Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Electric brakes on towable

I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey and am purchasing a trailer with electric brakes. What do I need to make all functions work? as far as connections?
Adajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Under the dash you should find the trailer brake connecter.( I will look for my photos later.)

You will need to install a trailer brake controller. A 7 pin cord to the trailer.

Found them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	181332  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trailer Conecter.pdf (354.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: pdf Trailer brake conector.pdf (279.4 KB, 63 views)
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

electric brake controller

Thanks for the pictures and information.

I love this site!
Adajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

You can buy a Curt Echo wireless brake controller. Works off your smart phone. A lot easier to deal with rather than installing a brake controller. Did this on our 2016 Journey. Worked great on our car hauler.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVThunder View Post
You can buy a Curt Echo wireless brake controller. Works off your smart phone. A lot easier to deal with rather than installing a brake controller. Did this on our 2016 Journey. Worked great on our car hauler.
Looks like a great system. I believe that the Curt Echo wireless brake controller is hard-wired into your RV's braking system, it's just done at the seven pin outlet instead of under your dash. I guess it's sort of a plug and play system. Then the amount of applied braking pressure can be controlled wirelessly through your cellphone. Pretty cool system.
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 04:37 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I purchased and installed a Curt Echo for my Adventurer 38Q to deal with the brakes on my tow dolly. It was a big mistake for me. The Echo device is a great idea and device, but the 40' distance from my cell phone by the drivers seat to the Echo device which set on the hitch would only allow me to utilize the system in its default "no signal" mode. The blue tooth signal was not strong enough from my cell phone and the interior structural interference limited the range for the devices to communicate. Now my new Curt Echo sits on the shelf and unfortunately is not quite heavy enough to be my very expensive boat anchor. I goofed buying this one.

I think the devices are great controllers for pick-up trucks and shorter vehicles, and clearly they have worked well for others as noted here, but their use in something in the range of 40' just did not work for me.

Just my experience
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Americanrascal, do you really need to have your cell phone connected to your Echo controller once you set the braking pressure? Doesn't it work the brakes even when out of reach of your cell signal?

Maybe you should sell me your used Echo! I'd like to try this system.
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Bluetooth can be flakey so my preference is a traditional, wired controller. I've had good luck with Prodigy controllers with two TTs before I got my MH.

https://www.tekonsha.com/product/908...l-proportional

From what I see on the website for the Curt Echo, it looks like the phone acts as the control unit and is used when you need to apply additional brake pressure, which is something you might need to do to stop your trailer from fishtailing. If you have a problem with your phone, you lose the ability to manually control the braking system. Even if the Bluetooth is reliable, I don't like the idea of depending on a phone app for something like this.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

If the vehicle is not prewired for trailer brakes, is there an adequate 12VDC to the connector? Do you still have to add wiring?

In my Horizon the red/white wire for brakes was under the dash, as well as the 30 Amp red wire for 12VDC. Once the connector was found it was almost plug and play.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf trailer brake wireing _2_.pdf (102.9 KB, 40 views)
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:55 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Grapehound:
PM me- I'll dig it up. It goes into a setting for its last known communication. But the ability to override the system and to manually brake the tow vehicle is lost. I specifically wanted that ability and feature on my rig.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, tow