Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Electrical - multiple issues

Looking for some help please...

Rear bedroom slide out on motorhome stopped working. Removed both motors and confirmed they were working - one had some melted wire ends. Reinstalled motors - they were not in sync and button on control pad didn't operate motors. Connected motors to a battery source and they ran the slide out in and out multiple times - worked under a load. This led me to think I have an issue with the control button for the slide out or need to get the slide motors back in sync.
That's still to be fixed.

In the mean time the electric door step stopped working and the power to the jacks isn't working - this makes 3 different electrical items - the steps, jacks and control unit for rear slide. Batteries are in good condition and charged.

Any thoughts on something I should check?
SHS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Check ground to chassis

The only thing that I can think of that would account for 3 very different circuits would be a grounding problem.

I'd check the battery cables - remove, clean, replace - and then check for a grounding strap to the chassis somewhere.

I can't think of any other reason for 3 very different items on different circuits to stop working - but they work when connected directly to a power source...if I understand correctly.

Just my thoughts....anyone else?
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Check the wiring crimps behind your converter. I had a bad one that took a few years to finally burn through due to arcing. In our case the circuit included the fridge otherwise we might not have noticed as quickly as we did.

Have you also double checked the fuses? You mention melted wires. A condition that melts wiring should have blown a fuse. Sometime fuses don't blow all of the way so things attached to them might still work until they draw enough current to finish the fuse off. Another thing to check that the circuit is fused with a correct size fuse. Again based on you saying some of the wiring is melted an oversized fuse could cause this by not protecting the circuit.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for quick replies.

Motorhome is a 2007 Itasca Sunova 35J. The controllerfor the slide outs is labeled a Kwikee, however, I'm told that was bought out by PowerGear and then Lippert. I've talked to the rep at Lippert several times and also the rep directly at Winnebago. Today they told me that the controller for the slides is obsolete - no longer made. There are no replacement models available from Lippert. They directed me to try and source a used one on my own...

I'm still not 100% convinced that the problem is in the controller for the slide out. After repairing one of the motors on the rear slide out, I haven't been able to get anyone to give me directions on how to reset the 2 motors/arms. Holding the button and doing manual mode isn't working. Any thoughts?

Wonder if anyone has a chart or layout to show what fuses or circuit breakers go to? I'm not certain what each of the ones in the fuse panel in the driver's compartment go to.

Thanks.
SHS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical