Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Does this battery look normal?

Hi, Folks,

I've had some water intrusion and electrical weirdness in my '20 Winnebago Sunstar, so I decided to check-out the batteries. Below is a picture of the chassis battery. Does it look normal? Doesn't it look like some liquid has been trying to leak out from underneath the plastic caps?

Getting pretty exasperated with this RV... It's less than 2 months old, has only 2,000 miles on it, and it's already been back to the dealer for warranty service twice!

All input appreciated!

JC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3808b.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	174381  
JCH200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Looks like it might have been overfilled.
When it’s real hot outside a battery will vent while being charged. If it’s a deep cell with water fills it should be filled to the top of the battery only. Overfill will vent out when charging.
I check my deep cells every month and fill with distilled water only.
You can always to a load test to see if it’s good. Load test units are cheap on Amazon.
I have one for my bass boat. My RV doesn’t have water filled deep cells.
My old RV did and I load tested it every spring to make sure it was in good condition.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

What I see is pretty much normal and batteries do need attention to last the longest. Part of having an RV is extra work! Many new folks are going to be really amazed at the work they have bought into doing. As batteries are used and charged, fumes are produced and those fumes tend to collect around the vents like this.
This battery will last better if it is cleaned and maintained correctly by first wiping off any debris like dust and scum which has collected, then pulling the caps and checking the fluid levels. There is a ring down in side each cell which makes a "dimple" in the water as it reaches the correct level and that should be checked once in a while depending on how it is being used and charged. A wipedown with a strong soda solution to neutralize the battery acid does a lot to stop the acid creep from reaching metal things where they will cause corrosion.
Many new folks are being sold on the folly of just driving off into the wilderness to hide from the virus but they are not told that it takes work!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH200 View Post
Getting pretty exasperated with this RV... It's less than 2 months old, has only 2,000 miles on it, and it's already been back to the dealer for warranty service twice!
I’d suggest you would be happier if you did your best to handle as many problems as possible without any dealer intervention.

Likewise, managing expectations is a key to being happy with your RV.

It’s very common to have multiple issues, sometimes far too many problems the first year of RV ownership. Most of us learn quickly that the dealer doesn’t do a good job at repairs and takes far to long to do so, as well.

For serious problems a trip to the factory service center in Iowa is the best option. I realize that it’s a long way from Florida, it was a long way fro South Texas for us as well. We made a month long trip of it and stayed in some great places along the way. The factory put a couple of teams on our list of issues and had us on our way in a day and a half.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Here is a bit of experience
1999 I got a Storm 30H ( the cheapest class A) $49,000, my first motorhome, my list of repairs was about 16 items, mostly fit and finish. My first trip the heat shield for the exhaust fell off. That was interesting. No slide outs, one AC, one TV.
I added big foot jacks as soon as I bought it, those were the best jacks I ever had.
All got fixed and used that RV quite a bit over the 5 yrs I owned it.

Oh, once the Fleetwood dealer employee ( un-named ) backed my Storm into a fence and poked a nice hole in it. They I had to fight to get them to fix it. He did right in front of my eyes. I couldn’t believe it.

2004 ordered a Southwind 32VS, the list was less, about 10 fit and finish items, the awning broke first time out, they replaced it. That was it. Had 3 great yrs, I should have kept it. They built it here in Pennsylvania. Too bad it closed with the 2007 crash.

2007 bought a new Ellipse 40FD, it was flawless. Absolutely, just one slide lock switch needed to be replaced. That’s it. 13 great yrs with it.

2020 bought new Horizon, I have about 26 fit and finish items in this one, I’ll get them addressed at the end of my RV season, nothing big, drawers, doors, latches. and the ground effects lights on the passenger side don’t work, heck, I didn’t even want it but it came with the MH.

There is always something, but I recommend keep on top of it all. Something breaks or gets loose, I fix it right away. Keep the list short.

When it comes to dealers fixing things. It all depends on the dealer.
Meyer's RV in upstate NY did all my warranty work for my Fleetwood and I didn’t buy from them, but I did buy my Ellipse from them.
They always took good care of me, once Camping World bought them the good work was over. That’s ok, Camping World left and Meyer's is back in business now in the same building. They are top notch, I’m lucky.
I wish Winnie would make that Bath Meyers a official repair shop. It was back before 2007.
I didn’t buy my Horizon from them but I will use them after the warranty is up.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #6
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

You might have overcharged and "boiled" the battery. Lead acid are a pain to maintain. At least get AGM batteries (maintenance free) or lithium if you can justify or afford them. AGMs should not leak fluids and caustic gasses which can and will rot your battery well and everything inside.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I’d suggest you would be happier if you did your best to handle as many problems as possible without any dealer intervention.

Likewise, managing expectations is a key to being happy with your RV.

It’s very common to have multiple issues, sometimes far too many problems the first year of RV ownership. Most of us learn quickly that the dealer doesn’t do a good job at repairs and takes far to long to do so, as well.

For serious problems a trip to the factory service center in Iowa is the best option. I realize that it’s a long way from Florida, it was a long way fro South Texas for us as well. We made a month long trip of it and stayed in some great places along the way. The factory put a couple of teams on our list of issues and had us on our way in a day and a half.
He’s an expert on the advice he has given. If I would have had as many problems with my new coach as he did, I would have given up and sold it. He stuck with it and his coach has been almost trouble free after many months of aggravation.
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Easier said than done. Not everyone is mechanical. For some people if the toilet paper roll was on backwards they wouldn't be able to wipe!
Old 08-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Dealer repair and maintenance

Most dealer shops will disappoint you, frustrate you, and overcharge you. Moreover, they will frequently fail to solve your problem, or make things worse. Try to learn to fix items yourself, especially after your warranty period. Ask around and try to find a local auto or truck shop that will do your repairs. I take care of as many of my problems as I can, but a local shop near me does most of my chassis, drive train, and engine work. I was fortunate to find a shop owner who is also an avid RVer and motorhome owner. I'm sure he has saved me thousands over the past few years.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

When adding water to batteries, always make sure they are fully charged to prevent overflow while charging.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
<clip>
<clip>
Not to sound too sarcastic, but I wonder if the dealers do patch-up jobs to get you through the warranty period, basically to string you along so they can sock it to you (and get top dollar for their labor charges) to do the work properly after the warranty has expired.

I had an issue with my dump valves sticking, and the dealer's continual response was to lubricate the stems (which they then told me Winnebago would not reimburse them for - it was considered maintenance). When I finally contacted Winnebago about this (near the end of the warranty period) they informed me the proper solution was valve replacement. I'll get around to writing up this fiasco in the not-too-distant future. But just so you know, it has finally been satisfactorily resolved, thanks to the factory and no thanks to the dealer.

Tags
battery