Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
Jim

electrical coupler

Any ideas how to make this connection weather resistant but still easily disconnected. It is a connection that will be between TV and TT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photos Library.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	177766  
Old 03-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Stick in zip-lock bag, attach bag with clothes pin and point the bag up? Works for Christmas lights.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Stick in zip-lock bag, attach bag with clothes pin and point the bag up? Works for Christmas lights.
Considered something to that nature but was concerned about drawing moisture? But was thinking more in the line of when it's connected for protection also.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Small plastic food storage box with snap on lid, notched with 2 short slots the width of cable, orient with lid facing downward ?
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #5
Jim

I'm wondering if a coating of vacuum grease over the joint might be sufficient during tow days.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:06 PM   #6
Site Team

How about this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075X1D2TN
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 3.05.42 PM.png
Views:	53
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	177767  
Old 03-14-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You probably did not give enough info to let folks know what is needed. Can we assume this is a connection at the back of the tow vehicle and you want to have it watertight during movement? What level of power or what is the use of the wiring, as that may change the need? Is this coax, so that a simple change of plugs is not practical?
Old 03-14-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
Jim

Quote:
You probably did not give enough info to let folks know what is needed. Can we assume this is a connection at the back of the tow vehicle and you want to have it watertight during movement? What level of power or what is the use of the wiring, as that may change the need? Is this coax, so that a simple change of plugs is not practical?
Yes while towing. 4 pin cable to rear view camera. Will double as rear security camera when disconnected and run inside of TT to secondary monitor.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Okay found this as an idea to let you check for size, etc.
I've not used this one, so no idea of how easy to unsnap but it seems to be user friendly to some level. It might need some added packing at the ends, etc. but may be worth a look?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Twist-an...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

There are two items which I might want to look at using on the contacts. One is WD-40 as it stands for "water displacer# 40"!

But I also use a fair amount of an item called "no-ox-id" a special grease for electrical contacts. It keeps corrosion down but is not an electrical insulator, so I use it on battery posts and cables both before and after putting them together as a way to keep the air out but let the current flow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23336557944...BoCDa0QAvD_BwE

A little tin of it is pretty expensive looking at around $8 but if it keeps my batteries from going bad, I call it a bargain! It comes out pretty thick, like thick toothpaste but I like to lay the tin on a lightbulb for a few minutes and it gets soft and thinner, so that an old toothbrush works good to put it on cables.

Maybe a combo of both?
Old 03-14-2021, 09:32 PM   #10
Jim

Quote:
Okay found this as an idea to let you check for size, etc.
I've not used this one, so no idea of how easy to unsnap but it seems to be user friendly to some level. It might need some added packing at the ends, etc. but may be worth a look?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Twist-an...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

There are two items which I might want to look at using on the contacts. One is WD-40 as it stands for "water displacer# 40"!

But I also use a fair amount of an item called "no-ox-id" a special grease for electrical contacts. It keeps corrosion down but is not an electrical insulator, so I use it on battery posts and cables both before and after putting them together as a way to keep the air out but let the current flow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23336557944...BoCDa0QAvD_BwE

A little tin of it is pretty expensive looking at around $8 but if it keeps my batteries from going bad, I call it a bargain! It comes out pretty thick, like thick toothpaste but I like to lay the tin on a lightbulb for a few minutes and it gets soft and thinner, so that an old toothbrush works good to put it on cables.

Maybe a combo of both?
The snap cover is something I was looking for, checked Home Depot but couldn't find them, will look again. I've got some terminal grease, may give that a try along with some vacuum grease outside the connectors. Will update when I get a chance to follow through. Thanks all
Old 03-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Pill Bottle + 2 grommets

1. Drill appropriate size hole in bottom and end cap of a plastic pill bottle.
2. Stretch a neoprene grommet (Home Depot) over the connector on each cable..
3. Thread one cable through the hole in the bottom of the cylindrical bottle.
4. Insert the grommet into the pill bottle hole.
5. Do the same for the pill bottle cap.
6. Connect the connectors and slide the cap into place on the bottle
7. Use auto paste wax (H2O repellent, chemically inert and electrical insulator) on the cable and grommets, makes it easier to assemble and disassemble.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical