Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
Administrator Emeritus

Seems like I'm making (thinking) this harder than it is,but not wanting to deal with the dealer and doing myself, I have a question.
Every other time I've had SAT in an rv,I've had a home SAT receiver as well....

Now not having that,am I able just to go Bestbuy and pick up a receiver and then put it in myself?

I'm then guessing I just put the receiver inline between the sat control box and that monstrosity of a control box for the coach?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
Administrator Emeritus

Seems like I'm making (thinking) this harder than it is,but not wanting to deal with the dealer and doing myself, I have a question.
Every other time I've had SAT in an rv,I've had a home SAT receiver as well....

Now not having that,am I able just to go Bestbuy and pick up a receiver and then put it in myself?

I'm then guessing I just put the receiver inline between the sat control box and that monstrosity of a control box for the coach?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Get your new receiver hook it up and call DirecTV. They will then activate your receiver while you're on the phone. No phone line needed to the receiver. They'll bill you an additional $5 a month for the receiver. I'm assuming you want your new receiver under you current plan.

Do you have the RV waiver on your home plan??
If you don't have the RV waiver on file with DirecTV fill one out and mail it in. Then add the East and West coast network feeds to you plan. I think I pay $9 a month for those. I never drop them. When home I receive both my local networks and the East and Westcoast networks.

Tom
Quail Roost RV CG, Crystal River, FL until Apr
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

For DirecTV I had to set the dip switches on my auto roof dish to sat 101. The dip switches are on the roof.

Not certain what dish you have. Read your dish manual.

Tom
Quail Roost RV CG, Crystal River, FL until Apr
Old 01-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My Vectra has two satellite connections and one connection to the control box at the rear of the top shelf above the driver. Connect the receiver input to the roof sat connection and the out put to the control; ox connection (can't remember what it is labeled).

Later you may want to use a S-video connector between the sat receiver and the TV (bypassing the control box) for a better picture and ease of switching between the sat and local antenna. Of course you will need to call Direct and have the unit activated.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Tom- As I posted,i DO NOT have satelite of any kind right now,as that's the problem.
When I had satelite in the stick house I just took the receiver out to the rv....

CalTex- That's what I was looking for....good you have a Vectra as well.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

TomN,

what is the RV Waiver option you are referring to with respect to DirectTV? I just added a second receiver for my RV and still have a receiver at home. I have the local channels at home with a dual LNBF dish. Would I have to add the East West networks ...or does the waiver you speak of get that for free?

Thanks!

Matt
Matt1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Directv waiver form
Old 01-05-2006, 09:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to Bob C
thanks rebelsbeach for the link to directv... i was just about to file the affadavit when i red the page - it would appear that if you execuited the affadavit, you would be charged full price for the receiver in the rv... no more $4.99/month...

can this be true??

bob csale

Bob & Terry Casale
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I use 2 receivers from my house. No additional charge over the $4.99 each per month. I pay $9 a month for both the East and West coast network feeds.

If you buy an additional recevier and dedicate it to your RV you'll be charged the same as a home receiver, $4.99 a month. Just take one from home in the coach.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

that is exactly my situation now.. did you fill out the form for DIRECTTV and send it in?? what bothered me was the sentence at the bottom of the page (when you go to the link in the post above) where it says if you request this option, that unit will no longer be a 'mirror image' of your base unit, but you must pay full charge for the monthly services it is programmed for.. maybe i misunderstood..

bob

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 01-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

this is the paragraph that concerned me.....

"However, if your permanent residence account lists more than one receiver and one of these is located in your vehicle, you will no longer be able to "mirror" the services on the additional receiver in your vehicle. We will need to charge you the full monthly programming package price for this additional receiver, instead of the $4.99 a month programming mirroring fee you may be paying currently."

bob

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 01-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

If they ask, tell them all receivers will be removed from the house and used in the RV. They never asked me.

Direct does not want the home receiver being used while another receiver is being used on the road.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I have 2 receivers and both are mirrored. I keep both my local channels and the East and West coast networks all the time.

DirecTV has given me no problems.

If you don't get what you want keep calling until you get a rep that gives you what you want.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:57 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

All this dual receiver stuff is fine but it bypasses the original question and we're kinda hyjacking the thread here. Rebelsbeach has no satellite TV any more, nada, zip. So, he's starting from scratch with one single receiver and a coach that's satellite TV ready.

Plugging it into the coach is going to be easy. The issue is getting DirecTV to recognize it so that they can enable it to receive channels. In order to do this, you need a receiver and the ID card for that receiver. Then a phone call will have to be made to DirecTV telling them that you have an RV with a single receiver and you want service with national network feeds because you are roving.

They "should" be able to set this up over the phone if you give them the serial ID numbers off the receiver. However, DirecTV can be vague sometimes about what they will or won't do and there may be a clause requiring only certain receivers or resellers for RV use.

My first choice would be to call DirecTV and tell them what you want to do and ask if there's any problem with that. If they say "no problem", go get your receiver, plug it in, make the call, and start paying the bill.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

ok thanks for the info

bob

Bob & Terry Casale
Old 01-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks Cruzer

I've been in contact with a Directv/Direcway provider today and am now leaning toward not only directv,but satelite internet in the coach as well...By the time I write all these checks,the DW will make me sleep in the thing,so I'm making it a real nice dog house!!
Old 01-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #18
ymi
Winnebago Camper

I originally started with the Sat in the motorhome only - with the optional E/W feed. I wanted to get a second receiver for the MH for this current stay in Florida. Called Direct TV, they only charged me for a "move" - came to my house, installed a dish, new receiver - wanted a 1 year agreement all no charge and the second (new)receiver mirrors the one in the MH.
Now 1 feeds the front TV the other feeds the rear TV (and outsde jack)
Old 01-22-2006, 03:55 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Rebelsbeach..To answer your first question....If you go to Best Buy and just buy a box for the coach, you'll still have to sign up with DirecTV and pay the basic subscription for the system. They won't let you buy a box and pay a discounted price just for your RV.

I recently changed my house over to DirecTV so that I would have the abillity to add an additional box to the motor home. I didn't want to pay the basic price for cable and DirecTV.

I would check, but if you buy the system just for your RV you may end up paying that charge for a mobile system. When I ordered mine, I had two installed in the house and I placed one in the RV. I told them that it was in the RV and they never charged me anything extra.

Be aware that the DirecTV box runs extremely hot and is always running/receiving a signal, even though you turned it off externally. Mine was located in an overheard cabinet to the right of the front tv and was getting extremely hot if I closed the cabinet door. For safety reasons I routinely unplug it. It takes a few minutes more to start back up. If I'm in a campground using it regularly I leave it plugged in, but I leave the cabinet door open.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks for the info Don....

I'm now looking at bringing Datastorm through that compartment as well,so rather than leaving the cabinet door open I am investigating the possibility of obtaining a louvered door for that cabinet.
Could always buy an "extra door" and router my own louvers in it...

Also....I thought about "converting" the house to satelite tv.but ,y cable internet is speedy fast....Would hate to lose that.