Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I tried to use a small 1.5 amp battery maintainer on my chassis batteries but it would not leave the 'trouble' mode. Instructions said to disconnect the batteries and charge them individually....really don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.

I ran the single jumper from the (+) on coach batteries to (+) on one of the chassis batteries for an overnight charge. However, I'm not sure that is wise as a routine.

So, I hear about a device called Echo-Charge. They claim it will safely charge/maintain your chassis batteries. Anyone use this gizmo? It's made by Xantrex.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I tried to use a small 1.5 amp battery maintainer on my chassis batteries but it would not leave the 'trouble' mode. Instructions said to disconnect the batteries and charge them individually....really don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.

I ran the single jumper from the (+) on coach batteries to (+) on one of the chassis batteries for an overnight charge. However, I'm not sure that is wise as a routine.

So, I hear about a device called Echo-Charge. They claim it will safely charge/maintain your chassis batteries. Anyone use this gizmo? It's made by Xantrex.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

I use a Battery-Minder on a single battery as so far I am very pleased with the results.

Just a couple of weeks ago my motorhome exhibited a hesitant start for a brief second but since then the Battery-Minder has kept the engine battery at the 13.1 volt range and the engine presently fires up with enthusiasm.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I use a BatteryMinder to charge both my chassis batteries and when I am in storage I use another Batteryminder to charge all 3 coach batteries....Both maintain at 13.1 volts and both battery banks are always fully charged....good luck Rkl
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

RKL:

Just to clarify....does the BatteryMinder charge both your chassis batteries simulanteously?
Old 02-23-2005, 06:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I'm using an Echo~Charge on my Meridian and it works very well. I got it for $135 at a Marine supplies store.
'04 Meridian, 34H
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Weston, TX
Old 02-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
RKL:

Just to clarify....does the BatteryMinder charge both your chassis batteries simulanteously? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the BatteryMinder can charge up to 4 batteries at one time. I've used one on my Suncruiser to charge all 4 coach batteries simultaneously and I run one now on my Bus to charge both chassis batteries simultaneously. I hard wired mine into the system on the Bus. I installed a dedicated outlet in my inverter compartment that is connected to shore power only (no inverter). I also wired up a relay (120 volt coil/12 volt contacts) to disconnect the DC side of the BatteryMinder when not on shore power (if you store it without shore power the BatteryMinder will place a slight draw on the batteries unless you disconnect the 12 volt side) so it's all automatic now.

The pulse mode BatteryMinder also keeps your batteries desulfated, which is another benefit.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Smiranger, just a guess, your batteries were far from being fully charged. When that happens the float or trickle charger doesn't seem to do the job. I put my new charger on (2-6-10 amps) and set it to 2 amps. The chassis batteries were around 12.4V. The charger said it could NOT do a proper job. The second time I set it to 10 amps and it started there and worked its way down to 2 amps and then indicated "full" followed by "float" - so you might put it on trickle only after it is fully charged.

Just a hunch.

Don

Sorry, I left out the NOT. Just noticed it.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Don:

I do believe the batteries were down to about 12.2 V so that could very well be the case. I have ordered the Battery Minder based on the recommendations in the other posts...will use that trickle charger on the golf car.

Thanks.