Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Dish Tailgater

Just ordered a Dish Tailgater. My friend told me that I will have to run the cable through the window and hook it up directly with the receiver as it gets it power through the cable. He said the cable in my motorhome will not power the Tailgater. We have a 2005 Sunova. Is this true?

Thanks for any help Kraig
Kraig K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Kraig:

I don't have your rig, but I do connect my carryout dishses (X1 pathway and a tailgater) directly to my 211Z receivers. I have found that connecting them into the area where the manufacturer has labeled the feeds for Sat 1/Sat 2/etc... don't seem to provide the power from the receiver back to the dish. I don't know, maybe its been split too many times inside the rig. I do know that connecting them directly from one to another, works! If you have to use a piece of flat coax to go through the window, then so be it. Good luck. So long as it works, that's what is important.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Maybe. Some work, some don't. Depends if there is amplifier that interferes with the power transfer done the cable. Try it. Mine works ok.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

While our coach is a bit newer, I hook our Tailgater cabledirecly to the Satellite wiring connector in the power bay of the coach, and if works fine, no need to run the cable directly to our 211K receiver. All you can do is try and see how yours acts.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What he said.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I have "cable in" and "tripod in"connections in the wet bay. They are controlled by an A/B switch. The Tailgater works great going through the wet bay connection.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I think your friend is correct unless your coach has both a cable in and satellite in line. The cable in usually goes thru the tv antenna amplifier and does not allow the power from the Satilite receiver to get to your tailgater.

I've had this in my last 2 coaches and it's not too difficult to run a coax the one of your utility bays into your coach. If that's too much trouble, you can probably squeeze a coax line thru the gasket of a slide out if you have one.

I know it's probably too,late, but I had a Tailgater and got rid of it to get a Pathway X2. It looks like a big ball with a flat spot on it. It has a bigger antenna, can power 2 separate receivers and can receive both western and eastern arc Dish satilites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig K View Post
Just ordered a Dish Tailgater. My friend told me that I will have to run the cable through the window and hook it up directly with the receiver as it gets it power through the cable. He said the cable in my motorhome will not power the Tailgater. We have a 2005 Sunova. Is this true?

Thanks for any help Kraig
Old 04-24-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Kraig K, looking at the drawings for your coach if you have a satellite prep plate you should have two cables in the bay behind the left rear tire one for cable and one for portable satellite. The portable satellite cable goes to a plate in the cabinet over the drivers seat. This may depend on what options are on the coach.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Kraig K, looking at the drawings for your coach if you have a satellite prep plate you should have two cables in the bay behind the left rear tire one for cable and one for portable satellite. The portable satellite cable goes to a plate in the cabinet over the drivers seat. This may depend on what options are on the coach.
I have seen the satellite in plug but, wasn't sure if the Tailgater cable was special to carry the power to run it? Will regular Tv cable run it? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

If you have a Satilite in plug you're good to go. It will work fine.

Quote:
I have seen the satellite in plug but, wasn't sure if the Tailgater cable was special to carry the power to run it? Will regular Tv cable run it? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:31 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I agree with grtharris and there should be a co0nnection in your power bay for the cable from the tailgater to plug into. Now let me tell you how it works. The cable is usually a RG-6U cable or a RG-59u cable. It has a center conductor and a shield. The signal comes in on both conductors as does the voltage to operate the tailgater. You cannot connect the sat cable to an amplifier as it will not work. I suspect near where you are going to put the receiver there is a jack that says to rec input. You will have to install a cable from there to the receiver. THen there will be a jack that says to tv and a cable from the receiver output must go there.
Lastly if you have any problems call Winnebago and their techs will help you.
Good luck!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Smile Tailgater install

I hooked up the cable to the satellite in but was unable to get HDTV. So I ran it through the window directly to the receiver seems to work great. Apparently I lose a little of the Signal runing it through the motorhome. My motorhomes is a 2005 maybe it's a little too old. My wife is happy anyhow so life is good
Old 05-15-2016, 01:45 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I hooked up the cable to the satellite in but was unable to get HDTV. So I ran it through the window directly to the receiver seems to work great. Apparently I lose a little of the Signal runing it through the motorhome. My motorhomes is a 2005 maybe it's a little too old. My wife is happy anyhow so life is good

Well you know what they say "Happy Wife, Happy Life"

Tags
dish