Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2020, 09:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Electrical Questions

We have a 2010 WB Aspect 28B. A few questions for those with more experience with RVs. First, does anyone know if there are any 12-volt outlets anywhere in the RV? I use a CPAP and would like to tap into the 12-volt supply to use it without the generator.
Second, I know WB included a 300-watt converter and I believe the only thing it powers is a 110 outlet in the front AV cabinet for the TV (correct me if you know better). If I wanted to buy a larger converter (1000 or 1500 watt model), is it possible to tie it into the house 120-volt outlets or should I just plug into the inverter directly?
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

First the term used is inverter for a device that takes 12V and outputs 120V.

A simple electrical system such as yours may have an inverter dedicated to the TV. It is wired to the DC system and its only output is to the outlet supplying the TV. So effectively DC is always powering the TV.

If you want to install a bigger inverter then I would look for one with an internal AC transfer switch. When you are plugged into shore power the inverter passes the AC straight through. But when shore power is not available the inverter takes over and uses DC power to make AC and passes it to various users.

This is the best way to set one up and is done on higher end coaches but to do so after it is built requires some serious rewiring.

Another way is to install a larger inverter that has several outlets on it. Install it in a cabinet and then run extension cords to the outlets to power up what you need to but that won't power the microwave unless you switch its power cord when you want to use the inverter.

Also you probably will need to upgrade your batteries to have enough capacity to run the inverter.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical