Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Electrical Question

2008 Winnebago Destination 39W

Here's the problem. While getting things squared away for my trip to Gaffney this week end I attempted to mount and set up the monitor for the toad brakes. Plugged it into the source at the drivers arm rest and nothing, no juice. Fuse is good. So how does one remove the arm rest to get at the socket and wires? I'm a little leery to get into it as the trans controls are mounted there, as well as the engine brake and so on. Past experience with RV's is there is no slack in a harness and you end up with more problems than you started with. Anybody have any input as to how to access this socket without painful surgery?

I'm thinking where there is only one power point why not run another line. Has anybody done that? If so where did you come in from? Or did you tap off a hot lead under the dash?

Any thoughts? Time is kinda short with the holiday and a ton of stuff to do. Didn't need this glitch.
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Since you already checked the fuse and it's OK, try a couple other things to verify there's no power to the 12V socket before doing surgery on the receptacle end:

1) Take the monitor and plug it into a known working 12V receptacle (maybe in the car). Verify it's working.

2) Take a 12V tester and verify there is no power to the 12V receptacle in the arm rest.

If both are true, then it may be time to do surgery, but I'd look for problems at the simpler end (source end) first before working towards the more difficult end (arm rest).

Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Does the monitor have a fuse in the cigarette lighter plug?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I tried the Garmin from of the car, no joy. Put a meter on it, nada.

Sooooo with the upcoming trip that requires a appointment and stuff I'm thinking some other way to power the monitor. I don't want to get involved with ripping things apart then run into more problems. The holiday is coming up, then the long weekend, not much will be open if things go south in a hurry.
Murphy's Law!!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
RKL
Winnebago Owner

electrical question

see if you can pull the 12v socket out..could be a connection fell off the socket post with openning and closing the door....RKL
Old 11-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL View Post
see if you can pull the 12v socket out..could be a connection fell off the socket post with openning and closing the door....RKL
No door just a wall. The armrest has come off to get at it imo. Actually that's why I'm looking for suggestions as to how to remove it properly without screwing anything else up.

As much as I hate to do a temp mickey mouse, a "floating" socket off a hot just might have to do for this trip. I can get into the armrest when I get back when time isn't a issue.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
.......... I'm looking for suggestions as to how to remove it properly without screwing anything else up.
I don't know anything about your specific model however, Winnebago is fond of using Velcro in places where you would not think they should use Velcro. The side arm rest on my coach that has mirror controls, Allison shift pad and a cigar lighter is fastened with Velcro.

Hope this helps you
Old 11-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

On my Journey you get access to the left armrest by removing the cupholder .... there is a screw way at the bottom ...

I am betting you have a similar tricky way of accessing the wiring hidden in there ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Did you start the motor home? I have seen cars wired with the 12 volt socket hooked to the accessory lead on the ignition switch.

Did you make sure your HOUSE batteries were "Connected" on my Rig selected 12 volt outlets are "House" this does not include the one on the dash, but it does include the other one in the front of the motor home.

If that does not work.. Add-a-socket.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My Meridan has 12 volt power outlets on the wall by the passinger seat and also by the dinette table. Possibly yours does also. If so, you may be able to use them and/or verify power to them also.

There is also a factory 12 volt wire harness for CB radio near the steering column. It might be useful.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Radio Shack has extension cords for 12v lighter plugs. To run from a different recept.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Okay, I've tried every configuration of batteries, engine running and so forth. There is absolutely nothing going on. It is dead!

The arm rest looks like a bunch of screws from underneath and a small opening to reach in down at the floor under the dash. No cup holder access, no Velcro. Again the armrest holds the transmission controls, the power mirror control, the engine brake and the joy stick to scroll through the dic. This job appears to be a real pia. Magnified as you have to be a contortionist and my back is junk.

Any more thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have a 09 Journey and the 12v outlet is at the front of the side wall mounted panel along with the transmission selector. The entire panel can be removed from the wall by removing about 6 screws. It won't go far when removed but you can easily access the wiring. If that doesn't work, you should find a 12v wire intended for a CB under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Check the wiring diagram for your coach to see if Winn installed it. I believe it is fused at 10 amps so you could add an outlet to it. It worked well for me.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
I have a 09 Journey and the 12v outlet is at the front of the side wall mounted panel along with the transmission selector. The entire panel can be removed from the wall by removing about 6 screws. It won't go far when removed but you can easily access the wiring. If that doesn't work, you should find a 12v wire intended for a CB under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Check the wiring diagram for your coach to see if Winn installed it. I believe it is fused at 10 amps so you could add an outlet to it. It worked well for me.
I'll look for the cb lead to see if it is there. That would probably do the trick.

Thanks much all, one of the suggestions should offer a out.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Decided to tackle the armrest. Pulled the screws out along the bottom and reached in far enough to get a hand on the connections. Wiggled the connection and pushed in, felt a bit of movement foreword and bingo had juice.

So, that will do until I get back and am able to afford some downtime and really get at that connection. I may mount another socket in the morning so I have a back up if this one fails again.

Tags
electrical