Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dreaded Dimensions inverter

So after waiting 3 weeks for an inverter to come from Dimensions to replace my 12x203B1T .......which is no longer made, the repair guy tells me they have sent the wrong one......and the correct one is $4000 ......
Can anyone confirm that if I buy a Magnum S2012, and controller, that the Dimensions and Magnum use the same type control cable, so he won't have to run another one ?
Also are there any other wiring issues that I should be aware of ?
Thanks in advance
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
Dimensions and Magnum use the same type control cable, so he won't have to run another one ?
Thanks in advance
Dimensions uses an 8 wire cable where Magnum uses a 4. We usually cut the ends off and replace them with smaller ones instead of pulling new cable.
InverterServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info, as I'm a total novice, could you elaborate, on what type of connectors, and where to get them.
Also, will the inverter be more or less a straight swap, ie the dimensions has a built in transfer switch, does the magnum.
I am thinking if the repair guy doesn't get this sorted soon (3 weeks on batteries and counting) I'll be forced to do it myself, so any help is much appreciated
Sorry the original converter was designated 12X20B3R1T
Thanks again !
Old 07-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It's not necessarily a straight swap. Your battery cables currently have no ends on them so they will need to have ends put on them in order to be bolted to the magnum or any other inverter. Yours are crimped down on by the inverter. The phone cable ends are available from radio shack or like place you will need the 4x6. You will also have to have a phone cable crimper to change these. At least after the headache is over you will have an inverter that is able to be repaired by tons of service centers across the US.

Good Luck
InverterServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again............I appreciate the info !
Old 07-15-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I just did the Dimensions 2K to Magnum MS2012 swap last year. You don't have to buy connectors or crimper tool. Just use the cable that comes with the Magnum and cut off 6 in off each end and splice into the existing Dimensions cable.

Also, if you take apart the Dim 2K that's coming out, you can remove the two large 12 v cable terminals to connect to the Magnum.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again............good points !
Old 07-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I just did the Dimensions 2K to Magnum MS2012 swap last year. You don't have to buy connectors or crimper tool. Just use the cable that comes with the Magnum and cut off 6 in off each end and splice into the existing Dimensions cable.

Also, if you take apart the Dim 2K that's coming out, you can remove the two large 12 v cable terminals to connect to the Magnum.

Good luck,
Bill
Hey Bill,
How is ya?
I didn't know you has also switched the Dimensions to the Magnum too. I did ours before the GNR in Forest City IA last year. Our Dimensions lost the charging aspect so, it had to either be rebuilt or, sh..canned. So, the DW, bless her little heart, was cruising around on Craigs list and just happened to find a 6 month old Magnum 2012ME. Yeah, I know, it's the modified sign wave but, what the heck, that's what I had in the coach in the first place.

The seller was selling this 6 month old Magnum 'cause he had to get a full sign wave unit 'cause of his wifes medical equipment. So, he wanted $750 for the unit. We cruised on down to take a look at it and, offered him $600 cash and, he took it. I had to make a couple of modified "MacGuyver" brackets to mount the Magnum in the exact same position as the Dimensions but, that was fun.

As for the big cables, heck, I can't remember if I put lugs on them or just inserted them in to the spots on the Magnum, I'll have to go out and see. Now, as for the remote, that was a tiny night mare. I had no knowledge of how to mess around with changing those phone cable ends and all that so, me and the wife just ran a new wire with the proper ends already on it. I had to pull up some small molding in the bathroom and, then drill the wall below our washer/dryer and, into the compartment where the Magnum lives.

It wasn't all too bad to do it but, I'd sure like to have had the know-how to just change the ends, like the other gent said could and should be done. Take a look.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

The reason I took out the Dimensions was a concern about it putting a equalize charge into my $1100 new AGM batteries every 5 times I plug into a campsite. The AGM's may never need an equalizing charge, and if they do I can manually put the Magnum charger in equalize. Plus the Samsung refer is more efficient on pure sine when we're dry camping.

Scott, were doing ok but the nasty weather keeps following us....in the past 3 days 2 fierce thunderstorms passed thru Kentucky. The Corvette plant tour in Bowling Green is fantastic. The new 2016 Vette has only been in production for 3 weeks and looks really sweet.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Maybe a dumb question, but has anyone used the RJ52 to RJ11 adapters that are available ?

Tags
inverter