Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Electrical outlets from battery

Hello - getting ready to take my first trip in my recently acquired 2018 MinniWinnie 31K. Can someone please give me some advice on how to operate the electrical outlets while running on battery while traveling? I need to run a small floor fan to circulate air through the coach while traveling.

Thanks in advance!
D Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

You could run the generator while traveling, which should energize the 110AC outlets in the coach, or if the fan doesn't need much power, you could get a small (400W?) inverter and plug it into any available 12VDC outlet and plug the fan into it. There's an unused cigar lighter 12VDC outlet on the dash, yes?
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I am not familiar with the MiniWinnie but doesn't it have an inverter already installed?

We just run an extension cord from the built-in 1000 watt inverter in our Fuse and run fans off of that. All we have to do is turn the inverter on, moving or stationary, and it saves us the trouble of starting the generator.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Your Minnie Winnie probably has an inverter that will supply A/C power to selected outlets (TV for example and near the bed for a CPAP machine). Get a $5-10 outlet tester at a hardware store and find which outlets stay powered when the inverter is on but shore power or the generator is not on.

Then plug your fan into one of those outlets.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I do not see an inverter on that specific model, so I would have to say you need to go a different direction than simple plug in. One, as mentioned is to get a small enough fan to run off an inverter bought and tied to battery power in the RV. An inverter is one which makes AC from DC.
That requires checking the amps the fan will require and buying the inverter big enough to provide that.
Or possible cheaper, less complex to buy a 12 volt fan and plug it into one of the 12 volt DC outlets? This will take knowing how much power the fan will need by looking at the specs on the fan and then finding a source of 12VDC to provides at least that much.
This one which may be TOO CHEAP but only draws one amp so likely to be able to plug into any dash 12VDC supply as they are often 5 amp at least.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, electrical