Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dish tv

I am having a problem and someone may have a solution. When I turn off the TV the DISH receiver turns off automatically later on. Without the receiver on the satellite antenna periodically moves between the two DISH satellites. This is not a silent process and at night is annoying. I can stop the process by turning off the antenna, but that requires a new search and find. Is this normal and has anyone come up with a remedy.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Flyer,
Let the folks know which receiver and antenna system you are using as well as if the problem occurs with the remote, the on set controls, or both. That should help you get the best help.

Does your receiver have some setup menu item that turns the receiver off after a set time? Something like a sleep mode?

I have never experienced this so can't offer much.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have the same problem with a Kingdom antenna and a Dish 211 receiver. Kingdoms told me it may require a change to a multiplex cable feed from the dish to the control unit.
This is what I had 6 years ago and paid to switch to a dual feed unit to fix my problems at that time. Then paid for an satellite automatic switching feature and now go back to where I started and pay again.
I think it's time to get a new dish and stop spending money on an obsolete antenna.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

do a check switch test in the setup menu n see if you can lock it on 119 sat. thats all we use n no problems.

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I've got exactly the same issue with my Dish VIP211K and KVH antenna. It has nothing to do with the antenna it's a receiver software issue. The receiver is setup to work with a non-movable 3 lnb sat dish not a single lnb automatic satellite dome. I haven't figured out a way to correct this situation yet.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I am having a problem and someone may have a solution. When I turn off the TV the DISH receiver turns off automatically later on. Without the receiver on the satellite antenna periodically moves between the two DISH satellites. This is not a silent process and at night is annoying. I can stop the process by turning off the antenna, but that requires a new search and find. Is this normal and has anyone come up with a remedy.

I took the liberty to post this over on another RV website and got one interesting response. He suggests turning off the tv either manually or with the tv"s remote, not using the Dish satellite remote to perform this function.

Flyer,

My coach is in storage so I don't know if this will work or not, if your still using yours you might give it a try and let us know.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The Dish receivers I have had have an inactivity timer which turns them off after about 4 or 6 hours of non use. I have a 722 receiver and can turn that feature on or off by going to Menu > Preferences > Inactivity Timer. If you aren't using HD you should be able to turn the switch off and leave it off while parked. I always did until HD. Now the dome, I have Winegard, needs to move to go from HD to SD/Locals.

BTW, I've noticed since I have HD if heavy rain the signal seems to got out more quickly than it used to. Several months ago I lost the signal in rain and switched to the SD channel and never did lose it. Now if I start to lose the dignal in rain, I always switch to SD and like pre HD days rarely lose the signal, unless a very heavy thunderstorm.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post

If you have a VIP211K receiver try this:

MENU
Preferences 8
UPDATES 4

Once there you will see a screen that allows you to schedule when the receiver does updates. Next to that is a section that allows you to "DISABLE" the delay time it takes before the receiver goes inactive.

I think this will keep the receiver and antenna linked together overnight.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have a 211K and Kingdome and have the same problem. The Dish receiver reboots once per day. Using the menu, you can choose what time this occurs. In addition, you can disable the inactivity timeout. What I do is set a manual timer to tune into a specific channel (it doesn't matter which one) shortly after the select reboot time. It doesn't need to record, only tune in. This should turn the receiver back on and have the antenna lock onto a specific satellite. Because you only tuning into a channel and not recording, a timer that actually records a channel should override the original manual timer.

I kinda thought this up while I was writing it. I plan to try it next time I go out.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I would echo other posts here. Using Dish 311 and a Kingdome and I would have the same issues at night. So I found if the receiver is powered on all night this does not happen.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish