Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

My EMS does not shed the 2nd A/c compressor or shed the hi fan to low fan. It sheds the H/W heater and the frig. The lights on the pannel go out but the 2nd compressor continues to run and the blower stays on high. It has a model 6535 Heat Pump. It was replaced under warranty a year ago and I am wondering if it was wired wrong or could the relays be bad?
Anybody have any experience on this system? Your replys are appreciated.
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My EMS does not shed the 2nd A/c compressor or shed the hi fan to low fan. It sheds the H/W heater and the frig. The lights on the pannel go out but the 2nd compressor continues to run and the blower stays on high. It has a model 6535 Heat Pump. It was replaced under warranty a year ago and I am wondering if it was wired wrong or could the relays be bad?
Anybody have any experience on this system? Your replys are appreciated.
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 07-18-2005, 01:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Petro, I have limited knowledge of the workings of the EMS and the electrical system as a whole. It is my opinion the EMS does not shed the A/c or the Fan. Only the things that you mentioned. I believe that it sheds the electrical items in the order listed on the panel.
If I don't know what I am talking about someone please correct me.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 06:34 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The EMS as used on Winnebago consists of a logic portion and a connection portion. The connection portion consists of the 4 relays that will drop out your designated loads while the logic portion sample the incoming power, makes decisions, and triggers the relays. If your LEDs are going out then the logic portion is working. This leaves either a bad relay, or a faulty connection.

First I'd be sure that the second stage compressor is actually running. If it's not running in the first place, the LED will go out but you won't see an amperage drop. In that event, the fault lies with the A/c unit, not the EMS.

Assuming that everything on the A/C end of things is working, you then have a problem in the connection side of the EMS. First I'd check for power to the relay itself with a multimeter. The A/C power from the breaker panel is routed through the relay before going on to the A/C unit. If the LED goes out and you still have power coming out of the relay then you have a bad relay. Same for the fan speed except I'm pretty sure that Winnebago uses a 12 volt relay to interact with one of the A/C circuits so check to see which is 12 VDC and which is 120 VAC before sticking your voltmeter in there. I don't know if the relays are a serviceable component or if you need a new module but that should point you towards the problem anyway. I have the Powerline 2000 manual on Acrobat .pdf format if you need it and get somehow get it to you over the web if necessary.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Petro:
Does your coach have, and are you plugged in to 50 Amp service? Or is it 30 Amp?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I tested my system on a 30 amp plug but set my EMS to 20 amps. The pannel shows the loads as being shed. The A/C doos not in fact drop off compressor #2. I had to shut off that breaker to stop it. I down loaded the print out from Winny and it shows relay #1 for H/W heater. #2 for A/C 2. #3 for fan speed. #4 for refer. Relays 1 is 20 amp for W/H. #2 is 10 amp for refer. #3 is for a/c 2 and #4 is for fan speed. Jumpers control the shed priority. #3 & #4 are for 12 v control of fan speed and a/c. I suspect the shedder board is bad as the relays are n/c and are opened to shed the load.

Thanks for the replys and I will advise with a reply when I work through the problem.

Cruzer, I know from a previous post that you installed an EMS in your Bus. I expect you have a good understanding how it is wired.

Thanks
Don
Old 07-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Don,

Sounds like you've done a good job of troubleshooting.

I'm not sure if you pulled the front panel off the electrical distribution (breaker) panel yet, to access the relay control board but I'd suggest you actually test the relays to make sure you don't have one sticking.

Of course unplug the motorhome to make sure you have no AC in the panel then remove the cover. You'll see the load shedding relays in the bottom. Since the relay contacts are NC and open to shed the load, the relays controlling an inductive load like an air conditioning compressor typically throw a pretty good arc as they open breaking the circuit. I can't recall from the last time I pulled my panel off whether you can pop the cap of the relays or not, but if you can, you can manually operate the relay to see if the contacts are welded shut.

If you are able to access the relays to get a meter on them, you might be able to see if the chedder control board is applying voltage to the relay coils. If it is, and you simply have a bad relay, those are much cheaper then replacing the entire board.

Good luck

Joe
Old 07-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

In my coach manual it says that the 2nd AC compressor only comes on when I run the generator and not when I am plugged into 30 amps. Although all of the lights are lit on the EMS panel when I am plugged in.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote