK -- motor would not turn over -- engine batteries dead -- monitor panel shows OK -- what do I look for??

Bill
Old 04-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have the 400 ISL Engine on a Roadmaster Chassis -- Unit has been plugged in since Jan. -- went out this morning and the coach batteries OK -- motor would not turn over -- engine batteries dead -- monitor panel shows OK -- what do I look for??

Bill
Old 04-25-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Use your battery boost button to start the engine (this uses the house batteries). After the engine starts watch your volt meter and see that the alt. is charging the engine batteries.

My coach charges both house, and engine while being plugged into shore power.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I tried the battery boost -- not enough to turn engine over, did have enough to get bedroom slide out -- I thought unit was to charge house and engine at same time while plugged in

Bill
Old 04-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #5

I have a gas-engine Sightseer; I thought that when the coach was plugged in to shore power it charges the coach batteries, but not the chassis (engine) battery. I've had mine in for service and went to pick it up and everything was totally dead; couldn't start the engine (chassis batteries) or generator (coach batteries). It was so dead the battery panel wouldn't even light up to tell me that it was dead!

When this has happened to me in the past, I've had to jump-start the chassis battery or trickle charge it to get the engine to start. I would also check the water level in all the batteries.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Are the chassis batteries original equipment?

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #7

Hey Fenceman!!,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have the 400 ISL Engine on a Roadmaster Chassis </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Isn't that called a Monaco???
Installed a xantrex Echo-Charge on mine to stop that from happening. Chassis batts are not charged while plugged in...
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The sticker on the battery tray says do not charge while batteries are hooked up -- would this apply to a trickle charger??

Bill
Old 04-26-2007, 02:01 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: My guess would be no. Batteries are always charged by the vehicle while they are hooked up, so this would not be different if you didn't exceed say 14 volts on charge. You might be able to damage some electronic equipment with some of the charger/boosters that are used for starting a vehicle with a dead battery. This sounds like a disclaimer to avoid problems with that sort of charger.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

There was some information a while back that the Ultimates had the ability to charge both the house and chassis batteries, but that Winnebago had removed that capability at some point. I have that capability in my '02 Ultimate Advantage.

You said your monitor panel showed 'ok'? Does that mean 12v on the coach and chassis batts? But nothing happened when you tried to start the coach? That would lead me to believe that 1) one of your batteries has failed 2) a cable from a chassis battery has corroded or fallen off 3) a relay has died in the start circuit 4) starter has shorted out or 5) batts are dead because your Ultimate Freedom is one of the ones that doesn't charge the chassis batts when plugged in.

There has also been information lately about someone who modified their charging system to charge the chassis batts when plugged in. You might consider that if you can find the information.

Regards,

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Although this happened on the house batteries ... it could happen to the engine batteries, too ...

One of the posts was nearly broken off ... so instead of having three house batteries I only had two ... when I checked them at the "one place" the voltage was good ... but when I boondocked the batteries died right away ...

So make sure that posts on one of your batteries have not been compromised or that you do not have lots of corrosion on one of the posts

In my case I had to by new house batteries
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote