Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dumb questions about radio's and batteries

'94 Adventurer...

Was hoping someone could clarify how the stereo's are powered when we're plugged in to shore power.

Am I still running battery 12V power then? If so, is the inside/cab stereo connected to the engine battery and the outside entertainment center stereo connected to the two house batteries?

OR...do I have it all wrong and when we are plugged in the stereos are running off the campground's 30/50 Amp power?

Just to make it more confusing, my coach has a stereo-battery switch which allows the stereo (not sure if that just refers to the cab or both stereos) to run off the house batteries instead of the engine battery but I'm thinking that is only for use when boondocking and not connected to shore power.

HELP!!!
oneydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You should use the house batteries to power the stereo when plugged in. That way the converter is keeping the batteries fully charged.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. Should I take it then that the stereos (both locations) ALWAYS run on the 12V battery power then? Even when plugged in at a pedestal when camping?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneydee View Post
'94 Adventurer...

Was hoping someone could clarify how the stereo's are powered when we're plugged in to shore power.

Am I still running battery 12V power then? If so, is the inside/cab stereo connected to the engine battery and the outside entertainment center stereo connected to the two house batteries?

OR...do I have it all wrong and when we are plugged in the stereos are running off the campground's 30/50 Amp power?

Just to make it more confusing, my coach has a stereo-battery switch which allows the stereo (not sure if that just refers to the cab or both stereos) to run off the house batteries instead of the engine battery but I'm thinking that is only for use when boondocking and not connected to shore power.

HELP!!!
It would help to know what your RV is. But, the radio runs off of 12VDC ONLY. It might be provided by the house battery, the engine battery or the converter. When on shore power, the converter is charging the house batt. (supposedly). On my Itasca, the radio can be switched from house to engine. So that adds another variable.

In short, I haven't provided an answer. Need more info. Or perhaps you can determine what's up in your rig from what I provided.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
It would help to know what your RV is. But, the radio runs off of 12VDC ONLY. It might be provided by the house battery, the engine battery or the converter. When on shore power, the converter is charging the house batt. (supposedly). On my Itasca, the radio can be switched from house to engine. So that adds another variable.

In short, I haven't provided an answer. Need more info. Or perhaps you can determine what's up in your rig from what I provided.
'94 Winnebago Adventurer 32RQ
Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

For GM, Ford or Oskosh (DP) based unit:

Dash Radio - Battery selection (chassis or House) based on Radio Power switch on upper left side of dash. Fuses for each path are under the dash.

Entertainment center - Always on House battery system. Source is ACC1 breaker on AC/DC power center panel.

When on shore power, the converter (in the AC/DC power center) is powering all loads attached to the House battery system.

While there typically some sort of provision for charging the house batteries while driving (isolator), I did not see it in the diagrams. That does not mean one is not there.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
For GM, Ford or Oskosh (DP) based unit:

Dash Radio - Battery selection (chassis or House) based on Radio Power switch on upper left side of dash. Fuses for each path are under the dash.

Entertainment center - Always on House battery system. Source is ACC1 breaker on AC/DC power center panel.

When on shore power, the converter (in the AC/DC power center) is powering all loads attached to the House battery system.

While there typically some sort of provision for charging the house batteries while driving (isolator), I did not see it in the diagrams. That does not mean one is not there.

Dave

Thank you Dave! This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Tags
batteries