Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2022, 05:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electric Hot Water Tank Switch in 27N

We have a 2020 Winnebago Adventurer 27N. I have a question about the wall switch to turn the electric hot water tank on. When I push the switch to the "ON" position there is no indicator light to show that it is on. Should there be an indicator light? We had a similar switch in our Itasca that lit up red when the switch was turned on.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes, there should be a light from inside the switch when the switch is ON

The switch that signals the hot water heater to use the 120 VAC heating element is fed 12 volts DC from the "JA" wire fed 15 A DC branch circuit. The output to the hot water heater is wire "HHJ". There IS a lamp inside the switch, there ia third wire on the switch to ground - wire JP. If switch is ON and the ground to the switch is good the lamp should be ON.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Randy for that information. Soooooooooooo since the switch correctly turns the 120 VAC hot water tank on and off.....but the light does not work there seems to be two most likely conditions, either there is a 12 VDC wire not connected or the switch lamp is defective. I guess that the lamp is built into the switch and not replaceable.
This switch and a bunch of other things are mounted in a metal wall plate. Is there a way to just get to this switch or do I have to pull the entire metal plate off the wall?
Old 03-31-2022, 06:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I don't know how to access the switch as I have never worked on your type before. It is also possible that Winnebago stopped using a switch with the built in indicator light.

In the earlier designs the switch was a stand-alone plastic type that went into a cutout in the wall held in by two small screws, that were hidden behind a pop off plastic trim ring.

They may not be using the same switch anymore if yours is in a metal panel. No way to tell from Winnebago Ind customer electrical documentation as Winnebago stopped posting the wiring information for their RVs as new models rolled out since 2014.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Randy: Thank you for your comments. I'll try to post a note when (if) I get this figured out. Have a great day.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Fiat View Post
Randy: Thank you for your comments. I'll try to post a note when (if) I get this figured out. Have a great day.
I have a 2019 27N and it doesn't have a light on the A/C water heater switch either.
Oakprk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:59 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I wouldn't really mind if mine didn't have a light, that thing is annoyingly bright and makes it impossible to sleep without closing the bedroom door.
Old 04-07-2022, 02:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Oakprk and wyocamper for your comments.
Old 04-07-2022, 06:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
No way to tell from Winnebago Ind customer electrical documentation as Winnebago stopped posting the wiring information for their RVs as new models rolled out since 2014.
This isn't entirely the case although the info is more limited than in prior years. There's a "110V Wiring Installation/Diagram" for the 2020 Adventurer 27N (and I presume others since 2014) but only the installation info for the 12V system plus some detailed info for some systems (holding tank, TV/DVD, etc.). It's still more info than provided by most other manufacturers. Here's the link and complete list:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File..._f27n_wire.htm

Adventurer F27N Wiring Diagram Book
110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch
Battery Installation
Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation/Diagram
Body, 12 Volt Wiring Installation
Chassis Electrical Box Assembly
Chassis Wiring Installation
Exterior Lamps Wiring Installation
Front End Wiring Installation
Holding Tank Monitor Panel
Holding Tanks Wiring Diagram
Panel-Control, Wiring Harness
Slide Out System Wiring Diagram
TV Coax Wiring Diagram
TV/DVD Wiring Installation
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:07 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Do you have an ems nearby that shows load? That would be the way to tell it's working or not without the light. The heater element should draw about 11 to 12 amps.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Good morning puttin. Sorry, don't know what a "ems" is. The switch works fine and the hot water tank operates properly when the switch is turned to the "on" position. My only question had to do with whether or not an indicator light should light up when the switch was in the "on" position. It is a small thing.......just something that bugs me. In our previous motor home and travel trailer we had similar switches that had a red indicator light that lit when the switch was in the "on" position. Have a great day.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:15 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

An ems- elect. magmt system, is there to shed loads and prevent breakers from tripping. The ones by Intellitek had an led telling you how much load you were drawing at any time (among some other features). They were standard on many Sightseer models and definitely on the Adventurer. Led is a light-emitting diode- used in many switches where space is small. By-the-way, you can buy and install a small led for yourself. Do a search and I think you'll find them, I forgot who makes-sorry.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
This isn't entirely the case although the info is more limited than in prior years. There's a "110V Wiring Installation/Diagram" for the 2020 Adventurer 27N (and I presume others since 2014) but only the installation info for the 12V system plus some detailed info for some systems (holding tank, TV/DVD, etc.). It's still more info than provided by most other manufacturers. Here's the link and complete list:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File..._f27n_wire.htm

