Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi,

Backup monitor, step, break stop lights and rear signal lights do not work.

I have checked all of the fuses, none are blown. The step only works with the switch in the off position, they will not retract when the engine is started.

All of the above problems happened at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi,

Backup monitor, step, break stop lights and rear signal lights do not work.

I have checked all of the fuses, none are blown. The step only works with the switch in the off position, they will not retract when the engine is started.

All of the above problems happened at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 10-04-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

What has been done to coach before problem started I would be checking for a common gnd connection loose on a gnd post some where on frame of chassis, too many fuses to blow unless main fuse for all items. Check a suspected fuse with a meter just to make sure. Also check for a harness plug in your wiring that may have come loose. If someone has done work on coach they may have loosen up a plug. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Backup monitor & step usually work off of the ignition switch. Stop lights & signal lights are a common circuit & could be? fed off of the ignition switch hot lead.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Check that #24 fuse and make sure your ignition switch is not melting. Did you happen to hit the "House heater" switch before your failure? The fan on my MotorAid seized and caused that fuse to blow. The Motor Aid is behind the water heater on my coach. After being bent over by my local dealer to "fix" the fuse blowing problem and the problem that the house heater wouldn't work and blew fuses, I asked for the old parts. I disassembled it myself. I found that on assembly of the fan in said Motor Aid,, someone did not make sure the fan would not move back and forth on the armiture, so it moved or was installed that way, causing the fan to cause it had moved past the spot where it was supposed to be seated. The seizure was only the fan not being able to move...not the fan motor. I fully expected a "man made" failure...
Old 10-06-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

A big thanks to all of the above for your help

The two brake lights were blown, burn out.

The fuses for the backup monitor was blown and also the fuse for the step was blown.

Jeff you are correct about the coach heater switch. There is definitely something wrong in that circuit causing the fuses to blow. I'm still looking for that problem.

Thanks,

Ron

PS I meant to add this into my reply.

007 ask what was done to the coach before the problem happened?

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but it seems strange that everthing would blow at the same time including the two brake light bulbs.

While on vacation this summer I plugged into a shaky outlet, something probably loose inside, and one of my ground fault recepticles started smoking. I had to turn the circut breaker off to stop the smoking.

Everything seemed to be ok after that but that was just about the same time I noticed my step didn't work right and the backup monitor had quit. I'm wondering if the outlet I plugged into causing the ground fault to short out could have fed current to the chassis causing the other DC circuits to blow? I didn't know the breaks light were out until we got home.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ron

Sorry but you've allowed yourself to learn the hard way by not taking good advice given at this and many other forums. "NEVER CONNECT TO ANY POWER SOURCE WITHOUT A "SURGE PROTECTION" DEVICE ON LINE FOR YOUR COACH". Notice the word any, it can happen even at home. High, low, spikes, mismatched wiring, faulty equipment, ect., ect. have been responsible for more problems in RVs than anything.

Better to be safe and not sorry, get yourself a good Surge Protection Device and use it 100% of time when you connect to any shore power source.

Radarr
Old 10-07-2005, 07:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ron and Dee, do you have a Workhorse chassis? If you do, check that ignition switch. A LOT things are wired through that switch. I know, I've had 3 installed...the last one supposedly "updated" with a modification. If you think you're capable of finding and removing the Motor Aid, be ready with new hoses/clamps while you're in there. My Motor Aid squirrel cage was pressed onto the arm too tight from the factory, so it couldn't turn freely and caused that fuse to blow. At a dealer...VERY expensive, if I knew then what I know now, I'd do without the coach heater. Jeff