Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Does shore power charge my chassis battery?

We have a 2012 Sightseer. The chassis battery does not appear to be getting charged when we are connected to shore power. Does anyone know if this model is supposed to get all batteries charged when connected to shore power?
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My 01 Chieftain didn't as well. It must be a Winnebago thing. My Bounder charged both.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Fairly easy to tell with a voltmeter. Disconnect from Shore Power and measure at the battery(ies), you should get around 12.0 to 12.5 depending on the age/quality/state of charge. Plug into Shore and if you measure anything above 13 volts, they are charging somehow.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There are probably more total units that do not charge the engine battery off the house battery then do it. It seems to be a feature of higher end units with a somewhat flexible crossover point as to what constitutes "higher end".
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

With the exception of Class A Diesels, I believe Winnebagos of your vintage do not charge the chassis battery when on shore power. The solution is to divert some of the charge going to the house batteries to the chassis batteries. You need a device known as a Trik-L-Start that will perform that function. I installed one on my 08 Cambria and it solved the problem. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

MrsChilerick, No, on your 2012 Sightseer the chassis battery is only charged with the engine alternator. Below is the link to the Chassis Electrical Box Assembly wiring diagram. On sheet 2 you will see there is a standard solenoid setting between the two disconnect relays . This is the battery isolation relay and only closes when the engine is running or the battery boost switch is pushed.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_177896.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much, now I know why I it's acting the way it is and I can find the right solution.
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

MrsChilerick Like bobmac mentioned I have used the Trik-L-Start before and it works great.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here is some Trik-L-Start info

Trik-L-Start

Winnebago Trik-L-Start Tip Sheet
Written for diesel, but applies to gas as well
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
We have a 2012 Sightseer. The chassis battery does not appear to be getting charged when we are connected to shore power. Does anyone know if this model is supposed to get all batteries charged when connected to shore power?
MrsChilerick,
Winne and itasca had a series of issues with chassis batteries going dead from folks putting their coaches in storage for a few months. This was primarily prior to the years '05-'06. And, it was mostly in the D/P series coaches. So, in late '05 and early '06, they started installing what has been mentioned. It's called the Trik-L-Start. I don't have a clue if and when, they might have installed them in gas coaches too and, if so, when?

It's not a battery charger. It's a tiny, black box, about the size of a pack of cigs. It connects between the chassis batteries and the house batteries and quite often, is linked to the "battery boost solenoid". It's job is to observe the voltage difference between the two battery banks. If is sees .5VDC difference between the two, it steps in to action. And it does this by simply siphoning off, no more than 5 amps, of the house battery charging current, and send it to the chassis batteries.

It's a very simple system to install and does a bang-up job of keeping chassis batteries topped off, while on shore power. You can purchase these Trik-L-Start units, for about $39-$45, depending on where you get it. The install and wiring, couldn't be any simpler. From that point on, your chassis batteries will be taken care of, each and every time you plug into shore power.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis, power, shore power