Adventurer F27N Wiring Diagram Book
110 Volt Load Center/Auto Transfer Switch
Battery Installation
Body, 110 Volt Wiring Installation/Diagram
Body, 12 Volt Wiring Installation
Chassis Electrical Box Assembly
Chassis Wiring Installation
Exterior Lamps Wiring Installation
Front End Wiring Installation
Holding Tank Monitor Panel
Holding Tanks Wiring Diagram
Panel-Control, Wiring Harness
Slide Out System Wiring Diagram
TV Coax Wiring Diagram
TV/DVD Wiring Installation
Understood, but not making the DC wiring diagram available to RV owners make it super hard to troubleshoot anything related to DC wiring on a Winnebago Motor Home. The best you can do is download the general information on what Wire Letter Codes are described to be, but you can not tell with any certainty where the other end of a DC wire is with the information Winnebago now shares.

I was able to know about 95 % of the wiring on my 2015 Vista because Winnebago still was posting Winnebago Vista wiring diagrams in the 2013 model year. It's just a few new things added after 2013 like the power bed above the front seats and the front power shade that are not on the 2013 drawings.

My advice to all Winnebago owners is to download ALL the files you can see for your model and year "just in case" Winnebago ever stops making them available. Never know if or when the CEO in Minneapolis will tell the Motor Home Division they are not profitable enough and they disappear to save a few bucks. Or they drop them for business reasons (don't want to share design details with competitors) like I believe happened with wiring diagrams.

Every Make and Model Motorhome still has wiring diagram drawings they just don't post them on the customer facing web site anymore.

One thing I suggest you can do is if you have a post 2013 Vista, Vista LX or Adventurer is go to the 2013 Vista section and download the available wiring diagram for a length similar to yours. It will be pretty close (90% or better) to your current motorhome as they are all decendents of the Vista.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:54 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Hi Bob,

I just replaced the light bulb in the water pump switch under the bathroom sink. Fairly easy job! And I have 5 leftover LEDs, as I had to purchase 6.

I think all of the huge red switches have bulbs in them - is it the big one? Like 1-1/2 inches tall? For some reason they come with incandescents installed, as do the water pump switches, and can burn out. LEDs never do.

Anyway, bring the switch on by, and we can have a look if you like.

Dan
Old 04-12-2022, 03:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thank you again to Puttin and Randy for your input. Thanks Dan for the offer of the LED....I'll pull the switch and see if there is a spot for a lamp.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:08 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Sometimes we miss using what info we do have posted? One of the bigger helpers I find is the parts catalog here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Too many skip it because they are not ready to order but fail to know how much info is there, if we learn how to look for it.

Step one is knowing what you have and often that needs even the serial number to get fully reliable info, so I will let you do the sorting there. Second is that there is a fair amount of "learning curve" so look at it as a video game and play the controls until you can "drive" better???

Looking at the 12v electrical, I see several possible switchs for the heater but which? Again, I will let you sort it as you can see your RV!

Basic help on controls is the far left item at the bottom which looks like a cross? Click it and then click on the drawing to set a point to keep centered! Scroll and drag to move around and zoom. Sort around and click each spot which looks like a switch and it highlights that info on the PDF at right to id the part number.

If it says something like switch toggle lighted, you know you've got a burned out bulb but you have a part number and can then look up that number to do a really close look or order one! Google search of just the part number will often show results.

Or is it this one? click this snip for a better view!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	182477  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:24 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Morich/Richard. I did not know about that website.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:42 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Richard.....The page that you brought up did not accurately show the switch I have. I did not find the exact configuration that I have (yet) but I did find a switch similar to what I have and it does not say that it is lighted, so I think I will just pull the switch and look for myself if there is a little lamp inside. Thank you again for this website....I am sure that it will come in handy in the future.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:25 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

I find that site so handy for so0 many different things.
Think of the trauma you can avoid if you have a plumbing leak and can see where the plumbing lines run!
One of the fun things to deal with in Rv are the leaks and if we have the rigsetting on a slope, the water may run to a totally different spot to show up but it sure can help if we look in that spot and can say for sure there are NO pipes in the area!

If you want to drill a hole for some project, I like to look at what is on the other side BEFORE I drill!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:59 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Thank you Morich/Richard and everyone else for input.
I bet that all you long time RVers know......but I learned something today that I thought that I would pass along.
The outlets and switches in many RVs....and in the case of this switch that I had hoped to have a pilot light in are not the same kind as are common in our site built homes. There is no electrical box behind the switch.....the enclosure where the wires are connected is manufactured into the body of the switch or outlet. These special switches and outlets are specifically made for modular housing and RV applications. Without installing a box, one cannot use the standard type of switches and outlets used in homes. So I will live with the switch that I have and move on to other projects.

Tags
switch, tank, water