Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

electric upgrades - wiring question

I have a 2016 View J.

I bought 2 Battle Born Lithium batteries, an 1800W Xantrex inverter to replace the 1000W inverter, and an upgraded charger to fully charge the batteries.

All replacements were straightforward.

However.

I now need to upgrade some of my cables to 2/0 AWG. I have done this for all the battery connections, but I now need to consider the Inverter.

I was under the impression that all I had to replace was a POS run from the battery compartment (after the 250A fuse - also updated) to the POS terminal on the inverter.

Looking under the vehicle it looks like it is not a straight run - like there is an interconnect or something - it's obscured between a metal plate and the floor of the RV. I took the bottom drawer by the fridge out to see if there was an access panel - no.

I'm trying to decipher the wiring diagrams but not doing a good job.

Anyone have insight into this? I wanted to be able to complete this myself but am really stuck.

Thanks.
vman4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

OK - so I got this working. It turns out my cable running from positive to positive between the two batteries had a bad connection to it's end point. I replaced all the battery cables with 2/0 just to be safe - also replace the fuse to 250A - and everything is working great. I was able to run the Kureg to make coffee - no issues.

While making coffee I held on to the cable going to the inverter to see if it would generate any heat - nope - just fine.

Happy with the upgrade.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have been thinking of doing this next time I need batteries.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman4639 View Post
OK - so I got this working. It turns out my cable running from positive to positive between the two batteries had a bad connection to it's end point. I replaced all the battery cables with 2/0 just to be safe - also replace the fuse to 250A - and everything is working great. I was able to run the Kureg to make coffee - no issues.

While making coffee I held on to the cable going to the inverter to see if it would generate any heat - nope - just fine.

Happy with the upgrade.
I assume you also replaced the ground or Neg cable from the inverter with 2/0 to match the Pos side. It's a complete circuit, all parts equal. Just saying...
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Looks like from post 2 he just did the battery cables to 2/0... and felt the existing wire for heat while making coffee...
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Owens View Post
Looks like from post 2 he just did the battery cables to 2/0... and felt the existing wire for heat while making coffee...
Yes. Everything before the fuse is 2/0. Everything after the fuse was left alone.

I had an electrical engineer at work look it over. Apparently there are many differences in how lead acid and lithium batteries behave.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #7
Site Team

One consideration is house battery charging from your vehicle’s alternator. There are various views on this. Some disconnect the alternator from the LiPo batteries due to voltage/charging differences. Others feel it’s no problem. I know Battleborn sells a device to isolate the alternator from their batteries. Have you done anything about this?

Also why did you buy both a new inverter and a new charger? Wouldn’t have been cheaper and easier to get a combination inverter/charger?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
One consideration is house battery charging from your vehicle’s alternator. There are various views on this. Some disconnect the alternator from the LiPo batteries due to voltage/charging differences. Others feel it’s no problem. I know Battleborn sells a device to isolate the alternator from their batteries. Have you done anything about this?

Also why did you buy both a new inverter and a new charger? Wouldn’t have been cheaper and easier to get a combination inverter/charger?
1. Batteries / Alternator. I have read the same debate. So far I have done nothing. I plan on reading a bit more on it and may even send a note to BB and see what they recommend. They have been responsive during this process.

2. Inverter / Charger. To be honest, I didn't give this much thought beyond - "Going to a single inverter / charger will likely require changes to the wiring - and having looked up under the RV this seems to be a pain. So I'd rather replace items in place." I did not research it - so going to a single unit may in fact be easier than I thought. I can say that changing the two separately in place could not have been easier.

Tags
upgrade, wiring