Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dome to Dish

We replaced our in-motion King Dome with an automatic HD dish and a HD receiver for the main TV. All went well and we are very pleased with the multi-satellite capability and the HD quality -- one problem that I've encountered is the outside TV. The satellite connectivity to the outside TV -- since this TV was tied to the main TV for the signal, the new HD box does not appear to have a connection for the coax to the external TV. Hopefully our forum gurus on this subject can suggest a fix? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Three options come to mind.

1. Use to composite outs on the sat receiver to feed a RF converter to the coax. It won't be HD, but it will still be a good picture.

2. Use an HDMI splitter to feed both TV's.

3. Use the component outs to feed the main TV which is probably close to the receiver, and HDMI to feed the outside TV.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Three options come to mind.

1. Use to composite outs on the sat receiver to feed a RF converter to the coax. It won't be HD, but it will still be a good picture.
This is what I do and the picture is very nice...these converters are available at Walmart and other "fine" electronic places... about $15-$30...example HERE
Old 10-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

You didn't mention if you have Dish or DirectTV and what model HD receiver.

I have a Dish DVR 622 receiver. It has a coax input specifically for an external antenna. Not only will it scan for the channels, it has a signal strength meter and will download the TV guide for those channels and allow me to record off of the locals.
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the responses -- we have DTV and based on the feedback, I'll be going to WalMart in search of a converter. Not that we watch TV outside that much, but its nice to have the DTV music channels to listen to.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

IF y ou have composit out (Red/White/yellow) on the receiver Radio Shack, Best Buys And most other "TV" places sell a box called a MODULATOR.

Takes Right/Left audio + Video in and sends RF=3 or RF-4 Out (Channel 3 or 4 NTSC composit video) I do not know how well it handles HD, but if you letter box it it will work.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

ChiefJohn - why did you replace your King Dome In-Motion? I have been considering upgrading my older King Dome to a new King Dome In-Motion.

Thanks, Tom
tllapointe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

With DirecTV, domes can't get HD, so an open face dish like the Trav'ler makes sense. There are advantages for Dish subscribers too, like the ability to feed multiple receivers (or tuners) and see all satellites at once. A dish also has a larger reflector than the one inside a dome, so it will get a stronger signal and be less prone to rain fade.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

new HD Winegard antenna

we just upgraded our antenna this week..removed the old KVH dome, installed the new Winegard SK1000 (DISH Network using a 622 receiver and 612 reciever...bought winwgard from camping world.....$1079 (got an addtional 10% off using the tell a family member about camping world that was sent out about 2 weeks ago)
installed in about 5 hrs....overall pretty easy job.....used the exisitng 2 coax cables...

upgraded all 3 TVs to HD....32" up front, 27" in the bedroom, 32" in the outside staorgae comapartment.....everything in on HDMI and working great......

mike wy
2004 Mountain aire 3778
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	095.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	15453   Click image for larger version

Name:	101.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	15454  

Click image for larger version

Name:	678.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	15455   Click image for larger version

Name:	676.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	15456  

Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Mikewy, great set up.

We don't have satellite at home (Maine) but winter in the south for 4 months. So we are considering the Dish "Pay-as-you-go" program for our RV. Just turn it on and pay for just the months we use it.

I have read that Dish uses two sets of satellites and uses 61, 72, & 77 satellites in the east along with 110, 119, 129 in the west. I could not see where the Winegard SK1000 could get signals automatically from the eastern satellites. Has anyone heard of this being a problem?

Thanks, Tom
tllapointe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

eastern acr info

thread from winegard in ref to eastern arc sats.....sounds like you can still get all DISH standard sats throughout the US....110,119, and 129 (sounds like it hard to find sat 129 since its lower (about 15 degrees)

Plans for Dish Network Eastern Arc Trav'ler?

by ShapeShifter » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:57 am
I hear from the rumor mill that Dish Network is migrating 16 more markets (including mine) to their Eastern Arc (61.5, 27.2, 77) constellation. This increases the number of people who will be using the newer style 1000.4 dish. This should also increase the number of people who will want a 1000.4 compatible rooftop Trav'ler dish on their RV (like me! )

Now that there will be an increased market, are there any plans to make a Dish 1000.4 compatible Trav'ler? If so, is there any chance that there will be an upgrade path (an upgrade kit to replace the reflector and LNB) for existing SK-1000 owners?

I just ordered an SK-1000, and it hasn't even arrived yet. Is there any hope that some day I will be able to make full use of it after my local market makes the migration? If there are no plans, please re-consider the market once the newest migrations are made.

ShapeShifter Posts: 5 Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:37 pm Top
Re: Plans for Dish Network Eastern Arc Trav'ler?

by Winegard-JHoff » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:01 pm
Obviously this is something that we keep an eye on pretty closely. The main problem with a 1000.4 TRAV'LER is that it would only work in half of the country (the eastern arc signals are NOT available in the western half of the US). With the current SK-1000 (viewing 110, 119, 129), it is available nationwide, as eastern arc subscribers can view the western arc satellites.

And while it is true that with the western arc setup you'll be missing your local channels, your locals are being broadcast on "spot beams" and are only available when you are in your home market (DMA). When in your home market, you can put the TRAV'LER on Manual Mode and point at 1 (only 1 at a time) of the eastern arc satellites for your locals.

Winegard-JHoff Posts: 12 Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:19 pm Top

Re: Plans for Dish Network Eastern Arc Trav'ler?

by ShapeShifter » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:59 pm
Thank you for your considered response, it's appreciated. I'm not surprised by your response, still I'm encouraged by your "watching it closely" comment.

I understand what you're saying. While it's true that my locals are spot-beamed, I'm the type of traveler that is gone almost every weekend, yet tends to spend 80% of my time within my spot beam. (Yes, I realize that's not typical, and that there are many different styles of travellers.) So I could make use of such a dish to get my locals, yet I understand that it won't be as important to others.

Also, while it's true that Eastern Arc users can still get a majority of their channels on a Western Arc dish (which is the reason I ordered the SK-1000 in the first place) there are some areas in the far northeast (New England) and in the far southern tips of Florida and Texas where reception of 129 is problematical because it's so low on the horizon. (Which was one reason for setting up an Eastern Arc in the first place.) So it's not necessarily safe to assume that the SK-1000 will be a final solution for all users in all places.

Finally, an Eastern Arc version could be appealing to those Eastern Arc users who move their receiver between their house and RV, and don't want to have to perform a check switch operation every time they move it. (Yes, I admit I'm clutching at straws here. )

I guess these last few comments are just to give some justifications to keep revisiting the marketing analysis from time to time. I understand the development and distribution expenses involved in coming out with a new product variation that would enjoy a limited market, especially when there is a viable alternative for most of the potential customers. Still, I'm encouranged by your attitude, and will check your product line from time to time to see if there are any new product announcements.

Thanks for your response! (This forum need a thumbs-up smiley!)