Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Drat, wrong again_

I was under the impression the house battery disconnect switch cut power to everything in the house. Not so for my coach. The disconnect switch does not cut power to the inverter, it must be shut off with its own switch.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

That's good Info Ray. I'll check that out tomorrow. It kind of makes sense. My rig has a residential fridge and it runs on the inverter. You must be from Indiana judging from your user name. I was raised in Batesville. Left 50 years ago. Have lots of family there.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Just got a Solei a couple weeks ago. Refrig runs on ground power and generator only. Is there an inverter switch that I am overlooking?
101stveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stveteran View Post
Just got a Solei a couple weeks ago. Refrig runs on ground power and generator only. Is there an inverter switch that I am overlooking?
went out to the MH this morning to check the disconnect switch. it was in the on position so i got to wondering what in fact the inverter powers. checked outlets with a meter and tried refrig and micro. then got to thinking maybe i am missing something. turns out they hid a control right out in the open on the bottom of the slide control panel. have had the unit for a couple weeks and have never wondered what the control does. turned it on and now have power to tv, outlets, micro and refrig. think i need to do a whole lot of reading in the books they gave me.
101stveteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

That is fairly common, since inverters are major amp suckers they use short fat cables to connect to the battery bypassing the discounect which is often much farther away with far skinnier cables.

Will you take my word for it that this is really a very good idea? (It is) or do you want a short course in electronics and physics. (took the longer course myself, have the wallpaper to prove it).
Old 10-31-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
That is fairly common, since inverters are major amp suckers they use short fat cables to connect to the battery bypassing the discounect which is often much farther away with far skinnier cables.

Will you take my word for it that this is really a very good idea? (It is) or do you want a short course in electronics and physics. (took the longer course myself, have the wallpaper to prove it).
Yes I believe you, and agree. I was completely surprised though. When I bought the MH, and just a few days ago, an RV technician told me the disconnect switch disconnected everything from coach/house battery bank. I showed the tech. otherwise; he was very surprised too.
It is not the original inverter/charger. The original 2,000W was replaced with the present 3,000W Heart/Intellitec inverter/charger.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I was under the impression the house battery disconnect switch cut power to everything in the house. Not so for my coach. The disconnect switch does not cut power to the inverter, it must be shut off with its own switch.

That is the way my 2004 Journey is. I have to turn off the inverter to keep batteries from draining during storage.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

LOL, it takes a year to figure out all these systems. I'm half way there...
jwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodie View Post
LOL, it takes a year to figure out all these systems. I'm half way there...
I'm at 18 months, still have a bunch to learn.I'm beginning to believe it's somewhat like life, you never learn everything. I'm still accumulating pdf's for all the chassis components, have the coach stuff; putting everything on my MSN cloud so it's accessible from anywhere as long as DW has her Zoom tablet or I have my laptop. Now I have the ability to learn more than I can remember.