Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Elec switch at step

The switch that controls all the RV stuff (Frig-pump-lights-anything that needs power) stopped working. As soon as you turn it on it turns its's self off. Have it in for service---They can't seem to locate it. At least they have had it a week and no calls saying it's ready. Any hints to tell them just what to look for????
Thanks
Old 01-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The switch controls the battery disconnect solenoid. Since the same device (perhaps not the unit installed in your coach) is used on almost all motorhomes and is far from new technology, I would think that a dealer would have experience dealing with issues. You might want to think about the competency of your dealer if they reach roadblocks solving such a simple device and make alternative plans else where. Alternatively, they might be offering that as an excuse for not having gotten around to your coach. Either way it looks to me like a lame excuse.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Beak12, what is the model and year of your coach.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak12 View Post
The switch that controls all the RV stuff (Frig-pump-lights-anything that needs power) stopped working. As soon as you turn it on it turns its's self off. Have it in for service---They can't seem to locate it. At least they have had it a week and no calls saying it's ready. Any hints to tell them just what to look for????
Thanks
Beak12,
Yes, it would be nice to know your year/make and model of coach because, not all coaches, gas or diesels, are wired the same. And that means, answers you may get, may not be all that accurate due to the fact that, your coach may not have the same setup as some that are answering.

Now, with all that being said, you say "...it turns itself off"....

That could be a sign of a short and, if you have a battery disconnect switch for the house battery or, batteries, you may have a heavy duty auto-reset circuit breaker in there that's sensing a short and is automatically shutting off the system, as soon as you or, a tech turns it on. I mean, why else would something "turn it self off" as soon as you turn it on????

Good luck and please post if you find an answer so that others may learn.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ok, there are a few different systems used here but I will describe one and if it matches,, Keep reading

Switch is a 3 position rocker, USE/normal/STORE spring return to center

When you operate it you hear a CLUNK from elsewhere in the RV (You need to find that spot).

IF you hear the CLUNK and systems come live and then when you relase it the system die (no clunk) then the clunker is bad.

If you hear a 2nd clunk, the switch is suspect

If the system is an Intelletec Battery Control system then in the control box are two sets of test points.

I used a test light, Hook the clip to the Tab and touch the tip to the matching pad, Have someone operate the switch, LIGHT should come on either way... ONLY when pressing the switch.

(NO light= try other pair of tab/pad)

If the light blinks on release switch is bad

if the light does not blink Solenoid is bad.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here is a schematic I drew of how Winnebago wires the battery disconnect switch. The solenoid is a latching relay that does not require power to retain it's position after it switches. There should be no voltage on the LH and LG terminals unless the switch is pushed to ON or OFF.
It should only take a tech a few minutes to determine why it isn't working properly.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the help. Picked it up this afternoon. Replaced part # 1-l17465---Battery Relay Disconnect.

In all fairness to the RV folks--I did not have a appointment I just dropped it off. 30 Dec. They said it would be ready on the 6 Jan. Even with the holidays and short staff it was done as promised.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #8

sounds like you got a good dealer
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote