Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Disconnect chassis battery when on shore power?

I just got an Android RV checklist app. It is one of the better apps out there. One thing I question is do you disconnect the chassis battery when connected to shore power? No where have I seen this before and being new to motorhomes I am wondering.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have no idea why you would do that. Furthermore, many MH's have devices like the Xantrex EchoCharger to keep the chassis batteries topped off when plugged in, so disconnecting them is rather unnecessary.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I only disconnect my chassis battery when I store it for longer than 4 weeks. Otherwise its connected.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Nope. My rig has a trickle charger which keeps the chassis batteries topped off when plugged in... but even if it didn't I wouldn't be disconnecting them.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

You know your rig better than anybody, but most have a "power center" that will charge the batteries while on 110v service. No need to disconnect, even if your chassis battery, for some reason, wasn't in that loop as it wouldn't then be affected.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

There are a few different makes and models of motor homes. In some of the older ones (And I assume newer ones as well) the isolator is uni-directional (one way) when the engine is running the alternator or generator on the engine charges the house batteries, but when on shore power .. The reverse courtesy is not granted to the chassis.

On this type of motor home if you park for say 2 weeks, when you go to leave, you may find the chassis battery DEAD due to parasitic loads.

Thus, a disconnect is advised.

On many newer motor homes you have an Intelletec (or other) Bi-Directional isolator system (BIRD) and.. Well, in that case you do NOT disconnect so that your house converter can keep the chassis battery nicely filled with power.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

According to the electrical section of owners manual the chassis battery should be left connected anytime the coach is in use.

"Always leave this switch connected while using the coach". Some electronic displays and memory functions may need to be reset after power has been reconnected."

Here's a link to the 2013 Sunstar owners manual: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource.../13Sunstar.pdf
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
According to the electrical section of owners manual the chassis battery should be left connected anytime the coach is in use.

"Always leave this switch connected while using the coach". Some electronic displays and memory functions may need to be reset after power has been reconnected."

Here's a link to the 2013 Sunstar owners manual: http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource.../13Sunstar.pdf
Thanks for that. Had I looked there first I could have saved you all some time. Thanks everyone for the usual speedy responses.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgpo View Post
Thanks for that. Had I looked there first I could have saved you all some time. Thanks everyone for the usual speedy responses.
You might send the developer a note pointing out that anyone doing this is looking for trouble by disconnecting the battery when parked and on inverter, because most coaches use the battery to smooth out AC ripple and buffer spikes in the house 12V system.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Batteries use to last up to 6 years in my RVs. But since we have been full-time I never got 3 years out of my batteries. So I disconnected the the last 2 years and they also went dead. My experience.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
You might send the developer a note pointing out that anyone doing this is looking for trouble by disconnecting the battery when parked and on inverter, because most coaches use the battery to smooth out AC ripple and buffer spikes in the house 12V system.
They use the chassis battery for this?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

That's what I get for reading on an iPhone :(

In that case its just dumb....

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are a few different makes and models of motor homes. In some of the older ones (And I assume newer ones as well) the isolator is uni-directional (one way) when the engine is running the alternator or generator on the engine charges the house batteries, but when on shore power .. The reverse courtesy is not granted to the chassis.

On this type of motor home if you park for say 2 weeks, when you go to leave, you may find the chassis battery DEAD due to parasitic loads.

Thus, a disconnect is advised.

On many newer motor homes you have an Intelletec (or other) Bi-Directional isolator system (BIRD) and.. Well, in that case you do NOT disconnect so that your house converter can keep the chassis battery nicely filled with power.
I have a 2008 Itasca Navion which has the battery disconnect switch on the floor by the gas pedal. I try to take it out once a month to "excercise" it. I have recently began to disconnect the chassis battery due to parasitic load on it. Are you saying that I no longer need to? We live in the Northeast ( Ma.) and it is cold outside. I leave the shore power plugged in all the time. I have purchased a Trik-L-Start to be installed come Springtime. Then my plan is to leave it plugged into shore power all of the time during winter storage with the expectations of the Trik-L-Start doing its job and charge my chassis battery also. Does this seem reasonable to you?
Thanks.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

papaw.1

I know alot of newer MH has battery disconnect switch by the door,mine included so I just check the water level and I am going to do the Mineral Oil thing in the spring.Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I looked at your manual and the instruction about leaving the battery connected is for the house battery.

In another place it tells you to use the disconnect switch for the chassis if you are not using the rig for two weeks. I think that is confusing.

In my experience with my 2010 Suncruiser, if I don't disconnect the chassis batter for two weeks without driving the chassis battery will be dead.

I disconnect the chassis batter whenever I don't drive for two or three days.
Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
I know alot of newer MH has battery disconnect switch by the door,mine included so I just check the water level and I am going to do the Mineral Oil thing in the spring.Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles
Whats the Mineral oil Thing>
13 Adventurer 37F
mike garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike garry View Post
Whats the Mineral oil Thing>
If you add mineral oil to the battery cells it stops evaporation and reduces out gassing and corrosion of the battery terminals and wires.

To check to see if your chassis batteries are charged when on shore power, use a multimeter to read the voltage of the chassis batteries when unplugged, then plug in shore cord and measure again. You should see more voltage when connected if you have a rig wired to charge both sets of batteries from shore power.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the response. Safe travels
13 Adventurer 37F
mike garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

In the battery realm, if it says maintenance free, does that mean you don't have to check for water? Don't laugh!
tdarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdarlene View Post
In the battery realm, if it says maintenance free, does that mean you don't have to check for water? Don't laugh!
Not laughing, especially if you neglect a 'maintenance free' battery and have to replace it. They still need to be checked for proper electrolyte at least once a year or more frequently if they are being over charged. Not sure why they are called that, except perhaps gluing or making the caps difficult to remove allows them to sell more batteries.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis, power