Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2006 Itasca Sunova. It's the starter model for WI's class A series but it serves us well (feels like a luxury coach after moving up from our 1981 23' Class C).

One thing that I would like to address is the dismal (to me) headlights. I'm sure that my night vision has gotten worse but regular beams on this RV feel like I could leave the lights off and have the same result. And yes, I avoid driving at night as much as possible but sometimes it's necessary.

Has anyone changed to the improved bulbs (e.g. Slyvania ) in the OEM headlamp assemblies or added driving/fog lamps (external) ?
waiting2retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2006 Itasca Sunova. It's the starter model for WI's class A series but it serves us well (feels like a luxury coach after moving up from our 1981 23' Class C).

One thing that I would like to address is the dismal (to me) headlights. I'm sure that my night vision has gotten worse but regular beams on this RV feel like I could leave the lights off and have the same result. And yes, I avoid driving at night as much as possible but sometimes it's necessary.

Has anyone changed to the improved bulbs (e.g. Slyvania ) in the OEM headlamp assemblies or added driving/fog lamps (external) ?
waiting2retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

have you checked the "aim" of your lights?

depending on how your rig is loaded the aim may not be on the roadway ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
You may want to check out this link... Stern Lighting
Old 04-08-2008, 03:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have the same problem with a 2001 Itasca 33V. I have had mine adjusted and it did no good. If I use all 4 headlights, visibility is fair to good at night. Lower beams are worthless, almost like they are not on. Strangely enough no one ever flashes me when I have all four on. I don't drive at night because of his problem.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I replaced mine with the Sylvanias and had a marginal improvement. Stern of Stern Lighting is dismissive of the Sylvanias.

The aim was way the heck off and that made another marginal improvement.

They still suck. I avoid driving at night.

I was shopping for some 'old style' fog lights and have not been able to find them. They used to shine light down (they had to be installed 'right side up') and light up the road but the new ones all shoot a narrow beam (and can be installed either way) vertical beam that lights up a small area, not the road.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mine improve dramaticly after I had them re-aimed by the dealer. Before that I really was afraid to drive after dark!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Seems to be typical of most motorhome headlights for some reason...

My high beams are great, but low beam poor at best even now.

When new, if driving in down at night I rarely could tell that my headlights were on at all. I decided to have the aim checked. A dealer service dept told me they were "right on." Since they showed me at the same time how incompetent they were in other areas, I didn't believe them. I then took it to a truck service place and they found the lights were "way off, high and to the right." Re-aiming did help some, but I wanted them to be better.

After a good bit of research, ("interesting" to note that the headlight buckets Winnebago says are on my coach are nowhere near what is actually on it...) I ended up putting HIR bulbs in the low beams. That helped some also. They still are barely adequate.

I also looked into swapping out my "fog" lights for driving lights, but since the law states that driving lights can only be used in conjunction with high beams (which is when I don't need them), I decided that would do me no good.

I recommend aiming before changing bulbs. When you are sure they are properly aimed, then look at bulbs. But be careful with bulbs, as some put out enough heat to melt your headlight buckets and/or wiring.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

This has been brought up before.

One thing is in your car or truck you are sitting more level withe head lights.

In a class A. You are looking down into the light at a angle. So the lights do not seam as bright.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Re-aim the headlights. Mine were off, and re-aiming made a difference.

I also added driving lights that I bought at Wally World. For the $25 I spent, they did make a big difference.
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I also added driving lights that I bought at Wally World. For the $25 I spent, they did make a big difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which ones did you get? I have been looking at them and they seem to be either fog lights or "off-road" or 'no oncoming traffic' only.

How did you aim them? Do you get a lot of high-beam flashes when you use them?

Thanks,
Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
This has been brought up before.

One thing is in your car or truck you are sitting more level withe head lights.

In a class A. You are looking down into the light at a angle. So the lights do not seam as bright. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. The bulbs and lamp assemblies are usually the same DOT approved assemblies that are in our everyday cars, SUV's and Pickup's. I have been told that some of the more recent Winnies even use Ford Torus headlamp assemblies. My coach uses a standard 4 bulb rectangular sealed beam system. They still light up the same amount of roadway it is just the perspective from 6 feet off the ground that makes it seem so different.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I also had to re-aim my lights...that made a drastic improvement. I don't know if I aimed them too high (I haven't gotten any angry flashes from head-on traffic) but they work much better now. I was also hesitant to drive at night but now I don't mind. Although I'd still much rather be hooked up with a cold one in my hand, if you know what I mean if it's time to turn on the lights.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I bought the Pilot PL-1055C driving light. I bought mine at Wal-Mart, but saw them the other day at Autozone too.

They are 55W, and include a switchand all the neeccsary wire and hardware. Very easy to install, and are a nice addition.

I do not get flashed, as I was careful to aim them low to fill in the low areas that the high mounted headlights don't illuminate. Together, the OEM headlights are tolerable...

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...pl-1055c_w.jpg
Old 04-09-2008, 01:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was careful to aim them low to fill in the low areas that the high mounted headlights don't illuminate. Together, the OEM headlights are tolerable </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I believe 4 headlights (two low beam, and two driving lights) are illegal in most or all states. As I recall, additional driving lights can be illuminated only when high beams are on. At least, that's the info I came up when I researched driving lights to help my low beams.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I certainly don't advocate driving with all six lights on at the same time.

Typically, driving lights are on a cut off circuit so when you activate the high beams the driving lights turn off. While I don't want to turn this into a debate about what is legal and what is illegal in states in which I don't reside, but may drive, I would submit that this is a common sense safety issue, and that it is likely not illegal in most states to drive with both low beams and driving lights.

There are a lot of coaches that come with OEM driving lights. It would be interesting to see how they are configured. Every vehicle I've ever owned that came factory equipped with driving lights were designed to operate only in the low beam mode. When the high beam were enabled, the driving lights were disabled.