Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2022, 11:52 PM   #1
Okimar

EMS display sometimes blinks???

The display panel for the Powerline Energy Management System seems to be working, but it sometimes blinks the numbers for hours.

It doesn't seem to effect anything, but I'm wondering why it would be doing that.

Any ideas?
Okimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:43 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Two thoughts - first, you can try removing your RV from all power (shore and gen) and turn off the salesman/battery disconnect switch to kill 12v. Let it sit a minute, then restart. This will do a reboot on the EMS system. Maybe it's a fluke.

Next, I would gently remove the bezel on the display, remove the screws, and carefully pull it out from the wall a bit. There is a 4(?) pin cable that it uses to communicate to the panel in the 120v breaker box. Maybe the cable is slightly loose. Try reseating it.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:10 AM   #3
Okimar

Thank you. I'll give that a shot to see what happens.

I think the previous owner changed the house batteries to 2 6-Volt batteries and the cable connections look really poorly done based on what I've seen.

It looks like I'm going to have to get some cable, copper cable ends and a crimper to replace them.

From what I understand thru conversation with people in the past, having 2 6-volt batteries would be better than having 2 12-volt AGM batteries.

Do you agree with them?
Okimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okimar View Post
From what I understand thru conversation with people in the past, having 2 6-volt batteries would be better than having 2 12-volt AGM batteries.

Do you agree with them?
Well, it's a matter of opinion. There is definitely a group of RVers that are diehard 6V battery advocates. And there are good reasons for that. But is it a universal best? Not in my opinion.

6v Batteries are big, heavy and inexpensive. They are traditionally used for deep storage uses like Golf Carts and Fork Lifts, etc. So, the deep storage and lower price make them good for RVs, too. But their heavy weight and increased maintenance make them less good for RVs.

Also, 6-v batteries are commonly 220 amp hour batteries while similar sized 12v of similar size batteries commonly top out around 100 amp hours. Two 12v batteries create a 200 amp hour battery bank, while 2-6v batteries create a 220 amp hour 12v battery bank.

I prefer the simplicity of 12v AGM batteries. I'm not a fan of any battery that you have to add water to on a regular basis.

So, it's kind of 6 of one, half dozen of the other. You choose. But you will definitely find people on both sides of this debate eager to tell you which is best.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:34 PM   #5
Okimar

Thanks for that explaination.

You're correct about these being the old fashioned type where you have to manage water levels, which I also *seriously* dislike.

After considering your inputs, which I found to be logical, and also feeling negative about maintaining the water in batteries, I had an idea.

After doing a quick search online, I think that I'll most likely go with two 6-volt AGM batteries if the charger doesn't bring these back to life.

I appreciate your help and am thankful that you took the time to reply.

I plan on keeping this coach for the rest of my life, so hopefully I'll eventually amass enough experience (and spare parts in my compartments) to be helpful to someone one day when they need it the most.

Tags
ems