Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
So I'm getting ready to swap out my inverter.

Found that the connection between my inverter and the inverter's remote panel has what I would guess is a 12-volt connection as shown below. Basically, the 6 pin from the inverter comes to this device, then is connected via a 4 pin to the panel that is mounted inside the motorhome. I did NOT pull back the shrink wrap and I cannot see where that red wire goes but have to believe it's what disconnects my inverter with the battery switch off.
I think you have different wiring setup for your Xantrex? Does your remote show battery voltage etc? That may be what that is.

My issue is simple to describe but very complex to understand why without a drawing.

When I cut the Coach Battery Switch OFF, 30 minutes later the source input to the converter is SHUTDOWN. I need to know ...

1. Where the Battery Disconnect Switch is wired to and how does that wiring eventually get to the Inverter?
2. What causes the 30-40 min delay to SHUTDOWN power to Inverter?

What new Inverter are you going with?

Just so you know, my Magnum Inverter's remote is a simple momentary toggle switch with green LED, however; my AGS EC-30 allows me to see and monitor voltage on House and Chassis batteries.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I'm going to Progressive Dynamics pd1610. Agreed, mine does show a few variables and I'll have to run a new "telephone" style wire to the new panel. I know that from wiring in the past I have to snake it under the shower.

I really wanted to go 2k, but that location being small and needing to rewire 10 or so feet with expensive wire and likely pull in some plugs in the kitchen area made me just to upgrade the current power. I've done toast in the outside kitchen on 1k but a quick Keurig single-serve is beyond it's capability - BUT I do like me a nice percolated on the stove coffee.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'm going to Progressive Dynamics pd1610. Agreed, mine does show a few variables and I'll have to run a new "telephone" style wire to the new panel. I know that from wiring in the past I have to snake it under the shower.

I really wanted to go 2k, but that location being small and needing to rewire 10 or so feet with expensive wire and likely pull in some plugs in the kitchen area made me just to upgrade the current power. I've done toast in the outside kitchen on 1k but a quick Keurig single-serve is beyond it's capability - BUT I do like me a nice percolated on the stove coffee.
I think Progressive Dynamics is solid choice. They made our converter. This morning Magnum Energy said we could replace our 1k unit with their 2k unit and the wiring is the same. There is a 150 amp fuse now, I guess that could be replaced with 300 amp fuse or something in between. But we don't have any need to go to 2k right now. Microwave is only thing we can't run, and we just start the generator if we don't have short power. It is not a big deal at all. We have a Keurig in the house, but my wife does not bother with it on the road. I don't drink coffee because it makes the beer taste bad
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-03-2021, 06:16 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Update on trying to accelerate Inverter cutoff

I attempted to repeat the test running all 3 TVs, both Refrigerators and anything else that was plugged into the Inverter's Circuits.

However, what I learned is that with House Battery Switch OFF, the inside Norcold Fridge would NOT start After some thought it made sense because I believe that unit also requires 12vDC to operate, since House Battery was OFF, there was no way to get the 120volt load on the inverter.

So I ran with every thing else and was only able to get about 250 watts. I did plug in a wet and vacuum but it pulled too much and the inverter shut itself down and showed error. I reset and just allowed to run Inverter with what was in the coach, and 30 minutes later the Inverter and the Ant / Cable LED went off.

It sure acts as if whatever it is on some type of time delay?

Surely someone's coach does this? This was a brand new coach with about 600 miles when I bought it, so whatever it is, it is factory wired!!!
Old 05-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

dkoldman - curious, our inverter does not power the inside fridge - do you rewire that circuit? If you said before sorry I missed it.

I think you said it doesn't take much and I might try doing same. I did add electric to the water heater and pulled off that circuit if I recall knowing it would never take the 15 amp it was on so I'd have to change that - no way I'd want to pull the 425 watts trying to heat water but stretching a bit on my next propane refill - sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wasn't too hard to add.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
dkoldman - curious, our inverter does not power the inside fridge - do you rewire that circuit? If you said before sorry I missed it.

I bought a 15 foot heavy duty 15 amp rated appliance cord, cut the male end and tapped into the back of Inverter receptacle that is for the MBR TV ( that we hardly ever use). I ran the cord down the wall and under drawers and pantry to the rear of the fridge where the female side of cord now sits. I can optionally get power the OEM factory way or through the Inverter circuit. I used black silicone to seal it up. I actually wired it starting at the heater going to the MBR switch. Works perfectly. I spent $20

I think you said it doesn't take much and I might try doing same. I did add electric to the water heater and pulled off that circuit if I recall knowing it would never take the 15 amp it was on so I'd have to change that - no way I'd want to pull the 425 watts trying to heat water but stretching a bit on my next propane refill - sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wasn't too hard to add.
I didn't know you could add electric to the gas heater I don't know if we need that yet. During Spring, Summer & Fall, I can't use up our propane no matter how hard we try. With our inside fridge now being flexible to run off batteries; I will save even more propane while driving. We get hot water in 5 minutes. Our propane consumption is mainly with the Furnace heater.... and if we have electric, (which we would have to in order to use a electric water heater), we have a 1500 watt portable heater that will keep the coach toasty. Normally it is at the front of coach opposite of propane heater and close to all of the glass around windshield.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:31 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

If you remember this problem, it ended with no clear answer from Winnebago nor Magnum Energy as to why my Inverter retained power for 30 minutes once the Coach Battery Switched was turned off?

Winnebago asked me to take it to a Dealer so they could look at it to see why it would not shut off 120vac from the Inverter immediately once the Batter Switched was turned off.

Well today; I get around to taking it to a Dealer. And lo and behold, every time I flipped the Coach Battery Switch, every thing shutdown IMMEDIATELY It worked exactly as Winnebago and the wiring suggest it should.

The Dealer knowing me, is still going to review because they believe some may have been happening. But at least I know now, what it was, is intermittent.

But for now all is working as it should and nothing was fixed

Tags
inverter, power