Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical #2 thread, the dang radio...

Ok, so thank for the help with my fans, I now know what needs to be done, but now it comes to the dash radio not working, I think its the amplifier, but I can't find it, so I have music coming from the TV when using the dvd/vhs combo, and I have flipped the speaker selection switch to both radio and t.v. and pushed the tiny little power button next to it.. I have also made sure my house batteries were on, and tried the radio power switch on the dash.. none of this produced any sound from the radio at all, only sound I get is via the backup camera... I've looked under the dash, but other than the hwh box, there is no amp, but there is a set of RCA cables not plugged into anything and there is a CB antenna lead, so all that stuff might be for the cb kit that this rig doesn't have. So I need to know if I have to pull the radio to get access to the silly relay that I think is activated via the little power switch next to the speaker source switch, and where is the amplifier? Or should I just order the 1.5 DIN kit and replace the whole thing???? Still need to know where the amp is so I can chuck it....
mfannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Sigh, pulled the radio, now I know what the speaker wire coloration is, but I can't see the relay...
Old 12-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Any ideas on the dash radio? Where to start after flipping switches, etc??? Where is the amp located???
Old 12-08-2020, 12:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Take a look at page 10 of the Front End Wiring Installation diagram for your coach--perhaps that will help.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Not a sound guy, so was short on thinking but if no better ideas come round, this is maybe some help. Your year is outside the range which they give us super info on the parts catalog but this is from the wiring and all I' have found. Some questions on which options and if you have what they call the "deluxe sound", so approach this with care as it may be things you don't have?
This drawing and the one is page 9. Some info on plugs from sheet 7
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_138561.pdf
Looks like maybe under dash near left side??

The info for bubble for option 20F is down in the right corner and says, "deluxe sound without". They are not telling us too many details beyond that----or I don't see it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radio.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	176157   Click image for larger version

Name:	radio amp.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	176158  

Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

This is good info, where is the relay? Is it under the "hood" with the rest of the 12v chassis fuses and relays???
Old 12-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

That's forcing into some really wild guessing!
But guesses are cheap so I would say it is a relay inside under the dash and looks like might be mounted under and possibly on the wall by the way they drew it.
So can you get enough access to find the wiring cable to the back of the heater and A/C control and then follow it down to the bundle which goes off to the left to the plug for the relay tail?
I know! Only if your back is like a snake and you've got four eyes! And there's sure to be plenty of light down there to see!
I've got a couple relays under my dash that I can see if I pry two sections of dash apart but no way I'm ever going to reach them!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	radio relay.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	176191  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:29 PM   #8

Here's something I kept for just such an emergency. I don't know where I got it, but if it helps you... your thanks go to another forum member.

POWER SWITCH (RADIO-TV) PROBLEM (Unknown Winnebago Model)

Well the problem was the relay that is activated by the Radio/TV switch. The Radio/TV switch in the compartment above the passenger’s windshield sends 12V over "132728-01 DP1" to the relay "SCLD-W-B-4PDT-C" made by Song-Chuan located behind the radio.

This relay has a clear plastic case and 4 contacts within the case that move depending on the position of the Radio/TV switch. The relay was hard to find but by following the speaker wires from the radio it was there.

=== /// ===

I suspect the above explanation is for 2003 and earlier Winnebago coaches; which means 2004-??? coaches came with a sound system type as I will describe below.

This information may be of use to you here, or someone else later, so here you go... Follow at your own risk. lol.

My 2004 may also have a slightly more modern speaker switching system, but a ton of Winnebago's for years came with the Magnadyne M1 radio (that has terrible sound over time due to leaking capacitors inside); and this radio is powered by a Riverpark Amp that is not ideal, but does the job. I think you find your money is better spent on replacing your speakers, but this is trial and error.

...The schematics below are for most Magnadyne radio connections, which will help you hardwire to a standard radio wire kit when you upgrade your radio to a 1.5 din. (I like the bluetooth upgrade so I can play audio books through my cell phone more than I use it to talk on the phone.)

...I also bought a Kenwood deck that came with a CD slot in the $175 range... and I like it okay. And maybe that slot will come in handy someday if I want or need to mount a 10" Tablet. (I'm just saying this CD slot may come in handy someday, but I never play CDs now.)

...A better tip is to mount a stick-on magnetic cell phone holder you can buy at most Walmart stores. (See picture.) I like it better because my cell phone is mounted UP HIGH so I can sort of keep my eyes on the road (better) than if your cell phone is down low. ...Same goes for my GPS, which I mount on top of the dash using a bean-bag mount.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Magnadyne M9900 Wire Diagram.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	176197   Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 Itasca Driver's Area & Dash.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	176200  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Amp.pdf (86.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf Magnadyne-Car-radio-M9999-UM.pdf (275.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf Winnebago Stereo & TV Wiring Diagram - AMP by RiverPark.pdf (103.0 KB, 49 views)
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Still hoping that someone can tell me where the amplifier is near the dash, I found a handful of wires including a left/right RCA connector and a bundle of 11 wires that look like they should be be for the speakers, but I cannot tell if this bundle is from the radio or not, I know the RCA are for the t.v., so I believe that these are source connectors... but, I need to know where are the speaker wires at? I ASSUME they are connected to an amplifier, but no clue where, and I really want to avoid tearing the whole front end apart if there is someone who has looked at the amplified before and can give me some details...
Old 12-16-2020, 04:18 AM   #10
Just Trying to Help

mfannan-

According to Richard's post #5, the amplifier (if one exists) is near the driver's left foot, perhaps inside a plastic box that supports the switches to the left of the driver position, and in front of the subwoofer, if one exists.

The same drawing shows the radio/TV speaker switching relay (if one exists) is behind the radio.

Wiring diagrams for your coach are here. The Automotive Wiring Diagram, sheet 1, zones D-27 and D-28 (page 5 of the PDF document) show the connectors to the radio and the speaker switching relay. Zone A-17 shows the amp wiring.

It appears from that diagram that circuit "JA" sends 12V to the speaker selector switch. The switch sends 12V on circuit "DP" to the amplifier. The amplifier then sends positive and negative signals ("CK" and "CL," respectively) to the speaker switching relay.

At least, that is how the coach was supposedly built. After almost 20 years, any number of changes could have been made.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:20 AM   #11
Big Blue

I have a 2005 Itaska Horizon and my amplifier is in the out side storage cabinet on the drivers side. It is attached to thebox with the circuit breakers. I hope this helps you find your amplifier.

2005 Itaska Horizon
2016 Toyota Camry Frog
Paul06trike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, radio