Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-05-2022, 07:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical Outlets on House Battery

Should we have power to any electrical outlets while not on generator or shore power? On a recent trip we wanted to make coffee and charge devices, but we had no power to the electrical outlets. We started the generator and that worked, but we thought the house batteries and inverter would power up at least some outlets. Am I missing something or where should I troubleshoot?
Thanks.
OHVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHVista View Post
Should we have power to any electrical outlets while not on generator or shore power? On a recent trip we wanted to make coffee and charge devices, but we had no power to the electrical outlets. We started the generator and that worked, but we thought the house batteries and inverter would power up at least some outlets. Am I missing something or where should I troubleshoot?
Thanks.
It depends on your rig and how it is set up. Do you have an inverter, is the inverter switched on? How many watts is the inverter? What model and year RV are we talking about? For instance on my Via the inverter supplies power to 2 outlets, both are the TV outlets, and if I recall it is only 1,000 watts, not enough for a coffee maker. It also has an ON/OFF switch, Do not confuse your converter with an inverter, they are normally 2 different units although I believe there are also combination units.
Old 11-05-2022, 07:53 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

My Vista has a couple of inverter outlets. The one in the bathroom cabinet that the main TV is plugged into, and one in the bedroom for the rear TV, that same circuit powers the outside TV/Radio as well. Nothing in the kitchen area. The outlet on the wall below the main TV is supposed to be according to the diagram and Winnebago support, but it isn't. I had to go through the wall behind the TV to get to the bathroom outlet to plug in an outlet strip for my Roku and BluRay player. Microwave or coffee pot is generator or shore power only. The bedroom TV outlet is where we recharge phones, etc.
Old 11-05-2022, 08:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Guessing you have a Vista by your user name this manual describes the different inverter options and where they are located, although not sure of the differences from different model years. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/81...page=65#manual
Old 11-05-2022, 08:56 AM   #5
Site Team

The short answer is no, you shouldn’t have power from your inverter to all AC outlets in your motorhome.

We don’t know the Year, model or floor plan of your motorhome. Nor do we know what inverter or batteries you have installed. So, that makes it difficult to be specific when answering your question.

Some models have very small inverters that power only TVs and DVD players, etc. and other models have medium large to large output inverters that power some appliances, but not all, and some outlets, but not all.
Old 11-05-2022, 11:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHVista View Post
Thanks.
By going to this site, you will be able to take a look at how your specific RV is wired:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

You will have to either fess up to tell us what you have or go direct!

If going direct, don't let the vast amount of info there throw you a curve. Just look at the parts you need and ignore the rest. First look for info on the 110 volt system, then scroll down to get a page that looks much like a road map!

This is a guess at what you might find but almost certain not to be your RV!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	invert.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	184570

There are two ways the inverter may show. One is when you have a stand alone inverter panel showing power going in from inverter and then out to all the things it feeds.

Second is an inverter shown inline after the normal load center.
On that setup, you should look for the inverter and anything further out from the load center, will be fed by that inverter!
On my drawing markup, everything to the right of my blue inverter will feed off it when turned on and not shore power connected.

Good time to look at any GFCI outlets and sort what is fed after them also?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:52 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Mine were the same way. Only the TV’s and refrigerator were on the Inverter. I rewired it so that all of the plugs now work off of the inverter, and beefed it up to 2,000 watts.

Here’s an inspirational video I made.

https://vimeo.com/535638905/7a0ca18d12
Old 11-07-2022, 02:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

If your RV does not have at least a 1,500W inverter, it will not power a 120VAC coffee maker.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:02 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Generally true. However, I have a nice little 1 cup Mr. Coffee that only draws 500 watts.

One other reason why the OP might want to find out what outlets are powered by his inverter.

When on shore power, the shore electricity goes <through> the inverter to power the outlets. I was told that with my 1000 watt inverter, I should only draw 1000 watts from those outlets, even when on shore power or genny.

So that lets out space heaters, and many appliances.

Makes sense, but I haven't verified that advice anywhere...

Wyo, that plug under the TV is a great spot for a space heater, so WGO probably stopped wiring it to the inverter for your 2015. My 2014 is hot from the inverter, and I have made that mistake!
Old 11-09-2022, 08:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Generally true. However, I have a nice little 1 cup Mr. Coffee that only draws 500 watts.

One other reason why the OP might want to find out what outlets are powered by his inverter.

When on shore power, the shore electricity goes <through> the inverter to power the outlets. I was told that with my 1000 watt inverter, I should only draw 1000 watts from those outlets, even when on shore power or genny.

So that lets out space heaters, and many appliances.

Makes sense, but I haven't verified that advice anywhere...

Wyo, that plug under the TV is a great spot for a space heater, so WGO probably stopped wiring it to the inverter for your 2015. My 2014 is hot from the inverter, and I have made that mistake!
To help sort which is through the inverter, this is the layout shown on drawings for your Rv!
Those marked in blue will work off inverter, those in green do not and will not effect the inverter in any way.

Click these snips to get a better view!

Through inverter

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	184611

NOT

Name:	inverter 1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	184612

Name:	inverter 2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	184613

Keeping it all straight is the next challenge!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:10 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
No need to worry about limits of certain outlet’s power capabilities. The Inverter is not involved with those outlets when on shore power. That’s why they told you that power passes through on shore power.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:08 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Right - but isn't there a switching assembly inside the inverter? That was my concern.

It may be unfounded.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:33 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Right - but isn't there a switching assembly inside the inverter? That was my concern.

It may be unfounded.
Yes there is an auto transfer switch inside the inverter. But that should be of no concern when it comes to the power available at inverter outlets. That transfer happens whenever there is shore power present - routing all shore power around the inverter’s inverting functions.

When no shore power is present the inverter uses battery power to invert 12v to 120v. This power is limited by the inverter’s capabilities and your battery’s output. When inverting then, those specific outlets are limited in their output. When shore power is present the 120v completely bypasses the inverter section of your inverter charger and no such limit occurs.

Of course, all of your RV is limited on shore power by the supply from the campsite pedestal and your RV’s 30 or 50 amp service.

Tags
battery, electrical